Gaming Star Fox 64 3D Discussion

Inpression

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got to play the demo on a store display, and it looks really great in motion, far better than the N64 version. The controls seem smoother too, it's a damn shame about the lack of online multiplayer.

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Played this at Hyper Japan, and loved how smooth and good it looked.

Can't wait till this comes through the post next week, I know it is already fantastic and lives up the hype.

Whilst it is sad it doesn't have online multiplayer, it does have single cartridge multiplayer (3DS Download Play) which makes up for it for me, as I can bring my copy around with me when I meet my friends etc. Also, unlike the DS, there are non of the associated limitations for the 3DS multiplayer, i.e no restricted content from only using 1 cartridge
smile.gif

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, a lot of people not buying because of no online? What a joke you people are.

Not every game has to be online, the sooner you figure that out, the better. You'll also have more games in your library instead of having to say the cynical asshole remark: "i didn't buy because it had no online".

Satirical

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Another remake of a N64 game which they couldn't even be assed to do online for.

So yeah, I'm not excited.

EDIT: And not to sound like a generic retrotard but I enjoyed the SNES game more.

The game probably won't be too good despite getting a 9.4/10 on the Official Nintendo Magazine (UK), but the reason why I'm replying is because when I read "they couldn't even be assed to do online for" I raged. I'm sick of seeing idiots complaining about features they take for granted and have absolutely no fucking idea how they work or how much effort is put into satisfying your mediocre needs, let's say they did put online in, why the fuck would you need it for Starfox? What kind of multiplayer could you have? Coop? What's the point of spending time developing online when no one will play it, just like all the other 3DS games no one plays online, except Tetris DS.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Satirical said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Another remake of a N64 game which they couldn't even be assed to do online for.

So yeah, I'm not excited.

EDIT: And not to sound like a generic retrotard but I enjoyed the SNES game more.

The game probably won't be too good despite getting a 9.4/10 on the Official Nintendo Magazine (UK), but the reason why I'm replying is because when I read "they couldn't even be assed to do online for" I raged. I'm sick of seeing idiots complaining about features they take for granted and have absolutely no fucking idea how they work or how much effort is put into satisfying your mediocre needs, let's say they did put online in, why the fuck would you need it for Starfox? What kind of multiplayer could you have? Coop? What's the point of spending time developing online when no one will play it, just like all the other 3DS games no one plays online, except Tetris DS.

The game has been getting great reviews from a bunch of sites/mags. But I agree with the latter part of your post. Gamers today have gotten so spoiled and needy that they will find the tiniest thing to rage about.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I still have the SNES and N64 carts on my shelf so I'm debating whether this is worth investing in. Lylat Wars is one of my favourite games of all time, I've played it to death. But is it really worth £40 to get a game that I already own? I did it with Zelda and there was always a niggling voice in my head telling me I could be playing it for free if I could be bothered setting up the N64. I wouldn't mind getting some decent games for my 3DS but a new Starfox would've been preferable.

Still, I know it'll be a good game and I'll get plenty of use out of it. So if I can maybe find it cheaper than standard I'll invest. It's only £30 on shopto.net, maybe I'll go for it. Not to keen on the new voices if I'm perfectly honest but what else is there for the 3DS at the moment?

nugundam0079

Prime Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Still debating getting this-i mean i still have the original in my closet right now. I wish they added the original Star Fox at least (which I also have)or even Star Fox two as an easter egg bonus..$40 is a bit much for what i think is a barely enhanced port.

Also..isnt Star Fox 64 just a remake of the Original Star Fox? I mean of course things are changed around but the same premise/levels are there...

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
nugundam0079 said:
Still debating getting this-i mean i still have the original in my closet right now. I wish they added the original Star Fox at least (which I also have)or even Star Fox two as an easter egg bonus..$40 is a bit much for what i think is a barely enhanced port.

Also..isnt Star Fox 64 just a remake of the Original Star Fox? I mean of course things are changed around but the same premise/levels are there...

