• No

Votes: 30 43.5%

• Total voters

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well leaks were confirmed to be fake so hopefully no remaster.

Why in the world do people want the game to be built from the ground up? I don't understand this. I mean if they did build a brand new version of smash from square one and did it right it would still just look like a remaster of the Wii U version. As such I say save time and resources, just remaster it, polish up the graphics, add more content and leave it open for more DLC. That really should be all we need. And lets be real, this is what it will be anyway.

Last edited by duffmmann,

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why in the world do people want the game to be built from the ground up? I don't understand this. I mean if they did build a brand new version of smash from square one and did it right it would still just look like a remaster of the Wii U version. As such I say save time and resources, just remaster it, polish up the graphics, add more content and leave it open for more DLC. That really should be all we need. And lets be real, this is what it will be anyway.

Lol, obviously graphics will be the same but I'm talking about mechanics. Every new smash has had different mechanics. Melee was perfect, Brawl was horrible, but they made smash somewhat fun again with Smash 4 and they are embracing competitive so I think Smash 5 will be even better. If you think Smash 4 is perfect and just needs more content and DLC to keep you satisfied good for you, but it's not something I will buy.

I think it's likely they will follow Mario Kart 8's lead and just remaster the Wii U version and slap a deluxe tag on it though, but I'm personally waiting for a Smash 5 not a Smash 4 Deluxe.

Reactions: SonyNintendoGamer1

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
yeah dude smash 4 super duper will reinvent the indutsry, couldnt get enough of that gem on wii u :D cant wait to play it again on a new toy
I was respecting your arguments, but then you went this super-trolling-sounding child-like route and I can't take you seriously now. Oh well.

Reactions: SonyNintendoGamer1
D

Dork

Alright messing with you is no fun.
People are allowed to have different opinions without having a terrible mentality.
Okay? I never said he couldn't have an opinion. There are definitely bad opinions and good opinions though, and there are definitely bad ways of thinking about things. I think (in regards to the post your referencing) his opinion is awful, and I explained why it's awful. Good opinions require some form of reason to make sense.

The poster was in favor of an enhanced port instead of a new game. If you like Smash 4 so much, just keep playing it on Wii U or 3DS, it's not going to disappear. Any new features that could potentially be added in a deluxe port are better off being implemented in a true sequel so that something new and fresh can be tried.

To say that Smash 4 is as best as Smash can be, and that there is no room for improvement in a sequel is a complacent way of thinking about things. How can you possibly say that there is no room for improvement outside of adding components to an existing game? That only tells me that you have absolutely no imagination what so ever, which makes me thankful that you're not the one working on games.
For example you seem completely focused on the fact that Nintendo reuse its assets while forgetting that Smash is all about nostalgia. Characters, stages and musics are gonna sound familiar. That's on purpose and thats why people love it.
You completely missed the point. I'm not saying they shouldn't use IP familiarity. Just make a new fucking game from scratch, it's a simple idea man. Did Brawl reuse Mario's model and texture from Sunshine or Galaxy? No, they made new ones for Brawl.
That said. You want new assets. Okay lets redo Mario assets. You know what it will look like? Mario.
So what? Different forms of art direction can still make a character look distinct from a different work. Melee Mario and Brawl Mario look very different from each other, yet they are still the same character.
You're asking to start from scratch, spending time and money on assets that will look the same more or less, new stages, musics and all. It simply makes no sense.
???
It makes no sense to expect a video game company to do their job? I don't get it, why are you pretending to know how game development cost-benefit analysis works? You're also just assuming again that they would stay with the same art direction. Again, telling me that Smash 4 graphics are the best possible isn't convincing. I'm not just saying to up the polygon count here. All four smash games look very visually distinctive and I'm am 100% sure they can find another style to work with.
The Wii U and Switch have very similar graphical power and so financially it makes 0 sense to rework everything.
The Smash 64 example wasn't convincing enough? Fine, let's look at the Wii then. The Wii was a marginal upgrade over the gamecube. Despite this, Brawl was completely made from the ground up and despite being on hardware very similar to it's predecessor, and it was a very distinct game from Melee. Now if the devs thought like you, we would have gotten some enhanced port of Melee instead of Brawl.
We all want new content, some of us would rather just keep the hundred of songs, the good stages, characters and modes, rather than wasting time redoing what already works, and have actual new characters and stages IN ADDITION to what we already have.
Then just keep on playing Smash 4 on the Wii U. The base game already has tons of content and the DLC should be icing on the cake for you. If you are really that starved for more Smash 4 upgrades then go mod the game or something. An extra character, stage, or gamemode is not worth spending 60$ on. That is essentially what's happening. Assuming you own the game on Wii U, buying a potential Smash 4 Deluxe that maybe adds a single gamemode or a single stage for a full 60$ is highway robbery. You are throwing away loads of money on a couple of gumballs. It's like Capcom screwing people over with subsequent Street Fighter IV upgrades, forcing you to pay the price of another full game to gain access to a single new feature. The fact that not only are you okay with this, but your are DEFENDING this is appalling.

