Homebrew Starcraft DS?

Emu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering if it'd even be possible, it made it to N64 so i'm hoping so. The game would be perfect for touch screen and multiplayer, if not going to be made, why not move it over to DS ourselves. I'd like to see someone try as i'm incapable.

MorteM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Being a RTS multiplayer fantast, I'd rather see Starcraft being kept on PC. Theme Hospital on the other hand...

spas

Trophies
XP
Country
It would be absolute AMAZING if starcraft or c&c or another RTS was made for DS. Age of the empires is good but is turn based. The is one big problem I guess and thats the overall processing power it takes up. Although the graphic quality is easy to replicate there is a large amount of CPU usage in RTS games such as starcraft. With having 300 units all with separate health, separate attacks and also tracking the counterparts and attacking them also, its going to be dam tuff on the arm processors inside the DS's.

BUT I hope it happens so much too!

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Too bad Zerg Rushes and Mass Carriers would be impossible on the DS
frown.gif

trelantana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
frown.gif

Oh yeah, only 255 sprites on a screen at once. =(
There IS a way around that. By using the 3d engine and rendering all the sprites on flat surfaces, you can have more sprites.

Technically, though, they wouldn't be sprites, but polys. And you could have more because the polycount you can render is higher than the sprites you can render on screen. So I guess it wouldn't be bypassing the sprite limitations, but it WOULD be a way to make the game.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
frown.gif

There IS a way around that. By using the 3d engine and rendering all the sprites on flat surfaces, you can have more sprites.

Technically, though, they wouldn't be sprites, but polys. And you could have more because the polycount you can render is higher than the sprites you can render on screen. So I guess it wouldn't be bypassing the sprite limitations, but it WOULD be a way to make the game.
Right.. 200+ polys on screen with animated textures wouldn't lag the hell out of the DS...

Developers don't let out games with that much lag. you say it "would" be a way to make the game, but it wouldn't pass QA.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You could just have the DS version have build limits, Microsoft’s AOE had them. I wonder how
the game would play with a 50-unit limit. Or maybe if & when the homebrew C&C comes out it
could be modified for SC.

starcraft-ds.gif

scoozer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
frown.gif

Right.. 200+ polys on screen with animated textures wouldn't lag the hell out of the DS...

Developers don't let out games with that much lag. you say it "would" be a way to make the game, but it wouldn't pass QA.

If we're talking about HomebrewGames I think many wouldn't pass QA
rofl2.gif

Xenophobe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd rather have a new IP which is specifically tailored to the DS. Screw CS/SC/etc etc on the DS, I'd rather see something new that would actually work with the DS.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to see Rome Total War ported to DS. I love making full gold chevroned Spartans and then going to russia and slaughtering all the rebels. Good times with the Total War series(sorry for going off topic there)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can