Hacking TempGBA: NDSGBA revival

Do GBA games make your nono parts happy?

• Total voters

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TempGBA has been featured in a Supercard English Forum thread: http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-11299-1-1.html

TempGBA beta 6, the GUI Loose Ends Edition, is available. As its name implies, it fixes a few things that were subtly wrong with the GUI.
* Rapid button presses and releases should be ignored much less often.
* Button auto-repeating in the menu is now set to 1/20 second instead of 1/5, with the first repetition at half a second.
* The position in a submenu is kept in case you want to enter the submenu again.

Reactions: Rydian

ultimatetemper

Trophies
XP
Country
Other 3 questions.
Where should I place the BIOS?
Is Golden Sun audio fixed?
and
Is the save bug (you need to save twice to data to be saved) fixed?

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Other 3 questions.
a) Where should I place the BIOS?
b) Is Golden Sun audio fixed?
and
c) Is the save bug (you need to save twice to data to be saved) fixed?
a) Explained in the readme.
b) Mostly. Set the CPU frequency to [5] 396 MHz after booting Golden Sun, and you should hear that the sound is OK everywhere but the graphics-intensive parts of battles, such as executing attacks.
c) Was there such a bug? Perhaps you could test that for me in TempGBA and tell me what's up.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I dump my GBA Bios?
In the Supercard link says it's necessary to TempGBA to work.

If you don't have a GBA flashcart an easier alternative that may or may not be legal is downloading one online. Either way it will be named gba_bios.bin
(*coughgoogle*).

ultimatetemper

Trophies
XP
Country
Tested Golden Sun: The Lost Age (sound) and Pokemon Leaf Green (save)
Now games save and load fine.
But Golden Sun still has sound bugs. I set the CPU frequency to 5 and I had issues in the menu with the sound, and after that I noticed some slowdowns in the menu, when the psynergy Move was used and when Alex appeared.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've discovered an issue with frame skipping as of beta 6 which I'll try to fix and optimise if applicable...

When playing a game that causes a slowdown, frame skip increases, and there's a chance that an earlier frame will be rendered again, effectively rendering time in reverse for a fraction of a second. This makes the screen appear to flicker. It also occurs when activating and deactivating fast-forwarding.

It's possible, but unlikely, that audio skips are caused by the screen rendering the current or previous frame due to this bug.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
How does this fare compared to the other GBA emulators for DSTwo?
Fixed that for 'ya. :P There was only one GBA emulator for the DSTwo until now.

Unless you meant ichichfly's emulator, which isn't DSTwo-specific, is harder to use, and has much lower compatibility.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Fixed that for 'ya. :P There was only one GBA emulator for the DSTwo until now.

Unless you meant ichichfly's emulator, which isn't DSTwo-specific, is harder to use, and has much lower compatibility.

Actually, ichichfly didn't write a GBA emulator. It's a hypervisor which is much harder to do, especially without having a MMU to work with.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, that one, and I thought there was another unofficial mod of the DSTwo NDSGBA....?
Oh? I am unaware of that one. Mind you, I just bought a DSTwo last November (2012-11), and people on the forum hold Syphurith and me in high regard for "finally" acquiring the source code after what seems like an eternity of failure - so I don't think there's another effort underway. As always, prove me wrong and I shall listen! Maybe I'll learn a couple things along the way.

This emulator's lineage is:
  • gpSP 0.9 by Exophase and other GBA developers
    • unofficial gpSP Kai 3.3 by Takka
      • NDSGBA 1.21 by DarkChen/Supercard
      • CATSFC 1.34 GUI, languages by GBAtemp, GUI improvements by ShadauxCat, Nebuleon, BassAceGold
        • TempGBA <current version> by Nebuleon, Normmatt, BassAceGold

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-