In the case that someone doesn't own the Wii U version, there's a good chance that they wouldn't buy the game on the switch either, because the game itself probably wasn't appealing enough to get on Wii U when it came out 3 years ago.
And btw I have no idea why you hate that IP so much.
You really think I would waste my time talking about smash on some obscure forum if I didn't like the series? Stop assuming things.
Sakurai managed to add so much content from so many IPs that it at least deserves some recognition for that.
Who cares, Sakurai is some old japanese man who just does his job. Sakurai shouldn't even be a concern here.
A brand new Smash would end up being another Street Fighter 5.
What are you even trying to say here? If you're implying that Street Fighter 5 isn't good, then now you're just assuming that a potential new smash game would just end up like that and that's really unfair because this said new smash game doesn't even exist yet.
This endless race for badass graphics from Sony/Microsoft is just getting ridiculous.
Ridiculous? That's just healthy competition between two companies. I think you're just used to Nintendo screwing you over with outdated hardware.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I think it's real, but it's just gonna be a shitty port of Smash 4 on the Wii U. I want a from-the-ground-up Smash for the Switch. I didn't invest in the system for it to just turn out as a portable Wii U with the same damn games ported over....

Reactions: whateverg1012

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see a Smash port happening in 2018, ground up Smash in 2020...

Melee - 2001
Brawl - 2008
Smash 4 - 2014
Smash 5 - 2020?

Don't hold your breath for a ground up Smash anytime soon unless you want a crappy and underdeveloped game, a port of the Smash from the Wii U with all DLC (which is still a great game even today) is still better than a premature Smash built exclusively for the Switch any day; same goes for Mario Kart 9.

Last edited by Nemix77,

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Dork,
Okayyyy so first, I understand you get a little butthurt because someone said they weren't respecting your trolling answers anymore, but make sure you are answering to the right person. I was not that guy.

To say that Smash 4 is as best as Smash can be, and that there is no room for improvement in a sequel is a complacent way of thinking about things. How can you possibly say that there is no room for improvement outside of adding components to an existing game? That only tells me that you have absolutely no imagination what so ever, which makes me thankful that you're not the one working on games.
Not caring that much about visual upgrades does not equal thinking no improvement can be made, nor is it due to a lack imagination (btw I did work on smash modding for quite a while). It's just a difference of priorities.
What I'm telling you is that Smash fans aren't generally complaining about visuals. It runs in 1080p / 60 fps, the game looks great for our current generation, that's more than enough.
They instead want more content. We can get better balancing, new modes, new stages, new skins, etc without wasting years of development from scratch.
It's not because something is possible that it is the right move to make for a company (and in this case, for the players as well).

I dunno, the thought of have an ultimate version with ever growing roster of characters, and huge collection of musics of all video games IP and stages for every character is a better dream to me than seeing slightly altered designs.

It makes no sense to expect a video game company to do their job? I don't get it, why are you pretending to know how game development cost-benefit analysis works? You're also just assuming again that they would stay with the same art direction. Again, telling me that Smash 4 graphics are the best possible isn't convincing. I'm not just saying to up the polygon count here. All four smash games look very visually distinctive and I'm am 100% sure they can find another style to work with.
This whole thread is about assuming if yes or no they're going to make a port. So yes I'm assuming things, and you are assuming too. Stop making it sound like it's a big deal when that's just discussing.
How do I know how it works? I just follow the trend these past few years, where porting games from one generation to another have become the norm. Oh and also the fact they ported Mario Kart 9 and it worked. And also the fact that unlike the Wii that was vastly supported by third parties, the Switch still has few games and they NEED to deliver. Because of that I don't think they have any interest in changing everything now.

The Smash 64 example wasn't convincing enough? Fine, let's look at the Wii then. The Wii was a marginal upgrade over the gamecube. Despite this, Brawl was completely made from the ground up and despite being on hardware very similar to it's predecessor, and it was a very distinct game from Melee. Now if the devs thought like you, we would have gotten some enhanced port of Melee instead of Brawl.
The Smash 64 was the worst example to give, there was indeed a generational gap between 64 and melee it absolutely made sense to redo it.
Now for Melee and Brawl. Yes that is right they have similar hardware. However I don't share your conclusion. Given how Brawl changes backfired at them, a enhanced port of Melee would have been good too. I can totally imagine a Brawl game with the base gameplay of Melee. Indeed modders have tried their best to recreate it.
The fact is, the times are really different now. The Wii U was a fail, the Switch needs to sell and release more games and can't rely on third parties yet. Also very important, games can be UPDATED now. You don't need to release a new game when the concept works, just polish it and make it better.
We also now have examples of games that keep being improved... one of them being one of the top selling games ever: Minecraft :) a game that was ported countless times!

Then just keep on playing Smash 4 on the Wii U. The base game already has tons of content and the DLC should be icing on the cake for you. If you are really that starved for more Smash 4 upgrades then go mod the game or something. An extra character, stage, or gamemode is not worth spending 60$ on. That is essentially what's happening. Assuming you own the game on Wii U, buying a potential Smash 4 Deluxe that maybe adds a single gamemode or a single stage for a full 60$ is highway robbery. You are throwing away loads of money on a couple of gumballs. It's like Capcom screwing people over with subsequent Street Fighter IV upgrades, forcing you to pay the price of another full game to gain access to a single new feature. The fact that not only are you okay with this, but your are DEFENDING this is appalling.
Well they did it with Mario Kart 9 and it worked pretty well for them.
And yes I'm defending it when it's a win-win, which can be the case here if they add enough value to it. The value being new characters, stages, modes, and simply having a Smash 4 HD on the go.
I am indeed not of this trend of anti-port SJW that makes no difference between a rubbish port and a good one and are against it for the sake of it. Same with DLCs.

In the case that someone doesn't own the Wii U version, there's a good chance that they wouldn't buy the game on the switch either, because the game itself probably wasn't appealing enough to get on Wii U when it came out 3 years ago.
I dunno, I've read a lot about people who are finally able to play MK9 on Switch and are enjoying it.

You really think I would waste my time talking about smash on some obscure forum if I didn't like the series? Stop assuming things.
[...]
Who cares, Sakurai is some old japanese man who just does his job. Sakurai shouldn't even be a concern here.
You have been attacking Sakurai directly in many occasions as well as "his games". Sakurai has been director of all the smash since Smash 64. I'm sorry If It gets confusing!

What are you even trying to say here? If you're implying that Street Fighter 5 isn't good, then now you're just assuming that a potential new smash game would just end up like that and that's really unfair because this said new smash game doesn't even exist yet.
I'm implying that a new Smash would disappoint because A: People would have to wait a long time for a brand new smash and B: It has to match that amount or content or more, anything less than that and people are gonna call it unfinished/rushed. Pretty much like SF5.

Ridiculous? That's just healthy competition between two companies. I think you're just used to Nintendo screwing you over with outdated hardware.
And I think you're too used to the graphics propaganda to remember that what matters with a game is the fun it provides. See assumptions like that are easy to make :)

I do have a PS4 (well, many) for the record. I just think that when it comes to games made for fun in multiplayer, Nintendo wins easily and the processing power matters very little.
Being able to play Mario Kart 9 on the go and with friends is pure genius, and is certainly more refreshing than this endless war for graphics supremacy that some companies tried so hard to push to the players.

What you really, really fail to understand is that a port is not necessarily a win-lose if it gets updated regularly. At this point you still haven't provided a single argument against an enhanced version other than visuals.
Games like Rocket League, Minecraft and many others are constantly being ported and improved and it works VERY well for them.

Last edited by deinonychus71,
Reactions: Eddypikachu

kiais

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is not gonna announce Smash at E3 due to the hype of ARMS, they wouldn't want to sabotage their own releases. Except something in 2018-2019, I prefer a new Smash as a reflection of this generation.

D

Dork

Okayyyy so first, I understand you get a little butthurt because someone said they weren't respecting your trolling answers anymore, but make sure you are answering to the right person. I was not that guy.
lol I never even said you were that guy.
Not caring that much about visual upgrades does not equal thinking no improvement can be made, nor is it due to a lack imagination (btw I did work on smash modding for quite a while). It's just a difference of priorities.
I don't think you even read my post. I'm an not opting for a straight upgrade of Smash 4's visuals. Different art direction is not the same concept as just making existing visuals better.

Also I really don't give a shit if you say you worked on mods. There are plenty of self-proclaimed modders on brawl vault and gamebanana who upload completely worthless garbage, and the amount of shit is overwhelming and disproportionate to the amount of actual quality work. So simply telling me that you are a modder is not impressive nor does it show me that you know what you're talking about.
They instead want more content. We can get better balancing, new modes, new stages, new skins, etc without wasting years of development from scratch.
I'm sure it would be even more cost-effective to just add that shit as DLC to the already existing Wii U version as opposed to just wasting time porting the game to a new platform. I'm surprised you're not in support of that instead, because it would be cheaper for you to buy. You shouldn't even be concerned if a new game would be a waste of time to develop or not because you are just a consumer. Unless you secretly work for Nintendo of course, in that case please PM me what Nintendo is working on.
I dunno, the thought of have an ultimate version with ever growing roster of characters, and huge collection of musics of all video games IP and stages for every character is a better dream to me than seeing slightly altered designs.
The problem is that there is no such thing as an "ultimate" version because you can always imagine ways of changing and adding something forever and forever. Theoretically there can always be something done so there is no end.

The reality is that constantly changing and adding to some old ass game is ultimately detrimental to the game's quality and will get very stale very fast. The Wii U version plus the DLC should be the "ultimate" version for you. If that's really not enough, you are insatiable. The game has had enough support, it's time to let go and let it become history, but it's not like you have to stop enjoying what you have.

Sculptors don't waste their time hacking away at the same old statue like an autistic mental patient, they finish it and use what they learned from working on it to make something new.
This whole thread is about assuming if yes or no they're going to make a port. So yes I'm assuming things, and you are assuming too. Stop making it sound like it's a big deal when that's just discussing.
I called you out for assuming things like how I felt about smash. That has nothing to do with discussing a potential port. They both involve making assumptions but they are different kinds of assumptions, like the assumptions you made about me are the equivalent of putting words in my mouth. They are not the same thing, think before you post.
How do I know how it works? I just follow the trend these past few years, where porting games from one generation to another have become the norm.
What the hell?

That post was in regards to me replying to you about how it would be a waste of time and money to make a new game from scratch, and now in response you start talking about how porting games throughout the generation has become a trend? What does that even have to do with what I'm saying? That has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I'm saying and it comes of as pointless derailing. Those are two completely different talking points and do not complement or address each other in anyway.

Arguing with you is exhausting. You are constantly misinterpreting what I'm saying and then you make unrelated statements BASED off of said misinterpretations. It's like I'm talking to a void, I'm constantly restating the exact same things over and over again but it doesn't matter. I really think you should go back to my old posts and give them a good thorough re-read, and then do some critical thinking for once.
Given how Brawl changes backfired at them, I can totally imagine a Brawl game with the base gameplay of Melee. Indeed modders have tried their best to recreate it.
Brawl definitely fucked with the gameplay, but you know what was well received about Brawl? The visuals, the art direction and sound design, and the adventure mode.
The only reason that even happened was because the developers did not like the gameplay of melee, and if they had the chance to re-release Melee, they would have still fucked up the gameplay. This is the reason why Smash needs new developers because the current devs act against the interests of competitive players.

Let's pretend Samurai decided to update Smash 4 to change the base gameplay of the game. Now that the underlining aspect of what gives a game it's identity has changed, it's not really Smash 4 anymore. The game plays differently, it pursues a different niche, this new game deserves it's own name.

Now this game with it's own name needs its own art and music to further set itself apart from what is was based on because it would be cheap otherwise.

Look at games like TEKKEN. This series is constantly trying out new visual styles and new music genres with every game that comes out while improving on the same gameplay system it had for years. This is what Smash should be, but it's not.
a enhanced port of Melee would have been good too
LOL

You are a clown, if you said something like that back in 2006 you would have gotten laughed right out of whatever forum you posted on. There used to be a time when people just naturally expected companies to make new games, but I guess that was before companies even bothered trying to screw with costumers with remasters.
The fact is, the times are really different now.
Oh they changed alright, they got a whole lot worse.
The Wii U was a fail, the Switch needs to sell and release more games and can't rely on third parties yet.
Maybe this wouldn't have been a problem if Nintendo actually released the Switch with loads of software readily available at launch? Of course that didn't happen, Nintendo willingly launched their new toy way too early, and the only big title it has is a fucking port of Zelda. This is a fucking joke. Nintendo screwed you over with a poor hardware launch, and now you're okay with them screwing you over even more with them releasing another port to compensate for their awful business decisions? Stop defending anti-consumer practices you moron.
Well they did it with Mario Kart 9 and it worked pretty well for them.
Yeah no shit, it's one of the two only big titles out right now. There is nothing else to buy besides Zelda and MK8. I'm sure if you throw a bone to a starving man he would love and appreciate it. Maybe if Nintendo actually released the Switch with games of its own then people wouldn't be begging like dogs for ports.
I am indeed not of this trend of anti-port SJW that makes no difference between a rubbish port and a good one and are against it for the sake of it. Same with DLCs.
Fuck you, having the gall to compare me to an SJW for no reason. I'm am not hating on ports just for the sake of it, ports are an artificial way of supporting hardware and are inherently bad for the industry as a whole. People will wise up eventually to the fact that modern console libraries consist mostly of re-releases and the industry will take a hit in some way. Nobody will look back fondly on the Switch if it just ends up being a portable Wii U with maybe one or two original games worth playing.
You have been attacking Sakurai directly in many occasions as well as "his games". Sakurai has been director of all the smash since Smash 64.
Dude, I said a couple of posts ago that I LIKED games like Kirby Air Ride and Kid Icarus Uprising, you just fucking made that up. Sakurai deserves recognition for the games he develops, but that does not always mean they deserve praise. You know what he wouldn't deserve praise for? Shitting out a cheaply made port, there is nothing more that screams no work ethic like an actual blatant rehash.

