Hacking Official [Source Release] ReiNand CFW

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so on my usa n3ds in 9.5 emunand booted into reinand i was playin zelda oot 3d via cia. The game froze several times and they were replicable. if i played the sun song as an adult and went into the house in kakariko with the dude thats sleeping it would go to a black sceen but the music would continue. the home menu button wouldnt bring up home menu and i would be forced to hard reset. I did this 3 times. also in the spirit temple right after getting the mirror shield theres a key youre suppose to get. the game would freeze when opening that chest. i had to switch to gateway emunand which worked no problem. just a heads up if it matters or if anyone cares. to be careful. i lost all of my water temple progress after doing the sun song and going into that house and having it all freeze :P

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
so on my usa n3ds in 9.5 emunand booted into reinand i was playin zelda oot 3d via cia. The game froze several times and they were replicable. if i played the sun song as an adult and went into the house in kakariko with the dude thats sleeping it would go to a black sceen but the music would continue. the home menu button wouldnt bring up home menu and i would be forced to hard reset. I did this 3 times. also in the spirit temple right after getting the mirror shield theres a key youre suppose to get. the game would freeze when opening that chest. i had to switch to gateway emunand which worked no problem. just a heads up if it matters or if anyone cares. to be careful. i lost all of my water temple progress after doing the sun song and going into that house and having it all freeze :P
I find it hard to believe that the cfw would cause that to happen since it doesnt even touch anything related to games in any which way, shape or form. Only thing I could possibly think is a bizarre bug happening with the arm9 thread (that is always running in the background) or a bad cia/3ds.

chewdiggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a N3DS on 9.0, to install MSET in the guide it says to change to "Reinand N3DS 4.x MSET" I do not have that option?

chewdiggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In the install ROP option I have ReiNand 1.0 4.X or ReiNand N3DS 9.X, no 4.X.
Is it safe to install the 9.x, I don't want to install it and break something indefinitely?

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
In the install ROP option I have ReiNand 1.0 4.X or ReiNand N3DS 9.X, no 4.X.
Is it safe to install the 9.x, I don't want to install it and break something indefinitely?
the n3ds 9.x is what you want if on a n3ds.. it uses the "4.x downgrade" rop, but with n3ds offsets. So that means you need to have installed the 4.x system settings on it (which i assume you did)

chewdiggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK. I follow now, thanks for your help, fingers crossed I'll get there eventually :D

Didn't seem to work. My N3DS just doesn't seem to want to boot into CFW without going through a hax.

Last edited by chewdiggy,

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I built a crude libkhax variant of Reinand's launcher (I basically took the latest commit of CakeBrah as of this post and modified it ever so slightly to load ReiNand.dat/ReiNand-sysnand.dat), and also rebuilt the dat file so it auto boots to emuNAND or sysNAND (use the appropriate zip). The emunand one will look for reinand.dat, and the sysnand one will look for reinand-sysnand.dat. The only difference is that sysNAND will..well, boot into sysNAND (if you're using an autoboot for themehax, make sure to hold a button after launching it so it doesn't get in a 'reboot loop' of sorts). Use these with either the homebrew launcher, or that new ctrbootmanager (I didn't have any luck at all with b5, but b2 seems to boot 100% for me on N3DS; your results may vary though). I also included all of the source code.

I probably could've checked for B being held to boot sysNAND without the splash screen/start, but meh, I got lazy and just decided to make two separate builds.

Usual disclaimer applies: I'm not responsible if you brick your sysnand or emunand doing silly things, and if you want to compile either build, you have to supply your own firmware.bin.

Edit 2: Put it back up, user error on my end, wasn't a bug.

This worked for me also, thank you !!

Reactions: daxtsu

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So i used @ChrisN8 excellent guide to install the auto boot of reinand and the excellent hack of @daxtsu to bypass the Start button push to enter emunand from power on, all seems well at the moment and i am very pleased with the results

I was wondering, obviously to achieve the above results (which is exactly what i wanted) i had to rename some files that were originally used to boot The Homebrew Channel

I don't want to change anything about the current autobooting setup i have but i would still like to use The Homebrew Channel without having to manually change boot file names etc.....

Is there a way to still load The Homebrew channel manually once the console is booted, perhaps from an instalable cia file OR an exploit that won't affect my current setup ?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is there a way to still load The Homebrew channel manually once the console is booted, perhaps from an instalable cia file OR an exploit that won't affect my current setup ?

You could try using the ctr boot manager over here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ctrbootmanager-3ds-boot-manager-loader-homemenuhax.398383/

I have a menu set up that lets me do a bunch of things (it defaults to #1 after 5 seconds):
1. Boot Reinand emunand
2. Boot Reinand sysnand
3. Boot decrypt9
4. Boot uncart (to dump a game card)
5. Boot the Homebrew Launcher

Then on my emuNAND I have albertoSONIC's Quick Reboot CIA installed, so I just run that when I want to run the HB Launcher.

For reference, here's how I'm using it (the boot manager itself is boot.3dsx):
Code:
// Boot menu configuration
boot_config =
{
    // Default timeout in secondes
    timeout = 5;

// if timeout = 0 (autoboot),
    // hold this key to enter the menu
    // keycode list : https://goo.gl/4XLDIL
    // recovery = 2; // SELECT

// Default boot entry
    default = 0;

// Boot menu entries (16 max)
    entries =
    (
        {
            title  = "reiNand emuNAND";
            path = "/3ds/ReiNand/ReiNand.3dsx";
        },
        {
            title  = "reiNand sysNAND"
            path = "/3ds/ReiNand-sys/ReiNand-sys.3dsx"
        },
        {
            title  = "Decrypt9";
            path = "/Decrypt9WIP.dat";
            offset = 0x12000;
        },
        {
            title  = "Dump Game Cartridge";
            path = "/uncart.bin";
            offset = 0x12000;
        },
        {
            title  = "Homebrew Menu";
            path = "/boot_hbl.3dsx";
        }
    );
};

If that's all too complicated, you could always use browserhax on your emunand to launch the homebrew menu/launcher whenever.

Last edited by daxtsu,

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You could try using the ctr boot manager over here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ctrbootmanager-3ds-boot-manager-loader-homemenuhax.398383/

I have a menu set up that lets me do a bunch of things (it defaults to #1 after 5 seconds):
1. Boot Reinand emunand
2. Boot Reinand sysnand
3. Boot decrypt9
4. Boot uncart (to dump a game card)
5. Boot the Homebrew Launcher

Then on my emuNAND I have albertoSONIC's Quick Reboot CIA installed, so I just run that when I want to run the HB Launcher.

For reference, here's how I'm using it (the boot manager itself is boot.3dsx):
Code:
// Boot menu configuration
boot_config =
{
    // Default timeout in secondes
    timeout = 5;

// if timeout = 0 (autoboot),
    // hold this key to enter the menu
    // keycode list : https://goo.gl/4XLDIL
    // recovery = 2; // SELECT

// Default boot entry
    default = 0;

// Boot menu entries (16 max)
    entries =
    (
        {
            title  = "reiNand emuNAND";
            path = "/3ds/ReiNand/ReiNand.3dsx";
        },
        {
            title  = "reiNand sysNAND"
            path = "/3ds/ReiNand-sys/ReiNand-sys.3dsx"
        },
        {
            title  = "Decrypt9";
            path = "/Decrypt9WIP.dat";
            offset = 0x12000;
        },
        {
            title  = "Dump Game Cartridge";
            path = "/uncart.bin";
            offset = 0x12000;
        },
        {
            title  = "Homebrew Menu";
            path = "/boot_hbl.3dsx";
        }
    );
};

If that's all too complicated, you could always use browserhax on your emunand to launch the homebrew menu/launcher whenever.

Wow that is seriously impressive stuff, thank you @daxtsu it seems you have the perfect setup there

I will head over to that link now and have a good read and see if i feel confident enough to try it

Very quick question for you, if i want to access Reinand sysnand under my current setup is this still possible ?

Obviously i currently boot directly to reinand emuNAND, is there a button press while booting that will take me there or something i can do while in emuNAND or is it now not possible because of the way i have things setup ?

I am assuming i only need reinand sysnand to install things like devmenu.cia or fbi.cia to sysnand ?

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Dean_

This bit.... "sysnand mode with sig checks disabled, using NAND firm0 [Start + B at menu]"

I cant do the Start @+ B at menu because i set up the cold boot (autoboot) and removed the splash screen

No way back now i suppose without changing everything which i am very unkeen to do as it took a lot of work and head stress lol

I cant even get the webhax working now because i renamed all the files to autoboot reinand, so cant find a simple way to install devmenu.cia in sysnand

I will have to live with it i guess

night_hawk

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@daxtsu so in your boot.cfg you have the emunand to autoload, what about the other entries? I mean, for example, to access decrypt9 or uncart, what button you have to press while booting?

Reactions: peteruk

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

If you're using the boot manager and have the menu set up like I do, just pick sysNAND and hold down a button so it actually boots into it (if you're using an auto-booting themehax, you need to hold a button down so it doesn't try to boot themehax on top of Reinand sysNAND). But at any rate, if you still have your Gateway, just boot into Gateway sysNAND mode one last time and use a .3ds version of FBI or DevMenu to install DevMenu (or FBI) to your sysNAND.

@daxtsu so in your boot.cfg you have the emunand to autoload, what about the other entries? I mean, for example, to access decrypt9 or uncart, what button you have to press while booting?

I just press up or down on the D-pad to stop the boot manager from auto-booting emuNAND, then press A to start uncart or whatever else I want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill