Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think their dongle is just a way to launch fuseé geleé. The real stuff is on their software, which is locked by username/pass and the console serial.

That's pretty much confirmed since they're going to be selling the software on its own as well.
I just checked and you guys were right. My apologies and thanks for pointing that out. I'm assuming the software would go onto the SD card which means that whatever payload.bin they are using on the dongle loads straight into the CFW. But that's the problem. The whole USB connection is needed to send payloads and the dongle appears to send their own pre-made one that is specifically designed to boot into their CFW. Unless you can hijack the dongle or someone reverse engineers the payload to figure out what exactly its doing, its only useful for loading their proprietary CFW.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just checked and you guys were right. My apologies and thanks for pointing that out. I'm assuming the software would go onto the SD card which means that whatever payload.bin they are using on the dongle loads straight into the CFW. But that's the problem. The whole USB connection is needed to send payloads and the dongle appears to send their own pre-made one that is specifically designed to boot into their CFW. Unless you can hijack the dongle or someone reverse engineers the payload to figure out what exactly its doing, its only useful for loading their proprietary CFW.
You don't really need to "hijack" the dongle. Just buy a license for their software/payload.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't really need to "hijack" the dongle. Just buy a license for their software/payload.
I was moreso thinking for those who don't like the idea of the tethered exploit could instead use the dongle as a replacement. Sorry, forgot to make that clear. I know I was thinking it in my head but I assumed I typed it out. My bad.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was moreso thinking for those who don't like the idea of the tethered exploit could instead use the dongle as a replacement. Sorry, forgot to make that clear. I know I was thinking it in my head but I assumed I typed it out. My bad.
Maybe I made this up, but I think I remember reading somewhere that TX's dongle will allow you to use your own payloads if you want.
I think the dongle is basically like a little teensy board that's sending the payload. I'd imagine someone will come up with their own version of it soon as well.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: managed to use fusee launcher on Ubuntu 18.04 i think windows 10 has issues cause i successfully booted into rcm mode and made a sys partition dump and also into homebrew/CFW mode

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I made this up, but I think I remember reading somewhere that TX's dongle will allow you to use your own payloads if you want.
I think the dongle is basically like a little teensy board that's sending the payload. I'd imagine someone will come up with their own version of it soon as well.
Maybe their OS would allow you to swap/add payload.bins to the dongle? If that's the case, that's actually pretty cool of TX to implement. Paying for nifty device that cuts out the tethered portion as well as the hardmod to let you do whatever you want doesn't sound so bad. And I'm watching that R&D thread for developments on the community's version of the modchip.

ciareriam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
All firmwares are hackable. This statement only holds true if you buy a current Nintendo Switch revision. They are planning on releasing a new hardware revision that will fix the exploit both TX and the rest of the community has been using to implement their hacks. We don't know when they will release it so it is highly advised to buy a Switch now.

As for playing backups, TX's modchip will allow you to play backups from the get-go on June 15th when it is available. However, this involves paying for something that the community can do for free. The problem is we don't have a public method of loading backups. What I can say is that there is a project in the works in the form of a Custom FirmWare (or CFW for short) that can have backup loading implemented into it. The release date for this CFW is sometime around June 15th which is the same time the modchip will become available for purchase. Someone other than the creators will simply have to do it. There's no telling when someone will do that, but it will happen. So its up to you about what you want to do. You can choose to not wait to play backups and buy TX's product or you can wait until the community finds a way to implement free backup loading.
Nope

For the free CFW option, are there specific firmware versions I would have to be on?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the free CFW option, are there specific firmware versions I would have to be on?
No you can be on any firmware to run the CFW. However, down the line, depending on what your original firmware was, it may make it easier to load into the CFW. The breakdown goes like this: those running anything past 1.0 up to 3.0 may see this possible softmod when the CFW is finally complete. If you're running a Switch on 3.01-4.1, you may have to wait until the new Switch revision hits the market and they test this exploit on those new Switches for them to release said exploit.

tl;dr: All firmware are gucchi.

thatoneguy94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I was wondering when the CFW comes out will you have to boot into RCM everytime you turn your switch on or will it be like the 3DS where it was permanent?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I was wondering when the CFW comes out will you have to boot into RCM everytime you turn your switch on or will it be like the 3DS where it was permanent?
Booting into RCM everytime is the closest we have to what we have on the 3DS. There are softmods that people can use that work up to 4.1, but none have them been publicly released. So until they are, we are all stuck sending payloads via USB while the Switch is in RCM. There's a chance they may release the one for 3.0 and below once the CFW is officially released while the one for 3.01-4.1 may come out after the new Switch revisions have been tested/

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the difference between coldboot and softmod?
There is no difference. A coldboot means some type of exploit that occurs before the Switch is turned on/while its still off aka 'cold'. A softmod is short for software modification. This just means installing something to your device to alter it in any way.

Ivellios

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There is no difference. A coldboot means some type of exploit that occurs before the Switch is turned on/while its still off aka 'cold'. A softmod is short for software modification. This just means installing something to your device to alter it in any way.

Thanks, sometimes i read here that it was not the same thing but never understood why.

MaxAni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couple questions.

Do I need to format my sd card before installing homebrew?

If yes, what format if I plan on staying on the latest firmware? (Exfat or Fat32 I believe)

Is it okay to have homebrew and my regular data on the same sd or should I use one sd for homebrew and one for regular use? (I already have 2 sd's on hand.)

Thank you.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couple questions.

Do I need to format my sd card before installing homebrew?

If yes, what format if I plan on staying on the latest firmware? (Exfat or Fat32 I believe)

Is it okay to have homebrew and my regular data on the same sd or should I use one sd for homebrew and one for regular use? (I already have 2 sd's on hand.)

Thank you.
FAT32 if you are not on the latest firmware, otherwise you can use ExFAT. All homebrew will be located under a folder named Switch so as long as that doesn't confuse you, you can use the same SD card for homebrew.

Reactions: MaxAni

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright