Super Mario Odyssey level editor

Hi everyone, i'd like to introduce you to my latest project I teased a while ago on my youtube channel:
OdysseyEditor
A Super Mario Odyssey level editor

2nrpsmf.jpg

The name pretty much says it all, it can open and edit odyssey levels.
Other than editing levels it can also load and edit byml and szs files from the game (and probably other switch games).
There is still much research to be done, any contribution on Github is welcome.
To use it you need your own dump of the game, don't ask here how to get it.

Hotkeys list and other info.
Download here
Nightly builds (These don't auto update, you have to manually check for new builds)
Requires Window 7,8,9,10 and .NET framework 4.5.2

zkiw7l.jpg

14dkbqa.jpg

qn42lt.jpg

345n9tj.jpg

FAQ:
Windows Defender won't let me run it.
This is normal for "Homebrew" software, as this doesn't have a digital signature nor it's in Microsoft's databases it warns you that it might be a virus, click on more options and run anyway.

The only way i could remove this warning is to and digitally sign the exe, but buying a certificate costs $$$
If you don't trust the exe you can check the code on Github and compile it yourself.

Some models look worse than in-game.
As levels are much more complex than 3D Land, to improve performances the editor loads the furthest LOD of each model (aka the lowest quality)

The editor is laggy
Unfortunately you need a decent pc to run it, on my gaming laptop from late 2016 most of the levels run fine, but some of the most crowded ones like the city are laggy.

To improve the performances while editing you can hide models you don't need like backgrounds, skies, etc

Last edited by exelix11,

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Having a lot of fun with this. Amazing work!

Couple questions

What are the chances we can look at other folders, excluding stage data? (characters models etc). I might have seen we don't have the decryption key for that yet?

Creating your own stages - is this just a case of duplicating? I guess you can not import stuff from other levels?

Technically, when CFW allows the booting of retail games, it should be a case of encrypting the game files back up and playing your levels on the real hardware?

Kupie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With LayeredFS working, this some day soon working to truly replace things in-game makes me giddy!

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
just published version 1.1 !
This release fixes level saving: that's right saved levels now do work in-game !!
a lot of issues have also been fixed, check the full changelog on github.

Btw is it just me or the images on the OP don't show up ? They do in edit mode but not on the thread :unsure:

Genwald

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just published version 1.1 !
This release fixes level saving: that's right saved levels now do work in-game !!
a lot of issues have also been fixed, check the full changelog on github.
That's great! Can't wait to see some levels created with this!
Btw is it just me or the images on the OP don't show up ? They do in edit mode but not on the thread :unsure:
It seems that i.imgur blocks connections with a gbatemp referer. images load fine when I force my referer to anything else.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's great! Can't wait to see some levels created with this!

It seems that i.imgur blocks connections with a gbatemp referer. images load fine when I force my referer to anything else.

Uh, looks like it's against their TOS :/
don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network.

Reactions: Genwald

SH3RLOCK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Uh, looks like it's against their TOS :/

Tried to modify three kingdoms (including the Mushroom Kingdom). The game never loaded the edited szs :/ (Used layered FS and the save as szs function). Only blackscreen :/

Also I just made minor tweaks, not huge changes.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Tried to modify three kingdoms (including the Mushroom Kingdom). The game never loaded the edited szs :/ (Used layered FS and the save as szs function). Only blackscreen :/

Also I just made minor tweaks, not huge changes.
Make sure you're using the latest version of the editor. Adding objects still doesn't work, you must use the duplicate function.
If you save a level with a different name and then rename it from windows it won't work (It's a feature as the name of the file inside the szs must match the name of the szs)
Also make sure your layered fs build actually works.

D

Deleted-19228

Is there a megathread or site that has custom levels that everyone is using?

D

Deleted-19228

afaik there aren't many custom levels, I've just seen a few harder versions of already existing ones. Try searching on google, maybe on gamebanana

I saw a few on gamebanana. I figured this would be a huge thing right now. Custom Mario levels have always been huge

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I saw a few on gamebanana. I figured this would be a huge thing right now. Custom Mario levels have always been huge
I guess 3d land and 3d world are the exceptions that prove the rule ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Still, the editor is not ready to work on fully custom levels yet, with the next release it will get better if i get everything i planned working

Deleted member 442567

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi everyone, i'd like to introduce you to my latest project I teased a while ago on my youtube channel:
OdysseyEditor
A Super Mario Odyssey level editor

2nrpsmf.jpg

The name pretty much says it all, currently it can open and edit odyssey levels. Adding objects doesn't work yet, but you can duplicate existing objects and change their name so it's not that big of an issue.
Other than editing levels it can also load and edit byml files from the game (and probably other switch games).
There is still much research to be done, I might not be able to work actively on this until mid-summer, any contribution on Github is welcome.
To use it you need your own dump of the game, don't ask here how to get it.

For more info read the Readme on Github
Download here
Requires Window 7,8,9,10 and .NET framework 4.5.2

zkiw7l.jpg

14dkbqa.jpg

qn42lt.jpg

345n9tj.jpg

FAQ:
Windows Defender won't let me run it.
This is normal for "Homebrew" software, as this doesn't have a digital signature nor it's in Microsoft's databases it warns you that it might be a virus, click on more options and run anyway.

The only way i could remove this warning is to and digitally sign the exe, but buying a certificate costs $$$
If you don't trust the exe you can check the code on Github and compile it yourself.

Some models look worse than in-game.
As levels are much more complex than 3D Land, to improve performances the editor loads the furthest LOD of each model (aka the lowest quality)

The editor is laggy
Unfortunately you need a decent pc to run it, on my gaming laptop from late 2016 most of the levels run fine, but some of the most crowded ones like the city are laggy.

To improve the performances while editing you can hide models you don't need like backgrounds, skies, etc

I wanna make super mario Odysee 64 Can we load completely new models like Cap Kingdom replacing with Princess Peachs Castle Ground from Mario 64?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: