Hacking Supercard DSTWO+ Updated (8-Dec-15)

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Why are people even using flashcards anyways?

Some people just don't like having to install games as CIA and prefer to just use .3ds roms. That's why Sky3DS is compelling to some people even on 9.2 or below.
We can call it stupid, sure, but it's still a matter of personal preference.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are people even using flashcards anyways?
I had my GW since before CFW second hand at $50 compared to $80 new at the time. I got my Sky3DS as part of a really awesome deal. I tried to talk my friend through hosting Loadiine. He also owed me $75, so he gave me the Sky3DS a Vita 2K with a Nyko extended battery/grip, and 3 games to troubleshoot his WiiU and squash the debt. I won the SCDS2+ from the Halloween Pumpkin Contest here at GBAtemp.
Since it's easier to drop a .3DS file and not worry about AP or cryptofix, I've stayed with it. That's not to say I haven't messed with anything else.

Last edited by hundshamer,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Actually, this situation leaves me with the question: how does this brick code work? Some people report their 3DSes bricked
I use 1.04 for a week
There's even someone who supposedly tries to reproduce this brick with no seeming results

So... is this some kind of lottery? O.o
well yeah the GW brick code was always run on a lottery basis even back wih the original bricks it all boiled down to a roll of the dice on whether or not they ran the brick code, the closest we ever got to a "technical analysis" was that if the FW fails a certain check it will run a RNG and if your number is up it bricks the 3DS, there is also other possible factors involved, i.e its "possible" the brick code only works for o3DS users, i seem to remember some mention of the brick code involving dates or names of files on your SD and other such crap back with the first brick code bricks, and that was back on 2.0b2, who knows they could have tweaked it a lot more since then, we know they "fixed" the key generation at least forcing those who get bricked to force erase meaning peple silly enough to get bricked without a nand backup are royaly screwed, but they could have added even more "factors" to their brick code

suspiciously the same guy getting bricked twice, maybe its all BS, or maybe GW are just racist(buzz word its a joke....countryist maybe :P) and have added a high chance of the brickcode running if your system has the region set to a specific country.....maybe its his name, unless some super talented dev disassembles the GW launcher again i doubt we will ever know the true criteria/odds for it running, the best we can hope for is some other unfortunate soul to brick who is more "known" to at least confirm that the bricks arent just BS fear mongering

i was hoping to get my hands on one of these bricked consoles but the guy i was hoping would send his console to be unbricked said he has just sent it in for warranty so i wont have a chance to play about with it, but i know others are, would have been ideal to have a system known/claimed to be bricked by it though along with the offending DSTWO+ as that should be easiest to replicate the bricks on if any system details are used as variables for the brick trigger

Last edited by gamesquest1,

dandymanz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Some people just don't like having to install games as CIA and prefer to just use .3ds roms. That's why Sky3DS is compelling to some people even on 9.2 or below.
We can call it stupid, sure, but it's still a matter of personal preference.

Well, beggars can't be choosers right? For people who can't afford to pay, or don't wish to pay. Then of course they'll choose the CFW+CIA route. I still remember wasting more than half a day just to install games onto my 64gb sd card... Copy 29gb first, install, delete, copy another 14 gb, install, delete, copy another 7gb, install, delete...
Too much of a hassle and it repeats again for new games released. Time is money, and i'd rather gift this money to the cart makers.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
am i the only one who says GW did this and Supercard is innocent
"innocent" is such a strong word, they knew gateway would not be happy and decided to clone regardless, then issues a "fix" that fixed nothing, if i send people into a known minefield just so i can make money im just as guilty as the minefield owner if not more so as i was the one sending my customers into the mine field, its not like the owner of the field was saying "come on guys free pretzels if you come wander in my field without my permission"

sure call them maniacs if you so wish and obviously the brick code is their responsibility .....but that responsibility only extends as far as their own customers as far as im concerned

qproject

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
am i the only one who says GW did this and Supercard is innocent

I knew what I was getting into when I bought DSTwo+ and even ordered 2, one for gift and one for myself. I wanted to be able to run DS and 3DS and I'm very pleased with the product. But just to be safe I'm sticking to GW 3.4.1 Launcher. Supercard could code thier own Launcher since the card is firmware updatable.

dandymanz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Ok, Supercard has again announced to revert back to 1.03. Looks like there's a China user who reported brick halfway through playing a game. I think its better to just stay away from any updates for now. Just 1.03 + GW 3.41 seems to best way to go.

