Switch backward 3DS/WiiU

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by morken772, Nov 1, 2016.

1. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    well, when it comes to GC games that were enhanced and released for Wii, it was Forward Compatibility as they did not need to be ported, just tweaked a bit.

2. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    The cartridge isn't even close to 3DS/DS
    [​IMG]

DeoNaught likes this.
  3. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Interesting, I wonder if it will be straight up eMMC , looks like 5 pins, so Vcc,GND,CLK,DAT0,CMD possibly.

4. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    Wouldn't eMMC be *way* to slow?

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X

5. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Didn't Nintendo themselves say in the Direct that the Switch wasn't going to be backwards compat?

azoreseuropa likes this.
  6. morken772
    OP

morken772 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2016
    Brazil
    My house
    Where do u get this image?

7. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    I think we should wait for Nintendo to say anything in January 2017. To my understanding, if its backward 3DS/WiiU then there will be no 3rd party. I think they are trying to be like Super Nintendo which had the best 3rd party ever. If you want Wii U and 3Ds games then keep Wii U console and 3DS portable instead.

They said they aren't doing a backward anymore. Those games might be available for Switch VC or Wii U ports, I bet!

CatmanFan and nmkd like this.
  8. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I'm thinking it might be compatible with digital titles downloaded... But that's just a theory,

People will have to wait tho.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Or maybe it can be compatible with steam games, PC, And PS4 Becuase apparently that makes sense for backwards compatibility

9. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    I also want to mention that little tab on 3DS games are useless, there are no wires or boards in it (its just empty). You could rip it off and still play your games. Its just made so you wouldn't put it in your DS and/or you wouldn't think its a DS game.

Last edited by Zero72463, Nov 14, 2016
    CatmanFan and osaka35 like this.
  10. CatmanFan

CatmanFan I guess I'm exaggerating.

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    It's pretty obvious there's going to be a greater chance of Wii U ports than digital Wii U games or Wii U VC on the Switch. The Wii U may be too powerful for the Switch to emulate (not simulate) anyway. Plus, the JoyCon portable isn't even supported for home console gameplay, since while the Switch is in "home console mode" the JoyCon screen always sits on the dock, and when it enters "portable mode" the JoyCon portable needs to be removed from the dock. This rules out any Wii U gameplay which supports or requires the GamePad. If possible we can hopefully find a PlayStation TV-like solution :unsure:

11. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Wouldn't it be possible to emulate a 3DS with the switches Hardware? (Use the smaller screen as the bottom, use TV, or large screen as top?) That's where I'm thinking it may be compatible

Only except the scaling of the screens would be werid
    Edit: What I'm also thinking is that the Wii U touch screen might be included/formatted to match the TV scale as the top screen, and be able to press a certain button to bring use to the Wii U gamepad.

The only downside I can see is that the motion controls wouldn't be possible... Unless the controllers for the Switch could be used like motion controls, or another alternative accessory for some Wii U Games that use the Wii U touch pad.

Last edited by petethepug, Nov 14, 2016
  12. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Yes, it would be very hard and time consuming. If Nintendo releases a VC of a 3DS game it would make it easier for us.
    Yes

petethepug likes this.
  13. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    My bad.
    The main thing though is digital titles, and that's where I think most of us are getting confused between digital, and physical... Nintendo has confirmed that it won't be compatible with physical Wii U Games, or 3DS... But there has been no word yet on digital content (unless I'm missing something.)

14. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    I am sure some VC content will be released. Wii U had Wii titles in eShop (but Wii was built into the Wii U). I doubt any Wii U VC will come out. I am guessing 3DS, DS, GBA, etc will be a thing. Hope for the best!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

C'mon you know Nintendo they like too sell their older better content to get money! :lol:

Last edited by Zero72463, Nov 14, 2016
    C0mm4nd_, petethepug and CatmanFan like this.
  15. dude22072

dude22072 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    United States
    If you want to play games from your previous system, play them on your previous system...
    Backwards compatibility always lacks features from the full-fledged system.

16. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    Honestly, they've said that the system won't be backwards compatible. I'd put Physical & Digital purchases into that 1 basket as it's all "backwards compatiblity".

For now, give up on the Switch having BC, maybe they'll do it down the line, or maybe a hack will come out for the machine and we'll be able to play with made Emulators. Citra is doing really well, hopefully that could be used with some tweaking as a base.

17. Gnarmagon

Gnarmagon Noob <3

Dec 12, 2016
    Germany
    How should they do that ?
    One Screen has the Switch and 2 Screens+ 3D has the Nintendo ?

Last edited by Gnarmagon, Dec 15, 2016
  18. 03bgood

03bgood Banned

Banned
    Aug 29, 2014
    United States
    Paris, Illinois
    The way I see it, there won't be any physical BC but defiantly digital:

NES: confirmed
    SNES: possibly confirmed
    N64 unconfirmed
    GCN: pretty much confirmed
    Wii: given the amount of games currently being released on the Wii U eShop, it's a safe bet the they will be on the NS, assuming it has motion controls
    Wii U: possibly not coming, we'll be getting ports of games like Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. For Wii U, and Splatoon, instead
    GB: unconfirmed
    GBC unconfirmed
    GBA: possibly confirmed
    DS: as long as it has touch screen support and the two screens can fit on the NS screen; left and right, I assume
    3DS: I doubt the cartridges will be supported but I could see them coming to the VC, later in the system's life; similar to how the Wii U got DS VC games, later in its life

So yeah, this is how the BC will work with the Switch, AFAIK.

Last edited by 03bgood, Dec 15, 2016
  19. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I was just thinking about this. Yeah, for 3DS and DS it wouldn't be ideal and Wii U games would have to be ported, but you can have every home and portable Nintendo console on the switch. Of course some features would be lost. Obviously the 3D and clamshell and possibly the camera.

20. New_Newbie

New_Newbie Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2015
    United States
    You can't use the portable screen and the TV at the same time, can someone explain to me how you're going to emulate a wii u gamepad or 3ds touch screen on a non-existent device? And do I even need to explain the architecture differences, or.