Switch firmware 3.0.2 released.

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by epicmartin7, Sep 6, 2017.

1. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    The thing is we have that exploit, but AFAIK no real public entry to make use of it. Though I could be wrong and maybe smhax could be activated directly from browser without previous entries. I don't exactly know how smhax gets activated.

2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    your forgetting though what happens when Nintendo forces you to go online to download the rest of the game? :creep:

3. cybrian
    This message by cybrian has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Sep 7, 2017, Reason: requested by OP.
    Sep 7, 2017
  4. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    The devs won't ever announce anything concrete about an update when it comes. They always say to not update, and then when confirmed will give info about patched bugs. Right now they don't have any good ways to test previous vulns in newer updates because the major bug was used to access other bugs, so you likely won't hear if 3.0.2 fixes anything. Really in the words of daeken you are basically screwed for now if you are already on 3.0.1, but as always stay as low as possible. If you don't care enough to wait then don't. But don't be one of those people going around saying "we'll get exploits on latest firmware EventuallyTM, because that seems to be a problem in these threads even though the devs have made it very clear that is likely not going to happen.

5. Kilim

Kilim Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2017
    United States
    then...if we have something similar to Luma it wouldn't matter since it would be up to date anyway

6. Shinigati

Shinigati GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    That really depends actually it might be a lot harder than you think unless we can get some kind of coldboot going because the way updates work on the switch once installed from what i read about is it literally checks how many efuses are ticked and if there is too few it will correct it by adding more and if there is too many efuses set the system will not start at all.

So lets say we got cfw running and we managed to run emunand (fully updated) after rebooting the switch will no longer operate due to the efuses been corrected, for a better understanding i'll show you an example.

Ver 2.0.0 requires 2 efuses
    Ver 3.0.0 requires 6 efuses

Emunand was running 3.0.0 so after rebooting because the efuses is now set to 6 and 2.0.0 is asking for only 2 the system will go into a panic (assuming efuses cannot be spoofed/redirected).

In theory we should still be able to get cfw running when triggering the exploit after every reboot while using a more sysnand like cfw but updating sysnand might be tricky, for starters if ram/offets changed i assume a new entrypoint with the same permissions or even a devkit would be needed to get it working but i also think if nintendo really cared about stopping exploits completely and avoiding another repeat of the 3ds they won't make things easy for us especially if they handle updates differently like if the system won't boot at all unless all system titles are updated and it might even go as far as reinstalling the whole OS like the ps vita does it (still keeping current firmwares secure to this day 3.61/3.63/3.65).

Now i'm not gonna pretend i know a lot about the inner workings of the switch but these are just some of the things i think could be roadblocks and after seeing how badly nintendo is trying to stop hacks completely it wouldn't surprise me if they actually have made the switch very secure for future updates.

Kilim, Frysenberg and peteruk like this.
  7. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    iirc fuse checks only occur during boot, so in theory if we had a way to launch a higher fw emunand without rebooting it shouldn't trigger a panic. The issue after that would be updating emuNAND without burning fuses.
    AFAIK the system isn't in a constant state of checking fw and checking fuses and burning/panicking if incorrect, but rather only at specific times. So far I've only heard of the system panic happening during the boot process.

Or we could find a boot exploit that happens before the fuse check and panic and just skip the checks. But if a boot exploit did exist we likely wouldn't be seeing it for several years.

TotalInsanity4 and peteruk like this.
  8. s3phir0th115

s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 31, 2008
    United States
    If it works anything like the Xbox 360 exploits do, the efuse checks would either be spoofed or patched out completely.

Update wise, with the Xbox 360 hacks you don't update it with the normal procedure. You basically get the update files, generate a new NAND image, and then flash said NAND image on. I imagine the Switch could work similarly.

9. PotatisKnug

PotatisKnug GBAtemp Regular

Jul 30, 2017
    Sweden
    In a dark cave
    supermario18 and Dillw33d like this.
  10. Megadriver94

Megadriver94 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2017
    United States
    About a month ago, somebody who was an avid redditor stumbled upon a switch system with active debug software on it. Shortly after he realized it he gave it to the nearest gamestop rather than thinking about what else could be done with it(such as, say sell it on Ebay, Game Gavel, etsy, or Newegg or keep it). Another reason to scold reddit for their often herd mentality way of thinking and/or blind respect for authority. If it wasn't for his desire to be the biggest blind authority lover he could be we could have gone past the "Hello World!" stage already! Bunch of dummies reddit tends to be.

Attached Files:

11. g00s3y

g00s3y GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Cape Coral, FL
    Just updated, and still able to play games without complaining about things not working.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I feel like posts of yours have probably been featured on r/iamverysmart.

Maybe some people don't give a shit about hacking, that makes them dumb?

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  12. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    I dont care about the online. If I have a Switch then I wouldnt update it. :)

mech likes this.
  13. cybrian

cybrian Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    What do you think could have been done with that system? By the looks of it, it’s simply the factory test/aging menu that’s used on the assembly line to minimize faulty consoles being sent out. On first boot off the assembly line you see something like this, and an automated machine performs tests by checking all the buttons and controls, calibrates the LCD biasing and the digitizer, and has it run an “Aging mode,” which is a term for a pre-sale stress test. (Probably high CPU usage to make sure it doesn’t overheat or underclock itself under normal use.)

If you access the factory menu on many TVs (this usually isn’t locked behind any more than a secret key combination) you get something very similar, including an aging mode option which generally turns the brightness on max and either displays a solid white picture or alternates each color at 100% intensity.

14. Miles54321

Miles54321 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2010
    Gateway Headquarters with SonyUSA
    If I was on 3.02 I would not update, best to get into the habit of not updating video game consoles for hacking sometime!

15. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    Did they really need to push an update to add online support in other regions? :unsure::huh:

GODDAMNIT
    [​IMG]

16. PotatisKnug

PotatisKnug GBAtemp Regular

Jul 30, 2017
    Sweden
    In a dark cave
    I don't blame him. He just wanted a switch and doesn't give a single fuck about anything else than playing his games. I'd do the same. Show it off on reddit and get it exchanged.

17. dsionr4

dsionr4 Gbatemp's Shonen Character

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Space
    i think online play was locked within those countries. Its a all region console so we will get those kind updates.

Last edited by dsionr4, Sep 9, 2017
  18. Mystic Shadow

Mystic Shadow GBAtemp Regular

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Mines on 2.3 I don't even play it much and nothing looks interesting to me coming out. People act like the switch is the only console out. I can play PC,PS4 and my 3ds till a hack comes out I'll be fine.

19. RareKirby

RareKirby GBAtemp Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    United States
    no update means no online play. isn't it better just to update?

20. Pixel Eater

Pixel Eater Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    That super depends. We really could end up in a PS3 type situation. I do really wish someone would find a trick for going online. I'm sure the paid subscription coming out next year will complicate things further. And a nice banwave isn't out of the question I guess, if we even get that far.

Last edited by Pixel Eater, Sep 10, 2017
  21. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Not everyone plays online. Even when I had latest firmware I never played online.

22. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    For all we know there are already mechanisms in place to flag consoles for later ban waves once the paid service kicks in. They seemingly did the same on 3DS already.

Xzi likes this.