I mentioned before about how the original Smash 4 borrowed tons of assets from Brawl, which just shows how fucking burnt out that man is on making smash. Someone else needs to head the development for a change, cause it would really be interesting to see how someone else handles the IP.
I'm implying that a new Smash would disappoint because A: People would have to wait a long time for a brand new smash
People wait for games to come out, that's just how it is, this doesn't matter.
and B: It has to match that amount or content or more, anything less than that and people are gonna call it unfinished/rushed. Pretty much like SF5.
Then they should make a game that has more content? lol
That's their problem to worry about, they're the professionals after all.
And I think you're too used to the graphics propaganda to remember that what matters with a game is the fun it provides. See assumptions like that are easy to make
So now you're okay with making false assumptions, what a charming individual you are. I never even said I was against gameplay in favor of better graphics, that's another little thing you made up. I'm even going to bother getting into this because it has nothing to do with the thread topic, and it has NOTHING to do with what I'm saying. Just another worthless comment that made it really hard wrapping my head around your entire post because it's all nonsense.
At this point you still haven't provided a single argument against an enhanced version other than visuals.
Actually I have. In fact, I have multiple times. You just can't read for the life of you.

Last edited by ,

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways smash 5 is still a very unlikely game because of how a large scale game it is, the scale of smash 4 was so big they had to outsource developers from namco bandai and developers constantly had to work overtime when creating this game, creating a sequel to smash 4 with anything less than the amount of content it has will most likely spark outrage amongst fans. Another thing that makes this unlikely is that sakurai, the creator and director for all four iterations of smash bros, no longer want to work on the series, I really do not see any other well known director that is willing, able, and skilled enough to take his spot on developing such a grandiose title knowing full well that millions of fans are counting on them to develop something bigger and better than smash 4 currently is and knowing that their entire career might be on the line if they do not meet up to the fans expectations of being more content filled and action packed than smash 4.

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways smash 5 is still a very unlikely game because of how a large scale game it is, the scale of smash 4 was so big they had to outsource developers from namco bandai and developers constantly had to work overtime when creating this game, creating a sequel to smash 4 with anything less than the amount of content it has will most likely spark outrage amongst fans. Another thing that makes this unlikely is that sakurai, the creator and director for all four iterations of smash bros, no longer want to work on the series, I really do not see any other well known director that is willing, able, and skilled enough to take his spot on developing such a grandiose title knowing full well that millions of fans are counting on them to develop something bigger and better than smash 4 currently is and knowing that their entire career might be on the line if they do not meet up to the fans expectations of being more content filled and action packed than smash 4.
Actually, they were developing two games at the same time. One new game is easier to develop than 2

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
A port of the Wii U game is more likely to happen.
Why would they waste more money when they already made the game from scratch to a console with a limited dead line? Porting the game and adding a couple of features plus DLC is easier to do than to just start a new game from scratch.
About the price being 60$, yeah the game is on a new platform, obviously the game is gonna be expensive for a new platform since its more polished and therefore better.
I bought Resident Evil 5 for my PC and PS3 and both costed me 20$ and its the same fucking game, if you didn't complain about it back then you don't complain about it now, suck it up.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At some point the game has to come out, it has been on all systems (Besides Nintendo ds) and if it is true then it could just be a potential leak (That is if its coming from an official source.) If not, FAKE!

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At some point the game has to come out, it has been on all systems (Besides Nintendo ds) and if it is true then it could just be a potential leak (That is if its coming from an official source.) If not, FAKE!
This has already been proven to be fake, its just retextured stage with the same models. The finished renders were fixed up in photoshop.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't even see why I bothered trying to be respectful with cases like you, it was obvious your answers were gonna be plagued with attacks again. Let's get to your level.

First so called anti-consumer Nintendo policies
Nintendo screwed you over with a poor hardware launch, and now you're okay with them screwing you over even more with them releasing another port to compensate for their awful business decisions? Stop defending anti-consumer practices you moron.
Adding personal insults is always fun isn't ?
Meanwhile lots of people are happy with their Switch.
You fight MK9 ports and a potential Smash 4 port pretending to know what's best for people (no I'm not assuming), without actually considering that people are happy with MK9 Deluxe and that might me what MATTERS. And yes Nintendo is making money off it. Gosh this is awful.
I call that a anti-port SJW behavior.
Not gonna comments the other posts about it, they're all the same.

Now with what matters: Smash
I don't think you even read my post. I'm an not opting for a straight upgrade of Smash 4's visuals. Different art direction is not the same concept as just making existing visuals better.
Not my fault if that's what you kept bringing up, a change in art direction is still visual change, and that's nowhere near the top priority list of smash players. Before you say it: Yes that's just an assumption, based on the other people I play with, this thread, articles and all.

Brawl definitely fucked with the gameplay, but you know what was well received about Brawl? The visuals, the art direction and sound design, and the adventure mode.
The only reason that even happened was because the developers did not like the gameplay of melee, and if they had the chance to re-release Melee, they would have still fucked up the gameplay. This is the reason why Smash needs new developers because the current devs act against the interests of competitive players.

Let's pretend Samurai decided to update Smash 4 to change the base gameplay of the game. Now that the underlining aspect of what gives a game it's identity has changed, it's not really Smash 4 anymore. The game plays differently, it pursues a different niche, this new game deserves it's own name.

Now this game with it's own name needs its own art and music to further set itself apart from what is was based on because it would be cheap otherwise.

Look at games like TEKKEN. This series is constantly trying out new visual styles and new music genres with every game that comes out while improving on the same gameplay system it had for years. This is what Smash should be, but it's not.
Melee, Brawl, Smash 4, all were well received in terms of visuals and sound. Yes the adventure mode was amazing. And yes, it's absolutely lacking in Smash 4, there's room for improvement.
Not sure what you're talking about with art and musics though, beside the title and smash specific stages the music comes from Nintendo IPs, with some remixes, and assets are taken from Nintendo games. Smash Bros is different from Tekken in the way that's it a compilation of many different IPs that is clearly aiming for a nostalgic trip, and it's working and has been working.
Also with Tekken, although I'm not an expert, there's definitely a generational gap between 6 and 7. For other modern fighting games (Mortal Kombat, Injustice, Street Fighter) they do support their game a long time after it's out. Are the prices excessive? Probably. But the idea of supporting a core game is not new.
Melee is from another time where supporting a game after release wasn't an option on console. However on PC for example you had extensions for the core games, and there were always extensions of boardgames. There is no need to reinvent the wheel when it's worked well.

You are a clown, if you said something like that back in 2006 you would have gotten laughed right out of whatever forum you posted on. There used to be a time when people just naturally expected companies to make new games, but I guess that was before companies even bothered trying to screw with costumers with remasters.
Back then it wasn't possible because no way to update a game and keep it fresh, also yes, the trend wasn't to porting things. Today is different.
Proof being, I'm not the first one you're answering to, you'll see that the conversation here is split between people who want a new game and people who want to improve the existing one.

And finally all the completely avoidable stuff:
Also I really don't give a shit if you say you worked on mods. There are plenty of self-proclaimed modders on brawl vault and gamebanana who upload completely worthless garbage, and the amount of shit is overwhelming and disproportionate to the amount of actual quality work. So simply telling me that you are a modder is not impressive nor does it show me that you know what you're talking about.
Wow, this whole thing came out of a few words only.
Check your facts before assuming (there there...). Do your homework. It pays more than bullying.

I called you out for assuming things like how I felt about smash. That has nothing to do with discussing a potential port. They both involve making assumptions but they are different kinds of assumptions, like the assumptions you made about me are the equivalent of putting words in my mouth. They are not the same thing, think before you post.
The very end of that sentence is an assumption if you want to go that road, here's a few others:
"I can imagine someone exactly like you saying this same shit about a sequel to Smash 64. "We don't need Melee, they can just add things to 64! So what if its a port, you don't need a brand new game!"
"That only tells me that you have absolutely no imagination what so ever, which makes me thankful that you're not the one working on games."
"'I'm surprised you're not in support of that instead"
"I don't think you even read my post."

That post was in regards to me replying to you about how it would be a waste of time and money to make a new game from scratch, and now in response you start talking about how porting games throughout the generation has become a trend? What does that even have to do with what I'm saying? That has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I'm saying and it comes of as pointless derailing. Those are two completely different talking points and do not complement or address each other in anyway.
Oh nice why aren't you quoting what you said prior to my answer? Because that's not what you said:
"It makes no sense to expect a video game company to do their job? I don't get it, why are you pretending to know how game development cost-benefit analysis works? You're also just assuming again that they would stay with the same art direction."
My post is answering that. And yes a cost-effective way to release games is to port them. Nice attempt but a very dishonest one.
Arguing with you is exhausting. You are constantly misinterpreting what I'm saying and then you make unrelated statements BASED off of said misinterpretations. It's like I'm talking to a void, I'm constantly restating the exact same things over and over again but it doesn't matter. I really think you should go back to my old posts and give them a good thorough re-read, and then do some critical thinking for once.
Here's the irony. I stated my point, which would have just stayed an opinion if you didn't jump at my throat the day after. You decided to split my thread in many parts, like you did with others who gave up. And now you're acting all surprised because I actually answered it? Well you can only blame yourself. I only answered back because disrespectful people pisses me off more than a company trying to make money :).

Dude, I said a couple of posts ago that I LIKED games like Kirby Air Ride and Kid Icarus Uprising, you just fucking made that up. Sakurai deserves recognition for the games he develops, but that does not always mean they deserve praise. You know what he wouldn't deserve praise for? Shitting out a cheaply made port, there is nothing more that screams no work ethic like an actual blatant rehash.
No I haven't made that up, here's a quote from you again:
"Good, maybe Nintendo will get someone talented to do it."
Guess I'm still only assuming, right? Certainly It's a bad interpretation again.
Talk about ethics when you can respect people, thanks :)

So now you're okay with making false assumptions, what a charming individual you are. I never even said I was against gameplay in favor of better graphics, that's another little thing you made up. I'm even going to bother getting into this because it has nothing to do with the thread topic, and it has NOTHING to do with what I'm saying. Just another worthless comment that made it really hard wrapping my head around your entire post because it's all nonsense.
Oh god really? Let's quote your initial statement for good measure:
"I think you're just used to Nintendo screwing you over with outdated hardware."
I was sarcastically answering to your statement by using an equally stupid statement. It was painfully obvious. Just another worthless comment... answering yours :)

I also strongly encourage you to drop the insults and anti-Nintendo BS and focus on the Smash Bros matter. Or don't actually and accept that fact that we have different tastes and different expectations.

A port of the Wii U game is more likely to happen.
Why would they waste more money when they already made the game from scratch to a console with a limited dead line? Porting the game and adding a couple of features plus DLC is easier to do than to just start a new game from scratch.
About the price being 60$, yeah the game is on a new platform, obviously the game is gonna be expensive for a new platform since its more polished and therefore better.
I bought Resident Evil 5 for my PC and PS3 and both costed me 20$ and its the same fucking game, if you didn't complain about it back then you don't complain about it now, suck it up.
Yep, that's the obvious. Sadly there has been so many cash grab ports that some people are now absolutely unable to see what good it can do when done well.
I miss the good old PC extensions :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you pay your power bill? Or give all yo money to my wife, again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good the estimated time is the same exact time they just said
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Load up your pc and monitor, and head to a McDonalds dining room, they have free WiFi
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please watch your porn in the bathroom
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No sir we can not sell you anymore apple pies, after what you did with the last one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We ran out
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    for your life
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My life has no value my fat ass is staying right here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    i like that idea
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    before or after a hit
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    Veho @ Veho: It's a tradeoff.