emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like the number of people here who illustrate zero business knowledge.

Business to GBAtempers:
  1. Losing money and you're Nintendo? It's a "transitional period"
  2. Losing money and you're not Nintendo? You're doing a shit job!

Well maybe because for a long time it was
  1. Losing money and you're Nintendo? DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!
  2. Losing money and you're not Nintendo? *Looks the other way,

I think its the GBAtemp spectacles syndrome of double standards.

Another example is the the "complaining about CoD being rehashed whilst buying the new Pokemon game at release."

Reactions: 6 people

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A hack might increase hardware sales for a short while but then devs might leave since the device isn't that secure or the hack allows pirating. So a hack will hurt them in the long run but might cause a increase in hardware sales for a while which isn't all to good. Also they probably don't make much money or lose money with every system sold not to mention they haven't covered their R&D costs yet so it is a major loss.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, what is it with people thinking a hack would significantly increase hardware sales? You do realize the people who would buy a system specifically for a hack are actually a rather small minority?

Hacks won't help for shit on sales, especially when it comes down to the brunt of their money coming from software. And if you're buying it so it can be hacked, odds are you're either not buying or pirating games.

Sales increases come from doing things that normal consumers want, not from what a minor minority want.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's funny how people came to conclusion that Sony is losing money over their PS Vita or PS3 sales, well you people are wrong. PS3 is doing well even though I believe they're selling it at loss(prove me wrong if otherwise) however, the Vita currently isn't doing so well, but still that doesn't mean they're losing money from the video gaming side as you can see their Sony TVs are not selling well and they're in deep shit over that problem also, let's not forget that they also make MP3 players and tablets etc...

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
compared to the company that only once or twice brought in losses at all in its... dunno, 100 years of existence, this is quite bad. i mean, look at sony, they are big and they bring in losses time and time again, theres not much arguing that either being big is a problem in general, or they just dont do it right atm

also. obviously they lose money on the vita and i guess even still on the ps3 sales. that is the hardware. they need games sold to make those losses go away.
but also obviously, thats not where they make the giant losses atm

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe that's because Nintendo has never done this bad.

Just saying.

Nintendo is also not nearly as large of a company as Sony.

Depends on how you define "large", if your going by the dollar value of the company which is the stick most people would use since companies are you know kinda into that whole money thing. Nintendo is actually the larger company at this point in time.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny how people came to conclusion that Sony is losing money over their PS Vita or PS3 sales, well you people are wrong. PS3 is doing well even though I believe they're selling it at loss(prove me wrong if otherwise) however, the Vita currently isn't doing so well, but still that doesn't mean they're losing money from the video gaming side as you can see their Sony TVs are not selling well and they're in deep shit over that problem also, let's not forget that they also make MP3 players and tablets etc...

Sony is the one reporting the multi billion dollar loss on its video game division.... So unless Sony is lying I believe you are the one who is mistaken.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on how you define "large", if your going by the dollar value of the company which is the stick most people would use since companies are you know kinda into that whole money thing. Nintendo is actually the larger company at this point in time.

I was talking about how Sony manages a ton of divisions (TVs, miscellaneous electronics, music, movies, games, etc) while Nintendo only manages games. So Sony can take a lot of hits in a lot of different areas while if Nintendo is doing poorly, it's because of their one (and only) area.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I'm presuming Guild is talking about the number of different sectors, Sony are engaged in. Sony have their fingers is more pies than Nintendo. Hence why attention is paid towards different divisions in Sony.

Reactions: 1 person

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Sony can use the good-performing sectors to hold up the sectors doing poorly. This is something Nintendo can't do because they only have one sector. Unfortunately, this can lead to wasted allocation of resources if those poor-performing sectors stay and continue to do poorly. It becomes dependent on other sectors to keep itself afloat.

D

Deleted_171835

Maybe that's because Nintendo has never done this bad.

Just saying.

Nintendo is also not nearly as large of a company as Sony.
SpiWt.png

updl3.png

Nintendo actually is the larger company.

Reactions: 4 people

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm presuming Guild is talking about the number of different sectors, Sony are engaged in. Sony have their fingers is more pies than Nintendo. Hence why attention is paid towards different divisions in Sony.

I do not think that the number of products a company makes is a valid way of measuring the size of a company, I mean a local restaurant makes probably 100 different dishes not counting the thousands of possible variations of them... But I would not say they are larger than Nintendo.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not think that the number of products a company makes is a valid way of measuring the size of a company, I mean a local restaurant makes probably 100 different dishes not counting the thousands of possible variations of them... But I would not say they are larger than Nintendo.

That's not a good metaphor at all. A restaurant makes a hundred different dishes but they're all food. Sony makes a hundred different products and they're not all TVs, or video games, or alarm clocks, or cell phones.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's not a good metaphor at all. A restaurant makes a hundred different dishes but they're all food. Sony makes a hundred different products and they're not all TVs, or video games, or alarm clocks, or cell phones.

A metaphor does not have to be perfect, just convey a concept. That being that making a bunch of stuff no matter how varied does not necessarily make you a large company, or conversely making just one product does not necessarily make you a small company.

If you would like I could pick a hundred different companies of varied sizes and with manufacturing of a dizzying array of products, but it wouldn't change anything. At the end of the day the bottom line is all that matters to a company and right now Sony would sell its mom to trade bottom lines with Nintendo or even better Microsoft.

If you don't like the restaurant metaphor lets take Microsoft, they do not make nearly as many products as Sony, Sony is the larger company?

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted +1