Hacking TempGBA: NDSGBA revival

Do GBA games make your nono parts happy?

• Total voters

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By "look at", do you mean testing or programming?
Either. I may not a God of Programming, but I know a very good amount and I could possibly help.Also, most people either want everything handed to them, are just too shy/unsure of themselves to help (I've experienced that), or don't want to screw anything up and be exiled for trying to help. Some people just cannot provide help, such as not having a DSTWO to test or don't know any programming.

I'm very attentive and, as my professor put it, "notice the things that 99.99...[said "9" a bunch of times]...% of people never will. Hell, even the programmers don't care about it!"

P.S. Just give me the things that you are waiting until the very end to do so that there won't be any interference. That, and you won't notice your work being changed "behind your back". (Not to mention wasting your time doing so...)

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
Some question i have. Are BAG and Normatt still helping in that project or it's now your project with help of other people??

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Either. I may not a God of Programming, but I know a very good amount and I could possibly help.Also, most people either want everything handed to them, are just too shy/unsure of themselves to help (I've experienced that), or don't want to screw anything up and be exiled for trying to help. Some people just cannot provide help, such as not having a DSTWO to test or don't know any programming.

I'm very attentive and, as my professor put it, "notice the things that 99.99...[said "9" a bunch of times]...% of people never will. Hell, even the programmers don't care about it!"

P.S. Just give me the things that you are waiting until the very end to do so that there won't be any interference. That, and you won't notice your work being changed "behind your back". (Not to mention wasting your time doing so...)
Well then, here's my late TODO list:
* Sleep during emulation if KEY_LID is pressed (input.c).
* Transplant the quick sort method from CATSFC into TempGBA (gui.c).
* Look into removing unneeded MIPS NOPs in recompiled GBA code (mips_emit.h).
* Look into removing unneeded instructions in mips_stub.S.

You could also try hooking fast-forward as a hotkey: make a new variable called temporary_fast_forward, check for it in addition to game_fast_forward where game_fast_forward is checked, and hook it like the rewinding hotkey. The fast-forward hotkey is in my early TODO list, though.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some question i have. Are BAG and Normatt still helping in that project or it's now your project with help of other people??
BAG and Normmatt helped me with the initial porting effort, hooking things that were completely broken -- like figuring out how to send audio to the DS, showing the image on the upper screen, loading ROMs, loading zips, the directory structure, ARG() support, and drawing the menu. Now it's mostly my project, but Normmatt still reviews my code as I commit it to GitHub.

lichao8872

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Get the plugin, version ALPHA 8 (that means it may or may not work): http://filetrip.net/dl?h5WwNJjVz6

GitHub for source and bug reporting: https://github.com/Nebuleon/TempGBA

CALL FOR TESTING: Please report any trouble writing or reading save files, saved states, emulator configuration and game configuration, as well as trouble reading unzipped ROMs and zipped ROMs.

To-do list, importing improvements from CATSFC
* Remove unneeded files.
* Transplant touch screen support from CATSFC.
Start from CATSFC commit e0e53e874b8943461acc8289200c38adc4e02b11.
[Current touch screen support may incorrectly handle some menus.]
* Use cppcheck to look for buffer overflows and uninitialised memory access.
* Transplant localised text from CATSFC. Also add CATSFC commit 100c3bd9e9f9e7fc809434706ddcc2fde96143af.
* Reimplement Quicksort for the file selectors. Start from CATSFC commit cfa1c811c65f1b8a10d9034a5974d617cda92ec6.
* Sleep on lid close.
Start from CATSFC commits 7c2a30c5b54e000106e466ba44fcc040746a0c90
and 362b28e9372d124ac6602bfc49e9775e510ba929.
[Current sleep support is just in the menu.]
* Add hotkeys. Start from CATSFC commit 71a57cc449a42721eb0cd90cab07c57bbd9c9512.
[A rewind hotkey is available, but the rest are missing.]
* Improve cheat support (cannot be transplanted from CATSFC).
* Add a full screen (expanded) aspect ratio.

Bugs or issues:
* In some games, underwater mode audio is constant, such as the two Golden Suns.
* The date of a saved state is missing in the load state display.
* Can't load a .zip ROM in the recently played games list.
* Doesn't load the latest saved state for a ROM in the recently played games list.
* Core issue with the sound needing a saved-state format change.

For beta 1:
* New subdirectory structure for the system directory.

Issues reported by Rydian in post #223:
* (UI) Back icon in the default skin needs to be more visibly selected. Also applies to CATSFC.
* Fast-forward sound is bubbly.
* (UI) Path scroller flashes away and back too often when moving between files.

Suggestions made by Boriar in post #237:
* (UI) [Submenu name] instead of Submenu name... in a list of options containing a submenu.
* (UI) Using <None> in unassigned hotkeys and button mappings.

Issues and suggestions by Rydian in post #241:
* (UI) Back button behavior inconsistency, may also apply to CATSFC.
* (UI) FPS counter.

If you're interested in doing one of those things, make yourself a fork of TempGBA on GitHub, look at the CATSFC commit and edit the files, then make a commit to your fork of TempGBA and push it to GitHub before making a pull request, which BassAceGold, Normmatt and I can handle to include your code into the main version. Help is available on GitHub if you want to get started quickly with editing files and making commits.

Thank you Nebuleon, you are the best!!! this GBA emulator is very good !!

terriblewaffles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works by continuing emulation at 9 frameskip, and starting to discard audio if the DS's hands are already full.
i was curious because i was wondering if it would be possible to have an option that does the same thing but with 0 frameskip and an fps limit so you could get native speeds at the expense of audio

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i was curious because i was wondering if it would be possible to have an option that does the same thing but with 0 frameskip and an fps limit so you could get native speeds at the expense of audio
That's not very fast, then, is it? Also, I believe that limiting the FPS entails skipping frames anyway. So we are back at square one.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TempGBA beta version 1 is now released on the categorised Filetrip listings.

Those who used the alphas, please take note of the directory structure change.
* Please put your games in TEMPGBA/GAMES (formerly gamepak), cheat files in TEMPGBA/CHEATS (formerly gamecht), and move your saves from gamerts to TEMPGBA/SAVES. Pictures will go to TEMPGBA/PICS.
* Menus now have the first item selected by default instead of the back button.
* The back button is more visibly selected when it is.
* The saved state UI has been revamped. The delete menu now starts with the row of single state deletion cells. The screenshot of the currently selected saved state is shown upon entering the saved state menu, or when changing states in any row (create, load and delete) for convenience, or after saving a state. The time at which a saved state was created is shown with its screenshot.

The entire changelog is now in the beta 1 listing on Filetrip, including changes from NDSGBA 1.30. It's also in the opening post for everyone's convenience.

Reactions: 2ndApex

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is the transition from Alpha->Beta going to coincide with feature implementation being done and moving into bugfixes and compatibility, or is it just going to signify the core being considered stable enough that it's safe to use, and Beta will still see core feature additions?
Alphas meant that the emulator could probably lose your stuff if you breathed on it funny. Betas should be better about that, because in the alphas I made sure it wouldn't lose your stuff. In the betas I'll make sure the UI is hooked right and I'll add features from CATSFC. Then I'll concentrate on features and the emulator core, as far as my knowledge will get me.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've released beta 2, which fixes a problem with the directory structure introduced by beta 1. I forgot to change them in the emulator itself, so it wasn't looking there.

E: If you have recently played games from an alpha, please reset settings by going into Options then touching "Restore default settings".

lichao8872

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I've released beta 2, which fixes a problem with the directory structure introduced by beta 1. I forgot to change them in the emulator itself, so it wasn't looking there.

E: If you have recently played games from an alpha, please reset settings by going into Options then touching "Restore default settings".
ok ,thanks a lot !

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've found an issue with the GUI in beta 2. When deleting a single saved state from the menu, a message asking whether you want to delete ALL SAVED STATES appears. That message is accurate.

I'll fix this tomorrow along with some more things, but in the meantime there's a workaround:
* If you want to delete one saved state, select it in the row of deletion cells, then go to "Delete all saved states". It will ask you if you want to delete the single selected state.
* If you want to delete all saved states, attempt to delete just one.

Phantombrainm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi there. First thanks for updating GBA Emu!

I've got a question or maybe feature request. I'm nearly sure EU Games have different languages in it since i played them in a different language as english.
All Emulators i know only show the EN Language. As i know GBA's use the Bios to determine the country.
This means the Emulator must have a Bios included and its seems to be a US or some english default one. I positivly noticed that I can change the GUI language but it doesn't affect the games.

Am I right so far? If so - wouldn't it be possible to include all BIOS Versions and switch them if the user sets a different language?

I think this must be easy because its just a different file to access?

regards,
PhantombrainM

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I've got a question or maybe feature request. I'm nearly sure EU Games have different languages in it since i played them in a different language as english.
All Emulators i know only show the EN Language. As i know GBA's use the Bios to determine the country.
This means the Emulator must have a Bios included and its seems to be a US or some english default one. I positivly noticed that I can change the GUI language but it doesn't affect the games.

Am I right so far? If so - wouldn't it be possible to include all BIOS Versions and switch them if the user sets a different language?

regards,
PhantombrainM
I am not aware of how GBA multi-language cartridges work, nor am I aware of multiple BIOSes existing, nor do I know how the BIOS is implemented in NDSGBA. The original gpSP readme file mentions the user needing to dump the BIOS or download it and bear legal responsibility for that; maybe NDSGBA bakes it in or implements the BIOS functions... in either case, I don't know how one would go about multi-language BIOSes.

You are correct that the language option in the GUI only changes the GUI.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

regards,
PhantombrainM
I would not see the point of this. There is no regional lock on the roms.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.