trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most people already pointed out, the problem with Steam machine is that it is still very modular. There is so many spec variation with Steam machine. This creates consumer confusion and making some game not playable on some system.

What Valve should have done is published a system spec that OEM needs to adhere, then developer will develop game based on that spec to ensure it can be run on every Steam machine.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Most people already pointed out, the problem with Steam machine is that it is still very modular. There is so many spec variation with Steam machine. This creates consumer confusion and making some game not playable on some system.

What Valve should have done is published a system spec that OEM needs to adhere, then developer will develop game based on that spec to ensure it can be run on every Steam machine.

The problem isn't really with the specs, it's with the Linux based OS. Even the cheapest Steam Machine listed so far would have more than enough power to run anything thrown at it at the highest settings. An i5/AMD equivalent, an AMD Radeon R9 270/GTX 760, 8GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD for $500 would have no problems playing anything out right now.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You take that back!

I didn't say Linux was bad (hell, I'm dualbooting Linux Mint on my laptop), just that Steam doesn't have many Linux-Supported games. They're working on getting more, but at the moment there's only like 500 compared to the thousands on Windows. lrn2readcomprehension

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like I was indeed the only one who was disappointed in the lack of new hardware platforms.

I'm glad I made this thread because I've been waiting on machines like I described to arrive for about a year now, but now I know there isn't a huge demand for them, I know they probably won't be made. I guess I'll have a go at throwing my own together and hope for the best.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
It seems like I was indeed the only one who was disappointed in the lack of new hardware platforms.

You're not alone, I was looking forward to seeing the Steam Machines, but then I saw this overpriced garbage with bad specs. Combine that with a terrible OS based on Linux, and you've got something no one is interested in.

How many games does Steam have released for Linux, a grand total of like, thirteen?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not alone, I was looking forward to seeing the Steam Machines, but then I saw this overpriced garbage with bad specs. Combine that with a terrible OS based on Linux, and you've got something no one is interested in.

How many games does Steam have released for Linux, a grand total of like, thirteen?
http://steamdb.info/linux/

Reactions: Huntereb

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that, that means I can play some Bioshock on my Steam Machine! Oh, it isn't on Linux... Well then I can still play CoD Ghosts, oh wait no I can't.

I can play Meat Boy... Yay? :unsure:

Compare the 300 games available on Linux, to the 3000+ in the whole Steam library.
no need to be so snarky. You said 13 titles, and I linked you to over 300.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't mean for it to be taken as mean, sorry. Me saying 13 was more of a pun toward how little games are in the current Linux Library. It's a joke how small the selection is.
That'd probably be more a hyperbole or exaggeration than a pun. Regardless, we're good, I guess I just didn't read the tone very well over the Internet.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
That'd probably be more a hyperbole or exaggeration than a pun. Regardless, we're good, I guess I just didn't read the tone very well over the Internet.

Hyperbole was the word I was looking for. And it was meant to be read in a sarcastic tone, so it does seem a bit mean now that I think about it. :rolleyes:

xXMortalKombatXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, what valve wants to introduce with the steam box is being done by me right now, i just have my PC plugged to my tv in the living room and play/masturbate with my wireless mouse and keyboard... plus it can have any funcionality i want, while having a bigger control of what i own, after all i built it myself,
so yeah, FUK U VALVE U DUIN WRUNG

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up