Gaming Super Mario 64 on 3DS

unseen4ce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am new, so I thought this would be better than an intro thread. I tried to search to make sure this was an orignal topic, but you can't search the term "3DS" or "64", making it only possible to search through some "mario" topics.

Anyways, how much better is Super Mario 64 on the 3DS then the original DS, the analog stick makes it so much easier then using the touch screen or d-pad, which rendered it unplayable on the ds. I am so happy to have it now, It is even better then the New Super Mario Bros., which is good, but not as good.

I am now a huge fan of the 3DS, I find it easier to pick-up and play then my xbox, less complex, more relaxing.

I wanted to highlight the awesomeness that the analog controls make to gameplay, making a previously unplayable game great. I have to recommend this to people, give Mario 64 another go (this is my first play-through) while waiting for zelda oot. Right now I am re-visiting some classic ds games due to Nintendo's poor release line-up in Oz, and I must admit I am now sold on the DS, it is an almost a perfect handheld.

The 3DS makes DS games better, although it does not display in the native resolution, the controls are so much better.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
You can make it display them in the native resolution if you want to. Just hold START or SELECT when you launch the game.

Also, when making comparisons, the correct word is than, not then.
"the analog stick makes it so much easier than using the touch screen or d-pad"

I haven't got around to playing any old DS games on my 3DS. Samurai Warriors Chronicles is keeping me quite busy enough for now.

shadowgauge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some games look cleaner.The prob i see with ds games on 3ds is that the games lose their blacks which reduces definition and creates a washed out look.The games especially the 3d ones like mario 64 and racing games have a clean look to them with less jaggies,the control on 3ds makes games more playable as well.

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SM64DS on 3DS is a lot better with the circle pad, from personal experience
smile.gif

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use the circle pad for input in DS titles. Games like Metroid Prime Hunters and Super Mario 64 greatly benefit from this, as it feels much more smooth and fluid. Some people have stated that DS games look blurry when played on the DS, but I've played about 20 different ones, and none of them have looked blurry.

VGMaster64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
theretrogamer.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
I completely agree that the controls feel great on a 3DS. I don't have any 3DS games, so playing games like Mario 64 DS makes it feel like a whole new experience... except there's no 3D and it's pretty much an N64 game on my 3DS. At least it's better than using the D-pad.

deadmaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That was the only DS game I tested on my 3DS (in fact, the only game I tested since my 3DS games haven't arrived yet). And yes, the controls are great with the Analog Stick!

And I really didn't find its looks blurry. I've learned that people on the internet can make a real tiny problem look huge!!

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
Seems I'm not the only one that used super mario 64 as a test subject for the circle pad in Ds games
tongue.gif

I only played for 5-10 minutes but as already mentioned it makes it seem a lot smoother, even with only eight directions of control.

Seemed a little odd needing a run button when using a analogue input though, but that's a limitation of the circle pad emulating a Ds dpad.

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It probably feels smoother but I don't think there's anything it can do that the Dpad can't. Isn't it still on or off? Trying to tip toe past those crazy piranahs would still be tough.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
MADKATZ99 said:
It probably feels smoother but I don't think there's anything it can do that the Dpad can't. Isn't it still on or off? Trying to tip toe past those crazy piranahs would still be tough.

Its way easier to hit the diagonal directions with the circle pad, giving you much more control over little mario. as for sneaking pas sleeping plants, just dont hit the 'run' button, using the circlepad without holding Y is walking slowly.

Mario64 is a MUCH more fun game on the 3DS than it is on either of the DS versions.

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Super Mario 64 DS feels quite clean (to control with the circle pad) on the 3DS despite only having eight directions available.

However, I also tried Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, and whilst I prefer to use the circle pad, it easily showcases the limitations of only having eight directions. That is, you can easily see the transition between each direction when using the circle pad (which is less noticeable with the D-Pad since you don't expect any more than eight directions).

Mario 64's transition between directions seems smoother, although this can probably be attributed to it originally being a Nintendo 64 game (I don't know how much of it was rewritten for the DS, so I could be wrong).

DxEggman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the ds phat wrist strap > analog pad for sm64ds
i've kept that thing long after i traded my ds phat, and this day is attached to my 3ds.
and sm64ds is the only game i use its thumb pad for....
unsure.gif

but yeah youre not limited to 8 directions, so yeah.

caffolote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo will never make a SM64 on 3DS because they already made one on the DS. Why would anyone buy a 3DS version? There are a lot of other N64 games that need to be remade.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
caffolote said:
Nintendo will never make a SM64 on 3DS because they already made one on the DS. Why would anyone buy a 3DS version? There are a lot of other N64 games that need to be remade.
Donkey fucking Kong 64

unseen4ce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Isn't it still on or off? Trying to tip toe past those crazy piranahs would still be tough.

I am sure it is not on/off, I mean you can push the analog just a little bit and yoshi will walk.

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't quite understand all the questions about walking but basically, if you don't hold down the run button, your character doesn't run. It's really very simple. If you ever want to use the D-pad, you can - it's not like it doesn't function on the game
nyanya.gif
Personally, though, I think this game plays a lot better on the 3DS with the circle pad than it ever did on any of the DS systems. I tried several different control methods including the thumb-stylus, stylus, D-pad etc. and I felt that all of them lacked something. The circle pad fixes this for me
smile.gif
It's also ace to spin Bowser around with the circle pad. I hated having to change control schemes on the DS every time I needed to do that
dry.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo