Gaming Temporarily Banned from communities already

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Good. It's certainly a refreshing change from Microsoft and Sony's policy, where you can say whatever the fuck you want to anyone you like without so much as an awkward look from GMs.

It's a service that Nintendo provides free of charge. You either play by their rules, or you don't play (online) at all.

Reactions: loco365

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Good. It's certainly a refreshing change from Microsoft and Sony's policy, where you can say whatever the fuck you want to anyone you like without so much as an awkward look from GMs.

It's a service that Nintendo provides free of charge. You either play by their rules, or you don't play (online) at all.
It's nice that they're actively modding some things, but when they're making people remove Twitter names, 3DS friend codes, etc. from their profiles, it's a bit ridiculous.

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure it goes over the top at points, but I kinda like how moderated Miiverse is. Much as I have been known to swear like a sailor during game time, it's nice to have a community that isn't going to be screaming "faggot" every other word...
You FAGGOT! Don't FAGGOT! You FAGGOT! like FAGGOT! the FAGGOT! word FAGGOT!...FAGGOT!?
Trololololol
on topic: I don't plan on buying a wii u now! I'll stick to my unrestricted wii for wi-fi games till nintendo gets their shit straight.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You FAGGOT! Don't FAGGOT! You FAGGOT! like FAGGOT! the FAGGOT! word FAGGOT!...FAGGOT!?
Trololololol
on topic: I don't plan on buying a wii u now! I'll stick to my unrestricted wii for wi-fi games till nintendo gets their shit straight.

Why* (instead of the first You).

Aaaaand... I wouldn't have a problem buying the wii u just because of this... It is silly, yes, but I don't have to visit the miiverse at all. I have facebook and gbatemp for communities, gamefaqs for help if I get stuck, and could doodle penises irl and pass it to my friends...

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Simply put, if you want to participate in a community, you follow their rules. Just because their rules aren't the same as other communities, like here for instance, doesn't mean their ret.....no! I'm not gonna go there!

edit

Just for the heck of it, I searched for "retardis", and yes, it must be some joke of Dr Who, but uses the same offensive connotation, as people seem to use it to reference a person being more retarded on the inside than they appear to be on the outside, like how the Tardis is bigger on the inside than the outside.

That's all I can assume from the situation, since you have yet to tell us what your joke was.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is actually exactly what I wanted to see, a bunch of (kids) getting banned for using offensive desensitized words that they all to often use these days during gaming. It's the reason that I do not play online with randoms on other platforms, it's just not pleasant and it's also why I hate COD or most shooters now a days.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I think this is sweet, and a sweet rule. Internet these days have gotten so bad by everybody basically bashing other people for the dumbest reasons and shit. It'd be a nice change to have a friendly community.
I agree (with you, and everyone else saying this), but we don't even know the context behind the ban. We don't even know what context "reTARDIS" was used in, and it's quite possible it wasn't even used as an insult at all. And other people have mentioned getting banned for saying "flipped off" (as in, "ticked off"), which suggests Nintendo is just being oversensitive and overzealous about ANY word/phrase that might be considered "off color" be even an extreme minority. That troubles me. I don't want to have to worry about posting "I just barely missed the third star coin in world 4-2, darn!" and getting banned for three days.

Reactions: Ericss

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well as long as you are aware of the rules of the road you should have a nice trip.

That being said it would be nice if there was an option of segregating the community a bit, those who don't care what anyone says and those who would rather not have to deal with cursing, racism, perverted people and general scum.... I know where I would be hanging out but if I didn't that's because my jokes would get me banned in like 20 seconds and not just for 3 days... lol

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The internet is full of offensive or questionable language and at times is quite tiresome of seeing insults and name calling and most of that comes from kids. So I fully support Nintendo in taking Miiverse seriously by trying to keep all language that could offend even just a single person out of Miiverse.
That's asinine, Nintendo would have to censor everything. See here.

This is actually exactly what I wanted to see, a bunch of (kids) getting banned for using offensive desensitized words that they all to often use these days during gaming. It's the reason that I do not play online with randoms on other platforms, it's just not pleasant and it's also why I hate COD or most shooters now a days.
Isn't moderation limited to the Miiverse?

That being said it would be nice if there was an option of segregating the community a bit, those who don't care what anyone says and those who would rather not have to deal with cursing, racism, perverted people and general scum.... I know where I would be hanging out but if I didn't that's because my jokes would get me banned in like 20 seconds and not just for 3 days... lol
I have to agree with this. Make a separate section in the Miiverse for people who don't care about what others say, and prefer others' comments and drawings (and those of their own) to become visible instantly. With the current monitored system, one has to wait minutes (sometimes even half an hour) for their message to appear. (Edit: My mistake)

Reactions: TripleSMoon

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree with this. Make a separate section in the Miiverse for people who don't care about whatever others say, and prefer others' comments and drawings (and those of their own) to become visible instantly. With the current monitored system, one has to wait minutes (sometimes even half an hour) for their message to appear.

Messages are instant. Moderation only occurs if your message is flagged by another user, auto-flagged due to word usage, or caught directly by a moderator.

Reactions: Snailface

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Messages are instant. Moderation only occurs if your message is flagged by another user, auto-flagged due to word usage, or caught directly by a moderator.
I had read that every single message is monitored and has to be approved before becoming visible. That was inaccurate? Or maybe it only applies to drawings?

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
I had read that every single message is monitored and has to be approved before becoming visible. That was inaccurate? Or maybe it only applies to drawings?

Inaccurate. I've received 'yeah's on my posts (mostly drawings actually) within seconds of making them. If there was a moderation team actively working this fast, they couldn't be human.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated OP after calling Nintendo, I got myself unbanned and they agreed that the ban was not necessary and that a warning would suffice. I just forgot to post because I've been playing games all day

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this already got answered earlier but since it's so easy to make multiple NNID's on the system, if your ban stuck, could you just create another ID and go on your way? Or do they somehow ban the entire console from getting access permanently?

I will say this, after being a very active user for so many years on GF's and IGN, I really hope they keep Miiverse clean and under tight control. It's really odd browsing through all the posts and seeing nothing but upbeat and positive posts. I still see some that are negative but not in a childish, trolling kind of way.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Called Nintendo this morning, they said that I shouldn't have been banned for the comment and that it should have just been deleted with a message coming my way reminding me about the code of conduct. I was unbanned and they put a 20 dollars credit on my shop account to "say sorry, my bad"

Well that was pretty generous of them, and a little odd that an unnecessary 3-day ban (which was just temporary) lead to $20 eShop credit. Now...to think of ways to get a light ban for something that should have only gotten a warning...

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that was pretty generous of them, and a little odd that an unnecessary 3-day ban (which was just temporary) lead to $20 eShop credit. Now...to think of ways to get a light ban for something that should have only gotten a warning...

Well, whenever stuff like this happens to me (not terribly frequently though) I tend to complain my butt off until they give me something to make me shut up, I know I win the jackass award for my conduct when it comes to being a customer but it really is a good way to get what you want. If you want a tip for dealing with customer service, bring up the money that you paid with and the fact that you feel like you weren't fairly treated and do it without yelling.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?