GCN Suggestions on modding my GameCube

CalmestRoadkill

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just picked up a GC from GoodWill a few hours ago. Despite all the consoles I've owned, a GC was never one of them.

From what I've read, soft modding seems limited. It can be done via PSU Online, but I don't think that's the route I want to go. What does everyone suggest in terms of hardmodding? What chips are good ones? I've seen suggestions for a lot of them, but wasn't sure what the differences among them were.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed a XenoGC in my "spice" (i.e. orange) Japanese Gamecube last fall. Despite all the stuff you might read about disk reading problems and needing to tweak the potentiometer on the laser, etc., mine has been 100% from the start with no fiddling. (so don't bother buying a multimeter and messing with things until you've tried burning disks on at least a couple drives first, if you have problems)

I bought some bulk 8cm DVD-R, burned with imgburn on a generic laptop drive, and they've all worked great. (I made a couple coasters at first, on my desktop's worn-out Plextor. Switched to the laptop and all was good.)

Here's the link to the same disks I bought. I've almost used up my second stack now, but my collection's as complete as I want it to be.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Duplicator-Grade-Silver-Spindle/dp/B0056BYHAM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403756220&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=phillips mini dvd-r

But a warning ... installing a XenoGC, or any GCN chip, is not an easy task if you have no soldering experience. It's very fine work. I used the so-called 'short-wire' technique, and it all worked out great. But it wasn't my first time to the rodeo - first time I installed a modchip was around 2001.

Here's a link explaining the short-wire installation:
http://128bit.me/index.php?topic=14725.0

As with anything like this, research the hell out of it before you act. Good luck.

Edit: Also, if you go ahead with the mod and it's successful, then get yourself a new genuine 1019 Memory Card while you still can. $24 on amazon. You're gonna need it.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a XenoGC from EurAsia. I ordered from them a few times in the past and they were always good.

Also, I have to say it is actually a very easy install IMO as the chip is "easy solder" -- the places to solder to on the chip are placed so they can be soldered to the board without wire. However, it is easier to use some 30awg wire to attach the chip if you can't get a good hot solder joint. Hopefully that makes sense.

You will also need to buy/make a screwdriver/bit to open the GC since it has security screws (same type as SNES, N64, etc.).

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just FWIW, there's nothing easy about that 'easy solder' design if you have no experience with a soldering iron. The OP could be a master, he didn't say. But I found it to be very close and detailed work, even using that short wire technique I linked to. And there are/were plenty of horror stories of people messing up with the XenoGC when modding gamecubes was a common thing some years ago.

OP, if you don't have experience with soldering, do practice a bit first. Get a cheap old cart game from a pawn shop and get the board out and experiment with soldering little wires to contact points. And here's a big tip: go to Radio Shack and buy a little tub of 'flux.' Stuff looks like brown vaseline .. you put a tiny amount on the point you're soldering to and the solder will attach MUCH better than if you don't use it. (I applied it to the points on the GC board with the point of a toothpick) Try soldering without it too when you practice, to see the benefit. But it only takes the tiniest bit ... don't use it in glops because any excess left over can be corrosive, and it's pretty much impossible to clean under a XenoGC chip once it's installed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up