Misc SpillPass for Raspberry Pi v1.6

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry just to confirm - I'll be OK with spillpass' pre-baked image using a model B (not B+) and an RT5370 USB?
I don't think so. SpillPass 1.6 only supports RT3070. I'm not sure that RT5370 is supported in Spillpass 2, you'd have to ask Jack (he's in IRC Efnet #3ds).

If you don't already have a wifi usb adapter, buy one of the ones from the spillpass hardware page. http://www.spillmonkey.com/?page_id=84

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not all Belkin N150 usb adapters are compatible with spillpass. The newer ones use a different chipset, I think the "F9" is the bad part, you need like "F7" or lower, IIRC. I'm not well versed with this, but "failed to initialize [the network] driver" does sound like an adapter mismatch. Spillpass is plug and play, so the wifi chipset is pretty much the only thing that can go wrong if you've made it to the script. I guess it's possible that the adapter isn't getting enough power to turn on, but I doubt it.

I don't know what Jack has planned as far as chipset support in spillpass 2, but for now, return the adapter and get the protronix one.

Thank you. I purchased the Protronix USB adapter from Amazon and it's working like a charm! Thank you!

*goes back to his new streetpasses*

Incredibob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got this working last night. I'm still waiting for my 3070 based wifi adapter to arrive, but wanted to report I got it working using this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WUSB54GC-Compact-Wireless-G-Adapter/dp/B000CRFI8A
It is a slightly more expensive option that the others (~$22 at time of posting), but we had a couple lying around at work.

It is a Ralink 2573 chip, so other adapters based on that may work as well if 3070's become too scarce.

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
May I ask how is it going on SpillPass-Pi2 ? It's been a long time since we got news of you both :P
Well, needless to say, it's long overdue. I haven't worked on it in a few weeks; I'm just doing the web interface, and that's about done, I should finish it up, but there's no time right now. Jack is also putting it off afaik.

CreativeMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, needless to say, it's long overdue. I haven't worked on it in a few weeks; I'm just doing the web interface, and that's about done, I should finish it up, but there's no time right now. Jack is also putting it off afaik.

OK, I understand, everybody has other things to do IRL B-) Anyway, still good to see it hasn't been discontinued, just suspended for now.

Reactions: logg

Feldneger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Don't know if it's been posted yet but I wanted to let everyone know that I got it working with an ASUS dongle using the Realtek RTL8192CU chipset. All I had to do was change a line in /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf and /etc/hostapd/nintendozone.sh from driver=nl80211 to driver=rtl871xdrv and replace the hostapd binary as outlined in this blog post: http://blog.sip2serve.com/post/38010690418/raspberry-pi-access-point-using-rtl8192cu

EDIT: Forget everything I said, Realtek chips apparently don't let you change their MAC. Nintendo Zone works, but no Streetpass.

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to alter the speed of getting passes? Are there guides on it?
There is a way, but it's really discouraged. Homepassing only works because two or more people are spoofing the same MAC at the same time. If you speed up the time it takes between MAC switches, then you're limiting the opportunity for other people to get your 3DS as a streetpass. If everyone set the time between MAC switching to a really low value (for example, 60 seconds), then there would be less streetpasses overall.

The default time of 5 minutes per MAC switch allows you between 6 to 10 streetpasses every 5 minutes, which is about how long it takes to use them up, so there's not really any point in changing the value. If you're not getting streetpasses every 5 minutes, I've found it works better when the lid is closed.

Reactions: bkifft

Brodius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose you're right. It's just painful getting multiple hits in Streetpass Plaza for every green flashing light, but only ever getting 1 pass for every other game I use for every flashing green light.

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose you're right. It's just painful getting multiple hits in Streetpass Plaza for every green flashing light, but only ever getting 1 pass for every other game I use for every flashing green light.
I think that's based on however many people of the ones that you encounter have streetpass enabled for that game. It works really well for popular games, but games that fewer people have, less streetpasses.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah i had in no time 99 streetpasses in Puzzle & Dragons Z, while for now Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan takes more then a month to get to 99 streetpass hits
But spillpass v1.6 still works great :), My question however: is there an easy way to give the pi a fixed ip in my network?

Brodius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that's based on however many people of the ones that you encounter have streetpass enabled for that game. It works really well for popular games, but games that fewer people have, less streetpasses.

Huh, I would have thought games like Pokemon Shuffle and Final Fantasy Curtain Call would have been more popular...

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i had in no time 99 streetpasses in Puzzle & Dragons Z, while for now Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan takes more then a month to get to 99 streetpass hits
But spillpass v1.6 still works great :), My question however: is there an easy way to give the pi a fixed ip in my network?
The easiest way is from router settings, but I know it's possible to do it client side too. I'll ask Jack if that's something he's interested in putting in 2.0.

Huh, I would have thought games like Pokemon Shuffle and Final Fantasy Curtain Call would have been more popular...
Yeah, you would think Pokemon Shuffle would be more popular, but I guess not many people enabled streetpass for it. I get tonnes of streetpasses for Mario Kart 7, Fantasy Life, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Tetris.

Brodius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The easiest way is from router settings, but I know it's possible to do it client side too. I'll ask Jack if that's something he's interested in putting in 2.0.

Yeah, you would think Pokemon Shuffle would be more popular, but I guess not many people enabled streetpass for it. I get tonnes of streetpasses for Mario Kart 7, Fantasy Life, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Tetris.

I actually added as many streetpass games as I could last night to fill up the max amount of games you can have, and literally every game only gave me one pass per green flash; even games like Smash and the Mario game you mentioned getting tonnes of passes for.

Have you edited your spillpass to have more MAC addresses or something? I haven't edited mine at all.

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually added as many streetpass games as I could last night to fill up the max amount of games you can have, and literally every game only gave me one pass per green flash; even games like Smash and the Mario game you mentioned getting tonnes of passes for.

Have you edited your spillpass to have more MAC addresses or something? I haven't edited mine at all.

Nope.

yodamerlin

Bok bok.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What's the ssid that this is using. I want to know whether the sd card I have contains spill pass. The ssid it's emitting is "attwifi"

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hi

A Mac Address filter (that you would add your 3DS mac too) can also be created to maintain Nintendo Zone Compatibility while locking down the hotspot without WPA. These processes may be covered in a later update.

do you have news about that ? i really need to enable mac address filter, or on my building everyone will try to connect and suck my internet ....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeaZWBrG__s