SupaBoy SFC Release date revealed

Today Hyperkin has announced that the release date of the all-new SupaBoy SFC will be March 9th 2018. Here is the press release:

Introducing the SupaBoy SFC from Hyperkin: The popular retro handheld is back with improved tech and a new colour combo that's sure to delight European fans!

Hyperkin's SupaBoy S was revered for liberating retro-gaming from the living room. Powerful but portable - it allowed you to take your SNES cartridges on the road, on the train or wherever you pleased!

Now, packed with features to make portable gaming as pleasurable as it is easy - the new SupaBoy SFC launches at a time when reliving those SNES classics is more popular than ever.

2lx6y5c1d47e.jpg

Retro gaming on the go...

The SupaBoy SFC lets you take your favourite games with you, without sacrificing gameplay quality. A crisp 4.3 inch screen displays your games with clarity, while adjustable brightness means playing will be comfortable in any light. Holding down the brightness button also lets you switch between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio.

Stereo sound can be pumped through the front-facing speakers or via the 3.5mm headphone jack. For longer trips the console's Lithium-ion battery will keep you playing for 10 hours and is rechargeable via the included Micro-USB cable.

...or at home!

Switch owners aren't the only ones who get to play great Nintendo games in the palm of their hands and on the big screen.

The SupaBoy SFC includes two front-loading controller ports (for original SNES-compatible controllers) and an AV output. These features combine to allow two players to unleash multiplayer chaos on the big screen TV!

vb292lc1d47e.jpg vb293ds1d47e.jpg vb294yo1d47e.jpg

New Pin Perfect™ Technology

The SupaBoy SFC will happily play SNES (NTSC/PAL) and SFC cartridges. For reading those cartridges Hyperkin have managed to incorporate their new Pin Perfect™ technology into this handheld device.

Also found in their latest home consoles, these state-of-the-art pins have been engineered by Hyperkin to set a new standard in high quality pins. Providing a sturdy connection between console and cartridge, Pin Perfect™ technology ensures gameplay isn't interrupted even if you shake or bump the machine - perfect for gaming on-the-move!

Full Features List
  • 4.3 inch screen
  • Stereo sound with 3.5 mm headphone jack
  • Adjustable brightness button
  • Switch between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio
  • Rechargeable Li-Ion battery with 10 hours of battery life
  • Hyperkin-engineered Pin Perfect™ (Patent Pending) technology

:arrow: The SupaBoy SFC will be released on March 9th and is available to pre-order now from FunstockRetro.co.uk

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is this a hardware emulation or just another glorified android device with snes9x?
The previous models were hardware clones, so I'd assume this one is too. "Emulation" wouldn't be a correct term here.
so... compared to the old one... this has colored buttons?
And it finally adds a 4:3 option, something which the Supaboy S lacked.

Reactions: THYPLEX and eriol33

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm...why does this thing have SNES connections on the FRONT of the device? :unsure:

And perhaps more so: why don't they even mention that you can (theoretically) play 2-player games on the go. I mean...you CAN play 2-player games where one player uses the buttons, the other one a connection and them both using the (small) screen, right?

...right? :unsure:

Better than snes mini. Like almost anything in the world.
People buy the SNES mini because it looks like a SNES and is made by nintendo.

But while it certainly has strong points, I do have to give credit where due: that has a HDMI connection. This one is regular AV (...which I'm not sure all modern televisions even still have :unsure: ).

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm...why does this thing have SNES connections on the FRONT of the device? :unsure:

And perhaps more so: why don't they even mention that you can (theoretically) play 2-player games on the go. I mean...you CAN play 2-player games where one player uses the buttons, the other one a connection and them both using the (small) screen, right?

...right? :unsure:

People buy the SNES mini because it looks like a SNES and is made by nintendo.

But while it certainly has strong points, I do have to give credit where due: that has a HDMI connection. This one is regular AV (...which I'm not sure all modern televisions even still have :unsure: ).
The Supaboy S had the controller ports on the front as well. With the RDP I had to use a switch with the controller adapter to switch between using the console or controller 1 but you could still use both.

AngeloftheNight091

Trophies
Website
www.snowpointtemple.com
XP
Country
Canada
Not gonna Lie, this is kind of awesome! But the biggest issue I would have is that its Super Thick! Really cool it can fit the old SNES Cartridges, but Whats the Point when you have have a 3DS Family console on Luma run virtual console.

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They truly upped their game, the pin perfect tech is really a nice touch, the best part for me though is the option to go 4:3... I still wonder why they even put a 16:9 screen there TBH but the last iteration the Supaboy S wouldn't render games in 4:3 at all...

I wonder if the Supaboy S will also benefit from those changes, if you want purple colored buttons.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not gonna Lie, this is kind of awesome! But the biggest issue I would have is that its Super Thick! Really cool it can fit the old SNES Cartridges, but Whats the Point when you have have a 3DS Family console on Luma run virtual console.
it's the difference between software based emulation and running off hardware as close to natively as possible. If it's not something you particularly care about, then I'd probably pick the 3ds as well.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reminds me of this psp mod, and quite honestly I think I would rather have the psp over actual SNES hardware... but after watching the recent videos about how the SNES works and everyone beings all hot over 1 system... I would rather have one of those new "perfect" SNES redesigns. Of course you lose all portability, but I can't really imagine this thing is all that portable anyways.

e80a0bd54bdacf5ea6fc55a541d0a115.jpg

D

Deleted User

Why wouldn't you just buy a used psp-3000 and have a much nicer experience emulating the games, or even just buy some shitty bluetooth controller and clip it to your android and emulate it on that

I really don't see the appeal in buying a product like this when you can do it better with things you probably already have or could get cheaper

Reactions: lolboy and DarthDub

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol