Sony to remove previously purchased content from Discovery from Playstation user libraries

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Sony announced that content from Discovery will be removed from Playstation by December 31st. This will include not only the removal from store listings but user account access as well, meaning that even if you paid for the content, you will lose access to it.

You can see all content to be removed on their announcement page, ranging from a wide variety of shows, from MythBusters to Miami Ink.

This should be a reminder that in modern technology, you own nothing digitally except a limited license, have very limited rights to it and are at the mercy of the companies you buy from, unless legislation is made to protect you in that regard.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
*Yarr*

Just sayin'

But seriously, if you want to own something, buy the physical version. That goes for games consoles too, buy the disk version of the console and buy the disk games, or else this can happen with everything you 'own'.

• Love
Reactions: eternal

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
buy the disk games, or else this can happen with everything you 'own'.
that's IF they are available it's getting more and more rare to get the damn discs now. for instance i wanted to get the disc version of my time at sandrock they did a disc version of portia but nah this time too fucking lazy to print a disc!

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
And that's why I prefer above all things physical games that have all of its content on the media (cartridge, CD, DVD, etc.).

Those digital download key disks are also part of the equation of you own nothing but a code that entitles you to download content from the owner and use it as long as the owner want you to, it really sucks.

But even with all those caveats people/users/"gamers" keep buying clouds in the air.

Reactions: CoolMe

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I refuse to buy things from the eshop, unless a physical copy doesn't exist. Although my Steam library is quite large nowadays, I'll always prefer buying from GoG. I'm sure a good chunk of my Steam library is through Humble Bundle codes.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and mrdude

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
There's probably people who do, but you're missing the point that digital format can't be trusted.

Unless it has no DRM or it's piracy.
I used to buy games on xbox gold in the 360 days, then my console got banned so I couldn't play those games online anymore. Ever since then I stopped buying downloaded games and would only buy second hand dvd/blueray ones from game. I do have some original PC/PS1/PS2/PSP/PS3/PSVita games and some OG xbox/360 games and 1 switch game - but I stopped buying games a few years ago now and I only pirate for the exact reason that most new games need online activation/patches and extra downloads to work properly and many are not even at a proper release state when released so you are forced to go online to get a patch. The fact that these companies servers go ofline so often and they can pull your paid content at any point doesn't inspire me to part with my money anymore so I will stick to piracy from now on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...