XP
Country
United States
same with switch
1)users who do not care about VR
2)users who care casually about VR
3)users who want full VR experience
and they will have different hardware options for each type of user /customer
Lol, no chance. Vive has already covered the ask for an independent VR unit with no wires, since there's a wireless attachment for the headset now. You still need stronk PC to power it. Nintendo isn't going to release a $600+ version of Switch that does proper VR gaming in that form factor. It'd be financial suicide, they already saw what a $600 price tag did to the PS3.

Maybe, but they sure sounded like they wanted to do it though. It didn't read like they were looking for excuses to not do it.
Yeah but that's simply the reality of the situation. At a minimum I know they're working on a WC3 remaster, a D2 remaster, and constant updates to most of their games.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Again Switch VR is not gonna work ! 720P resolution means in theorie like 480p per eye or less. An oculus rift and vive wich i own both are using 1440p screens and still have a screendoor effect and blurry at times. A 720p screen will never work for VR
I would take the opinions of a guy who thinks anything under 1440p needs anti-aliasing with a grain of salt :P
Anyways, this confirms VR in no fucking way.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I would take the opinions of a guy who thinks anything under 1440p needs anti-aliasing with a grain of salt :P
Anyways, this confirms VR in no fucking way.
Dear god, 1080p with NO AA? *Shudder.*

That's not really the point, though. VR requires a higher resolution (or a creative solution like PSVR's tri-subpixel display) if you don't want to be staring at pixels 6 inches big.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe, but they sure sounded like they wanted to do it though. It didn't read like they were looking for excuses to not do it.
of course they are going to do it, they are just not going to tell the consumer about their plans for planned obsolesence
they want you to buy a switch and a switch VR or switch HD or whatever the next hardware revision will be called
they do not want you to say oh well maybe i will wait a little till the new one comes out, they are not going to outright tell you they are making a new hardware revision that does more right now when they are trying to sell the current model
the fact that they even eluded to it all means that yes they definitely are going to do it

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lol, no chance. Vive has already covered the ask for an independent VR unit with no wires, since there's a wireless attachment for the headset now. You still need stronk PC to power it. Nintendo isn't going to release a $600+ version of Switch that does proper VR gaming in that form factor. It'd be financial suicide, they already saw what a $600 price tag did to the PS3.
A VR-capable console that would still be a handheld form-factor would need bleeding-edge technology. Even if it was possible, it'd cost waaaayyy more than $600 :P

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
of course they are going to do it, they are just not going to tell the consumer about their plans for planned obsolesence
they want you to buy a switch and a switch VR or switch HD or whatever the next hardware revision will be called
they do not want you to say oh well maybe i will wait a little till the new one comes out, they are not going to outright tell you they are making a new hardware revision that does more right now when they are trying to sell the current model
the fact that they even eluded to it all means that yes they definitely are going to do it

I'm not sure what Nintendo releasing a VR unit or not has to do with the Overwatch team saying that they want to port their game to the Switch, but that the system might not be powerful enough to run Overwatch... have you been following our conversation, or just jumped in assuming you knew what we were talking about?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Did they make a new Wii U? No. Only larger capacity. Switch already has a mSD slot. As long as it continues flying off of shelves, Nintendo isn't going to debut something new. They make greater profit on hardware as it ages, it's not ideal to constantly release new consoles. 3DS is a different story, it was already underpowered at launch, and thus easy for Ninty to upgrade. Switch is limited by it's form factor, and if Nintendo was going to make a stationary VR box console to compete with PS4, they would've done that in the first place.

Last edited by Xzi,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as powerful

Yeah but that's simply the reality of the situation. At a minimum I know they're working on a WC3 remaster, a D2 remaster, and constant updates to most of their games.
i am not saying it is going to be as powerful as it's other competitors we know that is not what Nintendo is about

all i am saying is that yes they are definitely doing VR and that they will offer 2 or 3 different hardware revisions and each one will be better than the other for VR ,by the end of it's life cycle,
they are going to offer models in their console line that do not have VR in mind but can do it and then ones that can do it better and ones that do it best
and they will probably sell you on the idea of upgradeability , the same joycons and dock will work with the new model ,maybe they sell the new tablet portion separate

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Did they make a new Wii U? No. Only larger capacity. Switch already has a mSD slot. As long as it continues flying off of shelves, Nintendo isn't going to debut something new. They make greater profit on hardware as it ages, it's not ideal to constantly release new consoles. 3DS is a different story, it was already underpowered at launch, and thus easy for Ninty to upgrade. Switch is limited by it's form factor, and if Nintendo was going to make a stationary VR box console to compete with PS4, they would've done that in the first place.
it is true that they do not make revisions to their home consoles but they are notorious for revisions to their handhelds, and by no means did it start with the 3DS and now that they only have one division instead of home and portable i see them having to keep selling new hardware
you are probably right that we will not see a revision specifically for VR right away i think they may try a more trivial revision 1st
of course it is limited to an extent it is already housing some pretty big active cooling hardware in it

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
all i am saying is that yes they are definitely doing VR and that they will offer 2 or 3 different hardware revisions and each one will be better than the other for VR ,by the end of it's life cycle,
they are going to offer models in their console line that do not have VR in mind but can do it and then ones that can do it better and ones that do it best
and they will probably sell you on the idea of upgradeability , the same joycons and dock will work with the new model ,maybe they sell the new tablet portion separate
You can wish for it all you'd like, but it's simply highly unrealistic. The first among many reasons being that VR is not making as much money as forecasted at this point, as much as I love my Vive. Second, you can't be Nintendo thinking about entering the console VR market without bringing something at least on par with PSVR. Which means a much higher price tag for the tri-subpixel screen if not also the hardware. Some people were already complaining about $300 for Switch, and Nintendo just got out of the shitter that was Wii U. Even if surrounding conditions were a bit more favorable, it's not a logical investment for them to make.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I definitely see some sort of VR unit coming for the Switch, its not a well kept secret that they've been seriously looking into it for the system, and its pretty easy to see it would function in a similar way to smartphone VR, which really would be all we need for VR, I'm not looking for hyper-realism with my VR graphics, just something fun and effective, which I'm certain Nintendo could definitely accomplish with the Switch hardware as it is now. Not to mention the leg up they'd have on how affordable of a console VR it would be over the likes of PSVR and it'd be cord free. Obviously it wouldn't be as good as PSVR, but it'd cost so much less, like Galaxy Gear, you'd only have to buy the helmet that it connects to. Perhaps a separate camera might be needed to track joy con positions as your hands in VR, so that could add a little cost but would still be considerably less than the likes of PSVR.

As to potential hardware revisions of the Switch itself, the only revision I could potentially see for the Switch within the next year or two would be one that isn't any more powerful, but perhaps a bit smaller with the joycons permanently connected to make it a more proper portable handheld, pretty much that patent that popped up a few months back (due to this design, this version of the Switch wouldn't even be VR compatible though.

But I'm doubtful of a Switch HD/4K or whatever. Maybe 3 or so years down the line they might do the mid-gen refresh that the PS4Pro and Xbone X are, but honestly I'm doubtful of that, even if the tech has caught up at that point to make that feasible, I think Nintendo would instead reserve such upgrades for a proper Switch successor.

Last edited by duffmmann,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can wish for it all you'd like, but it's simply highly unrealistic. The first among many reasons being that VR is not making as much money as forecasted at this point, as much as I love my Vive. Second, you can't be Nintendo thinking about entering the console VR market without bringing something at least on par with PSVR. Which means a much higher price tag for the tri-subpixel screen if not also the hardware. Some people were already complaining about $300 for Switch, and Nintendo just got out of the shitter that was Wii U. Even if surrounding conditions were a bit more favorable, it's not a logical investment for them to make.
Nintendo does not always make the best decisions i am not saying the VR is going to be good
i am just saying i think they are going to try it, what it will actually be like is another story entirely

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*ahem* theory: so what if there is a graphics extension similar to how the dock provides 1020 on the TV Vs 720 undocked? Quite a possible idea.

Also I could see it being like that 360 thing they had on the wii u that didn't really do much but show some live panorama. So who knows.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*ahem* theory: so what if there is a graphics extension similar to how the dock provides 1020 on the TV Vs 720 undocked? Quite a possible idea.

Also I could see it being like that 360 thing they had on the wii u that didn't really do much but show some live panorama. So who knows.
The dock only provides extra voltage to the internal GPU so it can upclock itself, it doesn't actually have an external GPU in it. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if that was an option later in its lifespan

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Honestly, no. At 720p it would not be a very good experience, but I'll be damned if I wouldn't waste my money on it anyway.
I have an Oculus Rift DK1 which is 720p@60hz. It was an interesting first-time VR experience but after the initial novelty wore off it was just a waste of money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Good idea