GCN Can I fix it? I damaged my gamecube

jonathanggtz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This takes place back in 2014 when I was 13 years old. I tried to mod my gamecube with the xenogc chip, but when I did it I damaged my gc. Since that moment my gc wasn't able to read any disk and it didn't work anymore. So I keeped it thinking that one day I would be able to fix it. Now that I'm 21 and since I'm studying Software Engineer at college, I have done many school projects using arduino and stuff like that, so I feel more capable of fixing my gc that one day I broke down. As you guys can see, some of the golden contacts came off. What do you guys think that I can do with this? What do you recommend? I don't wanna throw my gc to the trash lol. Thank you.
WhatsApp Image 2022-12-21 at 12.18.04 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-12-21 at 12.18.08 AM.jpeg

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ripped solder pads? Did you try the zero wire installation… and after it didn't work out, you pulled on the chip trying to remove it?

I'd normally assume that the drive was still operable. Damaged traces could be a thing as well. On the lower left corner two points seem shorted. Carefully remove the solder with desoldering wick and gently clean off any junk. Upload a better picture afterwards – maybe somebody can spot a problem.

Being not very versed in electronics myself, I can't be of real assistance here. If the drive isn't working anymore but the console starts normally, Picoboot and an SD2SP2/SD-Gecko is an option for bypassing the need for the drive.

Good luck!

Edit:
Installing Picoboot isn't trivial and could damage the motherboard beyond repair. Make sure you have enough practice before attempting this. It is (of course) your own risk.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: lol there's a guy selling mig switch in usa on ebay for $200/ea he's definitely going to get...