Reactions: Zidapi

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, Supercard has again announced to revert back to 1.03. Looks like there's a China user who reported brick halfway through playing a game. I think its better to just stay away from any updates for now. Just 1.03 + GW 3.41 seems to best way to go.
"Oh boy, I just unlocked a new - suddenly, BOOTROM ERROR 42069

*rage*

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
While it's true that no one reputable on GBAtemp has even reported a brick, it's possible that very few member here even have the cart :P I mean it's relatively new, most users were happy with the options they previously had... It's totally possible that only 4 or 5 members even have the cart. So it's too early to decide whether this bricking thing is just a rumor spread by gateway or an actual problem.

Reactions: hundshamer
D

Deleted-236924

While it's true that no one reputable on GBAtemp has even reported a brick, it's possible that very few member here even have the cart :P I mean it's relatively new, most users were happy with the options they previously had... It's totally possible that only 4 or 5 members even have the cart. So it's too early to decide whether this bricking thing is just a rumor spread by gateway or an actual problem.
That and people were prepared for it already.
As soon as SC mentioned, "GW Emulation plugin" to pretty much just steal Gateway's work, it became obvious that GW would do something like they did before.

D

Deleted-19228

I never liked installing CIA. Updating game patches was slow and painful even if its small size.

Installation of games are slow. Updates take mere minutes. Are you that self-entitled that you can't put your system down for 5 minutes and go do something?

Reactions: MaNiAlJoWo

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I knew what I was getting into when I bought DSTwo+ and even ordered 2, one for gift and one for myself. I wanted to be able to run DS and 3DS and I'm very pleased with the product. But just to be safe I'm sticking to GW 3.4.1 Launcher. Supercard could code thier own Launcher since the card is firmware updatable.

Actually that may not be safe.

It wasn't known if the brick code was phased out after 2.02b

There was a statement back in older threads saying something like
"The brick code is still there, but close to impossible to trigger during normal circumstances"

but I can't seem to find that statement to source it.

edit:

I think it was this:

well i did try interfering with the launcher to try force it to trigger, I.e editing some odd bytes of the launcher to break the checksums, modifying the files "created date" etc, some devs said that the code looks pretty much impossible to trigger when using a official launcher.

as i understand it, the old brick code loaded by default so any bugs in the loading process or corruption of the SD card "could" lead to the brick code being accidentally triggered....even if the launcher was absolutely un-modified, running diagnostics caused some loaded data to be corrupted meaning the brick code could inadvertently be reached as it was still loaded in to memory

if I'm understanding correctly, the revised brick code does not get loaded in to memory unless the initial payload has been specifically hacked. so any bugs in the memory will not cause the brick code to be reached for legitimate users as the code is not loaded and can't trigger by accident.

this is my interpretation the info from the dev's....but i ain't no dev so i'm not 100% on the details, but its something like that :P

Last edited by Queno138,

qproject

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In order for brick code to activate, wouldn't you need to modified/code the Launcher for a specific hardware? The old brick code only target clones from 2.02b release but new hardware like DSTwo+ needs to be studied first to implement brick code?

I do remember about console being bricked by running diagnostics. The brick code was full of bugs or should I say beta.

There's no report of 3.4.1 being bricked so far.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah 3.4.1 wouldn't have known what to "look for" (unless they were already prepared for it) the original detection was likely just aimed at people hacking up the launcher to make it work, 3.5.x being released after the DSTWO meant they likely had time to implement additional checks to specifically target cards designed to be spoofed as genuine GW cards

D

Deleted-19228

Don't tell me what to do with my time. I perfer to instant gaming rather than waste my time waiting.

So the answer is yes, you are that self-entitled. As they say...blame Canada.

EDIT: Also there's irony in what you are saying. In the amount of time it took you to post that you could have installed an update.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok