TempGBA: NDSGBA revival

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Nebuleon, Feb 18, 2013.

?

Do GBA games make your nono parts happy?

1. Yes

95.5%
  2. No

4.5%
Feb 18, 2013

TempGBA: NDSGBA revival by Nebuleon at 8:49 PM (282,734 Views / 22 Likes) 1,303 replies

1. SuzieJoeBob

Member SuzieJoeBob NOT a New Member

United States
    Either. I may not a God of Programming, but I know a very good amount and I could possibly help.Also, most people either want everything handed to them, are just too shy/unsure of themselves to help (I've experienced that), or don't want to screw anything up and be exiled for trying to help. Some people just cannot provide help, such as not having a DSTWO to test or don't know any programming.

I'm very attentive and, as my professor put it, "notice the things that 99.99...[said "9" a bunch of times]...% of people never will. Hell, even the programmers don't care about it!"

P.S. Just give me the things that you are waiting until the very end to do so that there won't be any interference. That, and you won't notice your work being changed "behind your back". (Not to mention wasting your time doing so...)

2. Boriar

Member Boriar GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Some question i have. Are BAG and Normatt still helping in that project or it's now your project with help of other people??

3. Nebuleon
    OP

Member Nebuleon MAH BOI/GURL

Canada
    Well then, here's my late TODO list:
    * Sleep during emulation if KEY_LID is pressed (input.c).
    * Transplant the quick sort method from CATSFC into TempGBA (gui.c).
    * Look into removing unneeded MIPS NOPs in recompiled GBA code (mips_emit.h).
    * Look into removing unneeded instructions in mips_stub.S.

You could also try hooking fast-forward as a hotkey: make a new variable called temporary_fast_forward, check for it in addition to game_fast_forward where game_fast_forward is checked, and hook it like the rewinding hotkey. The fast-forward hotkey is in my early TODO list, though.

4. Nebuleon
    OP

Canada
    BAG and Normmatt helped me with the initial porting effort, hooking things that were completely broken -- like figuring out how to send audio to the DS, showing the image on the upper screen, loading ROMs, loading zips, the directory structure, ARG() support, and drawing the menu. Now it's mostly my project, but Normmatt still reviews my code as I commit it to GitHub.

5. lichao8872

Newcomer lichao8872 Newbie

China
    Thank you Nebuleon, you are the best!!! this GBA emulator is very good !!

6. terriblewaffles

Newcomer terriblewaffles Newbie

United States
    i was curious because i was wondering if it would be possible to have an option that does the same thing but with 0 frameskip and an fps limit so you could get native speeds at the expense of audio

7. Nebuleon
    OP

Canada
    That's not very fast, then, is it? Also, I believe that limiting the FPS entails skipping frames anyway. So we are back at square one.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Is the transition from Alpha->Beta going to coincide with feature implementation being done and moving into bugfixes and compatibility, or is it just going to signify the core being considered stable enough that it's safe to use, and Beta will still see core feature additions?

9. lichao8872

China
    Please upload TempGBA beta1 file. I will test it. thanks

10. lichao8872

China
  11. Nebuleon
    OP

Canada
    TempGBA beta version 1 is now released on the categorised Filetrip listings.

Those who used the alphas, please take note of the directory structure change.
    * Please put your games in TEMPGBA/GAMES (formerly gamepak), cheat files in TEMPGBA/CHEATS (formerly gamecht), and move your saves from gamerts to TEMPGBA/SAVES. Pictures will go to TEMPGBA/PICS.
    * Menus now have the first item selected by default instead of the back button.
    * The back button is more visibly selected when it is.
    * The saved state UI has been revamped. The delete menu now starts with the row of single state deletion cells. The screenshot of the currently selected saved state is shown upon entering the saved state menu, or when changing states in any row (create, load and delete) for convenience, or after saving a state. The time at which a saved state was created is shown with its screenshot.

The entire changelog is now in the beta 1 listing on Filetrip, including changes from NDSGBA 1.30. It's also in the opening post for everyone's convenience.

2ndApex likes this.
  12. Nebuleon
    OP

Canada
    Alphas meant that the emulator could probably lose your stuff if you breathed on it funny. Betas should be better about that, because in the alphas I made sure it wouldn't lose your stuff. In the betas I'll make sure the UI is hooked right and I'll add features from CATSFC. Then I'll concentrate on features and the emulator core, as far as my knowledge will get me.

13. Nebuleon
    OP

Canada
    I've released beta 2, which fixes a problem with the directory structure introduced by beta 1. I forgot to change them in the emulator itself, so it wasn't looking there.

E: If you have recently played games from an alpha, please reset settings by going into Options then touching "Restore default settings".

14. lichao8872

China
    ok ,thanks a lot !

15. syrusch

Member syrusch GBAtemp Regular

Switzerland
    NDSGBA v1.21 use the NDSGBA folder on the root of the SD. Can we have the main folder named GBA and not TEMPGBA ?

16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  17. Nebuleon
    OP

Canada
    I've found an issue with the GUI in beta 2. When deleting a single saved state from the menu, a message asking whether you want to delete ALL SAVED STATES appears. That message is accurate.

I'll fix this tomorrow along with some more things, but in the meantime there's a workaround:
    * If you want to delete one saved state, select it in the row of deletion cells, then go to "Delete all saved states". It will ask you if you want to delete the single selected state.
    * If you want to delete all saved states, attempt to delete just one.

18. Phantombrainm

Newcomer Phantombrainm Member

Germany
    Hi there. First thanks for updating GBA Emu!

I've got a question or maybe feature request. I'm nearly sure EU Games have different languages in it since i played them in a different language as english.
    All Emulators i know only show the EN Language. As i know GBA's use the Bios to determine the country.
    This means the Emulator must have a Bios included and its seems to be a US or some english default one. I positivly noticed that I can change the GUI language but it doesn't affect the games.

Am I right so far? If so - wouldn't it be possible to include all BIOS Versions and switch them if the user sets a different language?

I think this must be easy because its just a different file to access?

regards,
    PhantombrainM

19. Nebuleon
    OP

Canada
    I am not aware of how GBA multi-language cartridges work, nor am I aware of multiple BIOSes existing, nor do I know how the BIOS is implemented in NDSGBA. The original gpSP readme file mentions the user needing to dump the BIOS or download it and bear legal responsibility for that; maybe NDSGBA bakes it in or implements the BIOS functions... in either case, I don't know how one would go about multi-language BIOSes.

You are correct that the language option in the GUI only changes the GUI.

20. ferret7463

Member ferret7463 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I would not see the point of this. There is no regional lock on the roms.