Not open for further replies.

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk, maybe a reputation bar where you press the Plus to add reputation, and Minus to remove. This could help on user reliability. I would find it nice, like in guides.
"Maybe this person is trying to brick my Wii... An evil guide that looks mysteriously non-evil looking. Oh wait, he has 500rep, this guide is definitely reliable
biggrin.gif
"

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rep is mainly for warez forums where people want to see if the person is considered reliable in their uploads. If you "rep" someone to a very high rep, odds are you'll go for their links more than someone with lesser rep. On a forum that doesn't do much in the ways of file sharing, it's useless.

So no, it's not needed.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Guild McCommunist said:
On a forum that doesn't do much in the ways of file sharing
don't lie to us, we know the only reason people become staff is to get access to the warez sub-forum
ph34r.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I've seen a couple forums where a reputation system DOES work... when it's by post, NOT by user. What really struck me is that one of those forums is a runescape fan forum... which you'd normally expect to be full of misuse of the system everywhere, but instead people use it as intended, and it actually helps to cut back on flame wars because a person can get satisfaction by downvoting somebody's post to give them -1 instead of potentially posting something flaming in response to show they don't like it.

It's entirely possible to see a user post a really helpful suggestion and that post is +10, whereas another post of theirs is total dumbassery and is -3... I'm pretty sure limiting the number of votes you can cast on posts per 24 hours helps, and it keeps most posts at 0/neutral rating since people don't want to waste their daily votes, but of course some of the most helpful posts are like +80, and one of the really stupid ones get down to like -30 if it's pretty much universally-bad.

I don't agree with per-user reputation, but rather per-post seems plausible to me. I hear tales (and it makes sense) that'd it'd be abused, but I've seen forums that tried it, and if a huge community of runescape players can use it properly I'm sure this forum could as well.

Z

Zorua

No, definitely no. This isn't PSN or Xbox Live. This is GBAtemp and it will stay this way.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
mercluke said:
Guild McCommunist said:
On a forum that doesn't do much in the ways of file sharing
don't lie to us, we know the only reason people become staff is to get access to the warez sub-forum
ph34r.gif
You weren't supposed to mention that... now Costello will be sending highly skilled assassins your way sometime in the near future.
ph34r.gif

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Vulpes Abnocto said:
This gets suggested about once every four months, and is shot down every time.
We want GBAtemp to be a community, not a popularity contest and e-peen gallery.
Crap.....I must be in a wrong place for years then..

I always thought temp is a popularity contest and e-peen gallery.....and that I'm doing quite well
biggrin.gif

Thanks for shattering my dreams
frown.gif

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I'd go with Rydian's suggestion. but i'd like to add that a user can only vote once per specific post.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TechnoWorm said:
I think that's what the WARN bar is for..

More Warn % means... unreliable
(don't quote me on that, that's just a guess)
smile.gif
Unless you're staff, you can only see your own warn bar. (Ironically, staff members have no warn bar to see.)

And everyone knows the higher warn you have means the better you are.
ninja.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No rep. Not per user, not per post. It's not necessary. We already have a section for the total crap people like to post, it's called the edge of the forum. Learn to use your own common sense when determining a post/guides worth. You don't need other people to constantly tell you what's good and what's bad.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
lilsypha said:
No rep. Not per user, not per post. It's not necessary. We already have a section for the total crap people like to post, it's called the edge of the forum. Learn to use your own common sense when determining a post/guides worth. You don't need other people to constantly tell you what's good and what's bad.

And with this nice post, I come and close the thread
biggrin.gif
(because that's my thing, and that's what I do!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1