Hacking Official [Source Release] ReiNand CFW

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've tested 3 brands of 128gb microsd and didn't experience any "lag", it just takes longer to boot to the homescreen... Once the 3ds is loaded, everything works great

In fairness I did say others I had spoken to had no complaints, perhaps I was just unlucky or my expectations were too high

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing it for real, I have seen some people saying that 64k is better for read speed, others saying that the 32k(default) is enough, etc. I have seen some sightly improvements changing it to 64k, why?

I am genuinely very interested and intrigued tbh mate, I have always stuck with 32k based on various thing's I had read, you have given me an idea of what i will do tomorrow afternoon with my time now, try out a 64k formatted card

Thanks for the info Mat :)

Reactions: matpower

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about upgrading to 64 GB as I have 32, if I do I'll get the Samsung you mentioned, as it's cheap on Amazon. Thanks :)
Well nowadays it's all about avoiding knockoffs. I'm of the opinion personally that sandisk makes the best micro SD cards in market. That's based on my personal experience and what people recommend on XDA. I also recommend buying from Amazon. Amazon is an authorized distributor of sandisk cards; they are securing the cards they sell direct from sandisk. Consequently, the policy for customer care for these cards is amazing. I have bought I think about 7 128 micro SD sandisk cards from Amazon, not one has given me a problem, had them for a couple of years now.

Also, 12 sec boot for a 128 micro SD card I thing is perfect! I care more about boot dependability.

Last edited by democracy,

Mthodmn101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am genuinely very interested and intrigued tbh mate, I have always stuck with 32k based on various thing's I had read, you have given me an idea of what i will do tomorrow afternoon with my time now, try out a 64k formatted card

Thanks for the info Mat :)

I didnt notice any differences in performance with 128gb 32vs64 clusters, but maybe your results will vary.

alex61194

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I know it's just a slight difference, but it's there nevertheless :D I've known about this ever since DS flashcarts. At that time, latency was really important to not make problematic games (like Castlevania) lag. The intro of Castlevania was actually a benchmark for the cart. Sandisk ones had terrible performance in this regard (not sure if they improved since then), while you could play everything on Kingston carts. I think the GBAtemp wiki has an old list with 1GB/2GB carts and their latency.
if you play pokemon, in black and white 2, if you had a class 2 sd the intro get black screen and the sound get wierd, i had to suffer that for years until i could have a class 10 sd

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I was thinking about upgrading to 64 GB as I have 32, if I do I'll get the Samsung you mentioned, as it's cheap on Amazon. Thanks :)
i just bougth the 32gb version i love the desing of that micro sd

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those talking about SD cluster size. It's true, it improves boot time. I have a 64GB Samsung EVO SD card. I was never able to get A9LH+CFW to boot faster than 10 seconds.

@daxtsu recommended me to change the cluster size to 64KB. It actually helped! A9LH+CFW can now boot as fast as 7 seconds.
Hey, that may sound small but it's 3 seconds I'm saving each time I boot my n3DS.

Ifury

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: peteruk

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those talking about SD cluster size. It's true, it improves boot time. I have a 64GB Samsung EVO SD card. I was never able to get A9LH+CFW to boot faster than 10 seconds.

@daxtsu recommended me to change the cluster size to 64KB. It actually helped! A9LH+CFW can now boot as fast as 7 seconds.
Hey, that may sound small but it's 3 seconds I'm saving each time I boot my n3DS.
Bugger, that a 7 hr job... Might skip doing this in light of preserving the write life of my cards.

Do you still have an emunand partition? .

Last edited by democracy,
Reactions: peteruk

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bugger, that a 7 hr job... Might skip doing this in light of preserving the write life of my cards.

Do you still have an emunand partition? .
Nah, I deleted it. I have no real reason to have one anymore.
Besides, if I ever do need one, it's not that hard to inject one again.

Reactions: democracy

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, just a very quick update regarding read speeds that we discussed last night

Previously using a Sandisk 64gb extreme pro with 32k i was getting approx 8.6 seconds

I did a full format of the card using GUI Format with 64k and it now boots in 7.4 seconds

So my experience is very positive :)

Sno0t

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Damn, I have a boot time of like 20 secs..
Using a9lh, on rei 3.4 emuNAND.
Could this be due to my SD having 32k cluster?
Could this be due to the 'outdated' rei version?
Or just because i have a generally slow SD?
20 secs is quite a bit more than other ppl experience...
Any help appreciated :)

ps: using the Patriot LX Series microSDXC 128GB class 10 Card...70 mb/s too slow?

Reactions: Margarine67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast