Switch firmware 3.0.2 released.

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by epicmartin7, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Well, I'm thinking that, or Nintendo knows CFW won't be able to update without blowing efuses (at least for the foreseeable future), and thus hacked/exploited Switches would be stuck on 3.0. Obviously rendering them unable to play online at all or play games past a certain point. I'd bet on Odyssey being post-3.0, if Nintendo wanted to be smart and/or dicks about it.

Last edited by Xzi, Sep 10, 2017
    Masterwin likes this.
  2. PotatisKnug
    This message by PotatisKnug has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Sep 10, 2017.
    Sep 10, 2017
  3. Jackson98

Jackson98 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Anything is possible, but if your going to compare the Switch to Sonys consoles as an example, your better off using the PSVita or PSP. As far as I know the console with the closest kernal to the Nintendo Switch is supposed to be the 3DS which is meant to be fairly similar. Trying to compare consoles that uses ARM cores(most handhelds) to a console that uses x86 is like comparing a pencil to a Rhino. All things in consideration if the switch hax is limited to the people with particularly low firmware, that have deliberately not updated(.00001% of the switch owners), I just don't see the homebrew scene booming ever. Most of the work on previous homebrew is done generally when something is discovered and their is a large delay between 2 firmware updates when multiple users have time to jump on board.

4. yardie
    This message by yardie has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Sep 10, 2017, Reason: Shitpost.
    Sep 10, 2017
  5. PotatisKnug
    This message by PotatisKnug has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Sep 10, 2017, Reason: Shitpost.
    Sep 10, 2017
  6. RareKirby

RareKirby GBAtemp Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    United States
    you do you boo. I think it's silly though. mr.hipster here

7. Miles54321

Miles54321 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2010
    Gateway Headquarters with SonyUSA
    Screw updating soon when Switch is hacked a plathora of games will be available free

Sonic Mania
    Sonic Forces
    Yoshi 2018
    DK 2018
    Mario Odyssey (Yes, Sir-ee)
    Zelda DLC (Free maybe?)

The future is Switch, switch it up switch it up!
    When Nintendo tells you to update, SWITCH IT UP! Hack dat system yo!

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    hope you like waiting a few years :creep:

9. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    All you winning about exploit only <3.0
    you don't even have exploit yet
    so i'm enjoying my switch and it is not my reason of being
    Just wait it will be hacked one day that's it

10. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Remember when this thread was just discussing the new update? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

In any case, it's nice to see Nintendo getting their online services to other locations.

Thirty3Three and digipimp75 like this.
  11. PotatisKnug

PotatisKnug GBAtemp Regular

Jul 30, 2017
    Sweden
    In a dark cave
    You could download all the Wii U dlc you wanted. I can't see why Switch HB couldn't do the same. Maybe it has a heavier guard? We'll see once there's more progress.

12. SnAQ

SnAQ GBAtemp Fan

May 20, 2010
    So, Nintendo are being dicks because they want to make sure you are playing on the latest firmware which have had more bugs patched?

K, gotcha!

Skickat från min F8331 via Tapatalk

13. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Which is why I said "smart and/or dicks." It depends on your perspective. :D

14. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    This is what happens when someone is feeling guilty about updating. They start making assumptions ;)

Also, I've been watching Equals Three, and fucking Gabriel Iglesias is annoying AS FUCK and not funny at all. Like I hear him make that goddamn high voice and I LITERALLY wish he were here so that I could punch him in the vagina and tell him how obnoxious and un-funny he is...

15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Well, he's not wrong, the Wii and Wii U didn't have any real homebrew until some time after the exploits were discovered. And honestly, by waiting on low firmware, you can't go online, use the eShop (esp. when VC games come out) and may be stuck on a limited no. of games for a long time. Besides, Switch homebrew really won't offer homebrew that hasn't been done on other consoles before, so... *shrug*.:ph34r:

Emulators?
    ROM/ISO loading?
    Online hacking? (Honestly, if people are inconsiderate enough to do that, they deserve to be console banned)
    Homebrew channel?
    Firmware spoofing?

It's been done on the Wii and Wii U, no? I mean, unless someone has a Switch and no Wii U, then I can see the appeal, but there's nothing the Switch will do that the Wii U hasn't done, really, in terms of homebrew.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Sep 12, 2017
  16. Thirty3Three

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    You can't claim "right" on opinion. Especially if it's baseless. This is irrelevant to the Wii U. Even if this were the only firmware with such a vulnerability, I'm sure it'll blow up with homebrew and exploits. Especially given the fact that it's the first Hybrid console and it can handle some pretty amazing thigns.

And when haxors are released, we may see spoofing. (Look at Sysnand for the 3DS. It's very probable we'll see something like this. And who knows? It may be a year from now, 2 years, or even within a year. Absolutely no way of knowing. We can claim probabilities based upon prior experience with other consoles, but that'd be an ignorant thing to do. You can't claim probability based upon another console.

And may be stuck on a limited number of games for a long time? Maybe, maybe not. Who knows?

And sure it will. I'm sure we'll see GCN and probably PS2 emulator(s).

And sure all of this had been done on the wii U. But that's the good thing about innovation. We'll see homebrew we've probably never seen on the Wii or Wii u. People are coming up with new ideas all the time. And it's a hybrid console, so making use of its extra horsepower will be a HUGE deal for portability. It's better to compare this to the Vita instead of home consoles. The portability is a HUGE reason I'm sure we'll see a lot of haxors early on, and a lot of devs working on it. GCN, for example, on the Switch would be HUGE. Ps2? That, as well. The extra power/portability alone is enough incentive to give hackers a HUGE reason to work on it.

leonmagnus99 likes this.
  17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Then how do you know this won't be another 3.51 PS3 situation? I sense all those on 3.0.1 are all shit out of luck, I'd love to be proven wrong on that front as well. GCN doesn't run very well on X1 processors, some games do, but all of them lag horribly, and the Switch uses an X1, but I digress. There's only one PS2 emulator on Android devices, and that too isn't very compatible. Don't expect PCSX2 to be portable anytime soon.

leonmagnus99 likes this.
  18. Thirty3Three

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    It very well could be. That's not what I'm arguing. But this is very new. It doesn't matter if only a small amount of people have hacked switches. A lot of stuff will be done for it, I'm sure. Devs are going to want to make all sorts of cool shit for it. Again. You can't assume a console's future based on a completely different console. Also, the PS3 had some pretty baller homebrew and whatnot, despite being a very "golden-firmware-y" console. Also a lot of devs worked on it despite that.

And what? The dolphin emulator on one of Nvidia's X1 things runs very well! Also, given some nintendo magic, it'll run well, I'm sure. Again, PS2 isn't as hard to emulate, I'm sure it'll happen for the Switch. You also can't base the Switch's capability to run a emulator based upon the PS2's emulator on the Andorid. Maaaaaaaaaaaan... you're making all sorts of assumptions.

19. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    magico29 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    yes baby and i love it!!!!!!

20. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    That's the same paragraph too! :P

At this point, everything is speculation so people can say whatever they want really. Who knows what will happen, and how long it will take. Some people are ok with sticking their console in a drawer and waiting it out, while others want to update and use it. What I don't get is why do people care what others do with their console so much? :lol: Just be happy with your own decision and let everyone else do what they want.

Frysenberg and DarthDub like this.
  21. seanp2500

seanp2500 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2010
    United States
    my first thought would be 360 security did it not also employ efuses? I remember a process where the new firmware was basically rebuilt with changes to allow update. I assume the same is possible. Maybe not with the current exploit perhaps a future one will be found later. I think this is highly likely because i see webkit exploits being a problem for quite some time...

22. Jackson98

Jackson98 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Actually I dont even own a switch yet :P. Ive messed around on some friends, but the game library isn't big enough to interest me yet. As for homebrew, I am a realist. I dont expect a small team on a minority of sub 3.0 switches to produce huge amount of content for a virtually non existent community, and I certainly don't expect homebrew apps to come out particularly soon, unless their happen to be a lot of people with no lives that dont have jobs that are sitting at home all day trying to make content. If I did have a switch right now possibly I would wait on 3.0 at the moment considering I don't care much for playing whats currently available? Idk tbh, but that would personally be my only reason. Then I would have to consider if I kept a switch at 3.0 am I ever going to be able to update it post homebrew? Even if homebrew got released, piracy became available and emulators became available this year, and their is really no logical reason to assume this would happen considering all things past and present, It would probably damage the future of the switch more than anything as 3rd party producers aren't going to bring games to a system that is getting them for free.

Last edited by Jackson98, Sep 13, 2017
  23. PotatisKnug

PotatisKnug GBAtemp Regular

Jul 30, 2017
    Sweden
    In a dark cave
    Visst är det så.. :/