Soundhax in 11.16.0-49 in 2023?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm currently trying to reinstall CFW after accidentally uninstalling it, and the BannerBomb3 method doesn't work for me, nor does PicHaxx. I'm thinking of Soundhax, which hasn't been updated to support 11.16.0-49. Could someone make a Soundhax website to support 11.16.0-49? https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-reinstall-b9s-without-ntrboot.627653
This is not a question of making a website. It is a question of finding another vulnerability in 3DS Sound.
The sound application had an exploitable bug. Thanks to this a fake audio file could be produced that would allow us to gain arbitrary code execution in ARM11 userland – which means simple homebrew access. The sound app would be replaced by the Homebrew Launcher when trying to play the fake file (from there on other exploits could be used in a chain to gain highest privileges).
Thanks to Universal Otherapp payload this has been simplified in a way that trying to play the fake audio file results in an automatic execution of an exploit chain ultimately loading SafeB9SInstaller.

That is all nice and still one of the most convenient entry points into an unmodified 2|3DS console on old firmware version. With the 11.4.0-37 update Nintendo provided a new version of the sound app which isn't vulnerable to that exploit anymore.
========

I've no idea why you created an additional thread now without even answering my question: What went wrong with PicHaxx? Why didn't it work?

If you have access to another 2|3DS already having CFW, you can also give this a try:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(kartdlphax)

For the case you can't get any of the software methods to work, get a compatible R4.
IF ALL
ELSE FAILS
USE FIRE NTRBOOT.
usefire-png.342759

Reactions: The Catboy

J-Will

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not a question of making a website. It is a question of finding another vulnerability in 3DS Sound.
The sound application had an exploitable bug. Thanks to this a fake audio file could be produced that would allow us to gain arbitrary code execution in ARM11 userland – which means simple homebrew access. The sound app would be replaced by the Homebrew Launcher when trying to play the fake file (from there on other exploits could be used in a chain to gain highest privileges).
Thanks to Universal Otherapp payload this has been simplified in a way that trying to play the fake audio file results in an automatic execution of an exploit chain ultimately loading SafeB9SInstaller.

That is all nice and still one of the most convenient entry points into an unmodified 2|3DS console on old firmware version. With the 11.4.0-37 update Nintendo provided a new version of the sound app which isn't vulnerable to that exploit anymore.
========

I've no idea why you created an additional thread now without even answering my question: What went wrong with PicHaxx? Why didn't it work?

If you have access to another 2|3DS already having CFW, you can also give this a try:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(kartdlphax)

For the case you can't get any of the software methods to work, get a compatible R4.

usefire-png.342759
I put my moveable.sed into the PicHaxx injector, got the 00000001.sav, and i put it into the 0017c100/data folder, booted the game, My 3DS shows a White and Red Screen, and then shows an error has occurred, forcing the software to close. otherapp.bin was in the root too. I don't have another 2DS or 3DS, but my cousin has a 3DS, but he can't find it. If he does find it, i'll ask him to temporaily give me the 3ds so i can download MK7 on it if it doesn't have it already, and i'll do the kartdlphax process to reinstall CFW on my 3DS, and then i'll give it back to him once im done reinstalling CFW.

I do have a 2DS, but it makes the brick sound and turns off when turning on. If i can fix my 2DS, i can reinstall CFW on my 3DS.

I even asked my mom to buy this thing https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=574 and my mom said no. I said to my mom that it installs B9S to the 3DS via NTRBoot and still said no. I'll let you know if everything goes as planned.

• Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please go through this part
https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting#homebrew-launcher-pichaxx
Try multiple SD cards.

Ultimately there can be something wrong with the software making pure software methods of installing B9S harder to impossible.

We are running in circles here.
Try this → I don't have […] → Get that → Impossible because of […] → And so on.
It reminds me of [Wikipedia] There's a Hole in My Bucket

When software methods fail there is just: Borrow/buy a compatible R4.

At least you didn't do something like this. That was an eternal struggle of getting an R4. With the 2|3DS being out of production for quite some time it should be pretty obvious that the little money for repairing software damage with an R4 is a good investment.
Regarding family problems/decisions with underage people I can't obviously do much in this regard. If I had a child telling me (s)he (partially) messed up a console, I would obviously not be happy with that, but try to make the best out of the situation – which is repairing the damage and see it as part of education.
If the 3DS is still working normally for the most, not doing/buying anything is an understandable point of view for a mother as well.

Good luck with either option!

Reactions: Aluiscard

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@J-Will

Send me a message. If you are US based and your parents are agreeable I would like to send you my spare bootntr DS flash card and 4Gb SD card needed to make it work. I require no payment, not even for shipping.

The card can only be used for bootntr installation. It cannot be flashed back to a standard DS flashcard.

Since you seem hell-bent on doing things without properly understanding the risks, I think you could benefit from it more than I can. Let’s get this 3DS fixed. And when you don’t need the bootntr card, perhaps one day you could also offer this for someone else. Just a suggestion.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Edit: Please do not just say “yes, send me it please” without first talking this over with your parents or guardians. As a parent, I’d be really mad if my kid gave out our address to some random internet person. I can’t imagine they would feel any different.

Last edited by rcpd,
Reactions: Hayato213

J-Will

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please go through this part
https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting#homebrew-launcher-pichaxx
Try multiple SD cards.

Ultimately there can be something wrong with the software making pure software methods of installing B9S harder to impossible.

We are running in circles here.
Try this → I don't have […] → Get that → Impossible because of […] → And so on.
It reminds me of [Wikipedia] There's a Hole in My Bucket

When software methods fail there is just: Borrow/buy a compatible R4.

At least you didn't do something like this. That was an eternal struggle of getting an R4. With the 2|3DS being out of production for quite some time it should be pretty obvious that the little money for repairing software damage with an R4 is a good investment.
Regarding family problems/decisions with underage people I can't obviously do much in this regard. If I had a child telling me (s)he (partially) messed up a console, I would obviously not be happy with that, but try to make the best out of the situation – which is repairing the damage and see it as part of education.
If the 3DS is still working normally for the most, not doing/buying anything is an understandable point of view for a mother as well.

Good luck with either option!
I managed to reinstall B9S via PicHaxx. The problem was my otherapp.bin file was universal, and therefore didn't boot the homebrew launcher. I used otherappswithcfgs and it worked.
Post automatically merged:

@J-Will

Send me a message. If you are US based and your parents are agreeable I would like to send you my spare bootntr DS flash card and 4Gb SD card needed to make it work. I require no payment, not even for shipping.

The card can only be used for bootntr installation. It cannot be flashed back to a standard DS flashcard.

Since you seem hell-bent on doing things without properly understanding the risks, I think you could benefit from it more than I can. Let’s get this 3DS fixed. And when you don’t need the bootntr card, perhaps one day you could also offer this for someone else. Just a suggestion.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Edit: Please do not just say “yes, send me it please” without first talking this over with your parents or guardians. As a parent, I’d be really mad if my kid gave out our address to some random internet person. I can’t imagine they would feel any different.
I managed to reinstall B9S via PicHaxx. The problem was my otherapp.bin file was universal, and therefore didn't boot the homebrew launcher. I used otherappswithcfgs and it worked.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__