They should at least do Starwing and the unreleased Starfox 2 on the E-Shop. I know I'd invest. I'd have preferred them to be included on this as bonus unlockables. Possibly by finding flags hidden in each level or something like Starfox Assault. Give returning veterans like me something new to look for. I'd have it so you unlock the original Starfox for finding all the flags, then you have to find them all on Expert mode and get every medal to unlock Starfox 2. It'd be a nice challenge. Especially since there's little reason in unlocking the extra vehicles for multiplayer if there's no online, assuming the extra vehicles are still there anyway as they could only be used on Corneria's multiplayer stage, which I've not seen in any of the trailers.

Still, Nintendo are getting lazy in their old age. They know their stuff will sell even if they don't put the effort in. Just look at how bad Pokemon has stagnated over the years. Always the same old trek for 8 badges, save the world on the way if you have a few minutes. Adding to the game in the most feeble sense, with just a few extra pokemon and a slight facelift. Starfox is the same. They know this'll sell to the new wave of casual gamers who weren't around in the days of the N64, so why bother doing anything nice for those of us who have been here since the beginning?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Concerning the whole "no online = game sucks" comments, if it did have support for it, just how often would someone play the game's battle mode online? IMO, games like Mario Kart and Street Fighter work well for having that online component because the entire structure of the games are more of less built for it. SF64 3D is not. There would have to be a lot of extra content just in the multi-player portion to warrant a reason for having online multi-player, as the main portion of the game is single-player-based. Taking the game as-is, and adding online would be like taking Super Mario 64 DS, and adding online play to the multi-player mode of that.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
DiscostewSM said:
Concerning the whole "no online = game sucks" comments, if it did have support for it, just how often would someone play the game's battle mode online? IMO, games like Mario Kart and Street Fighter work well for having that online component because the entire structure of the games are more of less built for it. SF64 3D is not. There would have to be a lot of extra content just in the multi-player portion to warrant a reason for having online multi-player, as the main portion of the game is single-player-based. Taking the game as-is, and adding online would be like taking Super Mario 64 DS, and adding online play to the multi-player mode of that.
But exactly that is what Sony did with e.g. Uncharted 2. And there are many more examples. So why not, Nintendo...

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
DiscostewSM said:
But exactly that is what Sony did with e.g. Uncharted 2. And there are many more examples. So why not, Nintendo...
Because they are rivals, for one.

Also, because Nintendo has always been very Single/local multiplayer oriented, I mean, just look, they just patented the genre "Massively Singleplayer Online game"

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Why is this game good? Can anyone tell me?? I personally don't like Aircraft Shooters, gets boring quickly, atleast IMO. Is it just sitting in an Aircraft and shooting around ships and stuff?? Or are there ground battles too (controlling Fox McCloud himself)??

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SamAsh07 said:
Or are there ground battles too (controlling Fox McCloud himself)??
Excuse me while I go laugh at my Gamecube.
[title:
rofl2.gif
]
512EC3HYF1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
No, no on-foot battles. There are ground battles though, you fight with the landmaster, it's similar to the flight battles, though.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
machomuu said:
SamAsh07 said:
Or are there ground battles too (controlling Fox McCloud himself)??
Excuse me while I go laugh at my Gamecube.
[title:
rofl2.gif
]
512EC3HYF1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
No, no on-foot battles. There are ground battles though, you fight with the landmaster, it's similar to the flight battles, though.
:wtf: Oookkkaayyy. I never played a Star Fox game though, always wanted to try one but seeing how it's Aircraft based, not interested in investing money on it.

List of franchises I've never played and want to:-
- Pikmin
- StarFox
- F-Zero

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
DiscostewSM said:

The example of Uncharted 2, mind you, is already an example of a fitting game that works with incorporating online multiplayer. That doesn't change the fact that as-is, SF64 3D is not equipped for it. The only way it could have is if it had "new and separate" content to allow it. Starfox Command, for example, allowed it because it wasn't restricted by the game's current design, as it was built from the bottom up. SF64 3D is a port, or remake, or whatever you call it, but it takes a lot from the original as a template for its design. Even having described SM64 DS in my prior post, that game was altered in far more ways that SF64 3D has shown so far from a design point, giving them the opportunity to build on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:unsure::unsure::D:D:wub::D:D