Switch firmware 3.0.2 released.

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by epicmartin7, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo
    Yeah that is how its looking right now which sucks but i am not above 3.0 so i dont mind. But it sucks for everyone else rip

mech and whateverg1012 like this.
  2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yeah, it's a real shame missing out on anything future related to the eShop and when the VC rolls around, or playing online.

Bladexdsl and Abu_Senpai like this.
  3. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Except unlike ps3 we won't get the ability to hardware downgrade to get to an exploitable firmware thanks to efuses.

DarthDub and Abu_Senpai like this.
  4. Kilim

Kilim Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2017
    United States
    wouldnt say that just yet honestly, if we have anything similar to Luma3ds then we might be fine with updating, don't give up just yet; the similarities between the 3ds and switch codebase might just make it work

Abu_Senpai likes this.
  5. Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai The Red King

Jul 13, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Tokyo
    lol i have a backlog which means other systems and games are taking my priority right now. once i beat zelda, the switch was put in a draw and never touched again. These days we have such over saturation when it comes to video games that once you beat one, it is pretty much time to play the next one on your list. oh and i dont use online store whatsoever so no big loss there plus online gaming aside from s2 and mk8 what is there? so there isnt much reason for me to update hence why i havent. But XC2 might change that.

Tsubakiandou and whateverg1012 like this.
  6. Ceuse

Ceuse Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2017
    Germany
    Im still on 2.3, but i honestly only care slightly. I will get the games i want, perhaps wait a month or so and then probably just say fuck it and update. Dont have the money to get a second one, so i will deal with the homebrew when it comes available. And if not i habw plwnty of other stuff i can emulate on

7. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Valhalla
    plus all the stuff he said doesn't even exist yet lol, unless you really love splatoon 2 updating now for future features is silly

Tsubakiandou and Abu_Senpai like this.
  8. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I don't care about Splatoon at all, never play online and already have the few eshop games I care about. And I typically stick the just a few games when I first get a system (the first two years with my 3ds I only had Mario kart 7). So I'm perfectly fine not updating for a while with my 10 or so games. If I absolutely need games later that require higher firmware I'll find something used later when it doesn't cost a lot for even a used switch.

whateverg1012 likes this.
  9. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    Well to be fair I think it has new hats. Also, there's like a double squirt gun now. Online features look really good too. They're so awesome that they require an app on an external device.

"Now you're playing with power. Power banks."

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Not gonna hold my breath.

11. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Why do we think there are code similarities? The Switch runs on a custom build of FreeBSD, just like the PS4.

12. Kilim

Kilim Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2017
    United States
    hasn't it been said already? i recall a few people saying that the codebase is very, very similar

13. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Apparently the big exploit they found on 3.0.0 is similar to the big exploit found in old 3DS 4.something firmware.

Thirty3Three likes this.
  14. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    That's not correct. The devs have said multiple times it is not freebsd. They only use parts of it for things like network protocols iirc. The devs have stated it is similar to 3ds rather than freebsd based.

TotalInsanity4, sj33 and Thirty3Three like this.
  15. s3phir0th115

s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 31, 2008
    United States
    I bit the bullet and bought a second Switch, fortunately it has 2.3.0.
    I just hope something gets released soon.

Along those lines, have any developers actually committed to release anything? Or do they just say it'll come in time?

16. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Smealum stated it. Also, it's not based on FreeBSD.

17. DocAmes1980

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    When asked if homebrew would be coming this year SciresM, a dev on the ReSwitched team, said "No, probably not."

s3phir0th115 likes this.
  18. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Hedgeberg said in a live stream Sunday that public development info is going to go black to help get cool stuff to users quicker. So expect almost no news except the usually don't update and info on patched bugs in until close to actual user releases. Which I'm all for, that way hype train threads don't derail over several weeks.

s3phir0th115 likes this.
  19. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Does this year mean 2017, or the next 12 months?

20. DocAmes1980

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    2017 based on the title of the thread. It doesn't sound like the ReSwitched team is planning on releasing anything on the horizon. The exploit is well known. Some rando that knows what he's doing could release something. Maybe Hackerman can use his 640k Mac to hack the Switch.