SpillPass for Raspberry Pi v1.6

Discussion in '3DS - Nintendo Network' started by JackyD, Oct 7, 2013.

1. lilpuddy31

lilpuddy31 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2003
    United States
    Missouri
    Hello people, quick question. Does Spillpass 1.6 not work with certain routers? The reason I'm asking is this: earlier this year, I was running Spillpass 1.6 and everything worked perfect, I was using AT&T U-Verse and their equipment then. I've since switched providers, Charter Spectrum with a Netgear Router, tried hooking the PI back up and I got absolutely no streetpasses. I've noticed that Spillpass' creator has retired 1.6 in favor of the Pi-2 program since the last time my Spillpass worked, would that effect my Pi?

2. JackyD
    OP

JackyD Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2006
    United States
    It shouldnt. I have not had any cases where any particular router blocks what is needed.
    BTW, you can update your Pi1 to the new software too.

3. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    Last edited by naddel81, Jan 10, 2016
  4. wiiNinja

wiiNinja GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2009
    United States
    I bought this Wifi adapter for my Rasberry Pi 2: http://www.spillmonkey.com/?page_id=84
    Using the latest SpillPass-Pi2 image from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyuywy7ai8evk64/SpillPass-Pi2_v2.1.zip?dl=0

But after booting, I run "iwconfig" only to see this:

# iwconfig
    br0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

Seems that the Rasberry Pi2 may not have recognized the USB Wifi dongle. So I plugged this dongle into a Ubuntu laptop, and the laptop recognized it right away.
    Has anyone seen this issue? This is a piece of hardware that is recommended, so I don't know why it is not working.
    I do have a 2A power supply for this RasberryPi2.

Thanks for any lead.

5. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Yup, just flash and it's all set up. Well, you'll have to As a warning, the flash will create a partition that is fairly small in size and you won't be able to use the rest of the space on your microsd card unless you format it. Basically, don't expect to use that microsd card for anything other than spillpass. I have a few microsd cards lying around with various OSes on them, one of them has pipass, another has emulators, another for streaming movies/tv shows, etc.

Also, be aware that it creates an access point that is not password protected. This is a requirement for streetpass to work. If you're in an apartment building or something, you can enable a MAC white-list, put your 3ds MAC addresses in there, and then only those 3ds can access it. That requires a bit more effort though.

A few things to check:
    -Make sure the ethernet cable is plugged in firmly (Your pi2 should have some blinking lights in the back to indicate it's getting internet)
    -Make sure the wifi adapter is plugged in firmly and is there when the pi2 starts.
    -make sure to unplug everything else from the usb except a keyboard/mouse (unless those are lit, then maybe unplug those too)

Test and see what lights up in the back. If you've got internet but your wifi dongle doesn't do anything, then we can go from there =]

Last edited by osaka35, Jan 10, 2016
    naddel81 likes this.
  6. wiiNinja

wiiNinja GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for responding.

I initially had HDMI, keyboard, mouse plugged in, but have already removed those after I thought that perhaps the power supply may be an issue. So now, I only have the Ethernet, power supply, and Wifi dongle plugged in.
    I am certain Ethernet is ok because I can ssh into the Pi (and can get to it via htttp). When I unplug and re-plug in the USB dongle, then run "dmesg | grep tail". I don't see any log at all. I tried all 4 USB ports on the Pi without any success. Here are a couple of images with the Pi running:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17-SCoYGSDegX5HxDaVcwuDW3Wl2yNv14rw/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EzMw77PvRUzv_pbTWbG4FH2JDEDrFHK5zg/view?usp=sharing

There is one red light that is lit, but I think it may just be the power indicator.

7. wiiNinja

wiiNinja GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2009
    United States
    So just to close out the issue I had: It turned out to be an issue with the Wifi dongle. For some reason it would not work with my Pi2. I ended up purchasing this dongle instead: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231761506938.
    Now works great.

8. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    What's the point?

9. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Hello. Does this work with Raspberry pi 3?
    I just got the raspberry pi 3, if it doesn't work, I was wondering if you could make it work with the built in wifi.

10. JackyD
    OP

JackyD Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2006
    United States
    It is requiring a decent re-write but I have a pi3 and I am working on it....
    It will indeed work :)

Maximilious and sweis12 like this.
  11. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Thanks for the quick reply :)! Looking forward for a release.
    I could never get it to work on my pi2 because my Wifi adapter wasn't compatible.

Maximilious likes this.
  12. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Same here. I tried modifying the files to point to the correct driver, but I still couldn't get it to work because they would re-write with the incorrect driver type/location. This was probably a year ago now so pardon if I'm not specific enough for anyone.

13. JackyD
    OP

JackyD Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2006
    United States
    Max, I chose the two compatible chipsets not because I wanted to make it restrictive, but because open driver support for ARM based wifi drivers is extremely limited.
    The ones i made compatible with spillpass 1 and 2 were the most plentiful of any that would work on an arm based machine.

The Pi3's chipset has what I need though. It should make things much easier once Im done (but its requiring more work than I thought).

14. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Yeah, it's no problem, I had this adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315091) laying around and didn't want to shell out more for one with a supported driver. Although this one would work, but then the driver would switch back to the default and I couldn't get it to stick for some reason. Either way, glad to see you're still supporting this and I may pick up a Pi3 once you get everything ported over.

15. snf512

snf512 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2016
    hallo i got problem with my spillpass pi 2

http://up.harajgulf.com/do.php?img=689644

there is no ip address anymore in my spillpass screen
    there usied to be ip there .

my spillpass used to work just fine form the day i got it

about 2 days ago i am not gitting any Streetpass and i cant connect my smartphone to it

i am using the CanaKit WiFi Adapter by the way

does anyone know how to solution the problem?

16. snf512

snf512 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2016
    i just found out the problem

the Network wire was the problem lol

i just changed it and my spillpass its working again

logg and DjoeN like this.
  17. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Not trying to be rude, but how's the progress on the version for pi 3?

18. 3DSBurg

3DSBurg Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2017
    United States
    Hey there! Any luck getting it to work on the Pi3 with built-in Wifi?

19. LeafAce

LeafAce Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2017
    United States
    I know this is very old, but is there something similar to this to send off signals to a ds to play demos? You know the discontinued Nintendo Channel on the Wii let you play demos on the ds? Something just like that but for the raspberry pi or a homebrew app on the wii.

sweis12 likes this.
  20. LeafAce

LeafAce Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2017
    United States
    I thought I'd take the opportunity to make this comment the 200th on this thread.