Sony releases official PS VR2 headset and controller teardown videos

ps vr teardown.png

The latest PlayStation hardware, the PS VR2, launches in a week and, in anticipation of its release, Sony has aired two teardown videos of the device. Each respective footage show an exclusive look at the headset and controller's innards and underlying technology as the respective teardown is performed by Takamasa Araki from the Mechanical Design team and Takeshi Igarashi from the Peripheral Design team. The videos start with a prominent "Do not try this at home" disclaimer as they are meant for informational purposes only.

You can view each video below:

:arrow: SOURCE 1, SOURCE 2

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
For me, PSVR is like an Atari 2600: I see people really having fun with it, but when I try, I get bored with the excess of simplicity.

PSVR 2 is more advanced, so it may allow more complex experiences to happen. Maybe it will get the ball rolling at last. We'll see...

Danster75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think Sony made the right decision going for a truly top quality device instead of entry- to midlevel VR for maybe 200 bucks less. Of course I would also have liked a lower price but it's already amazing that the VR2 apparently surpasses top end PCVR headsets costing far more, not forgetting you'll be needing a chunky PC to use it properly costing far, far more then a PS5 and VR2. Sony should be commended for making this possible in a cheap and streamlined, user friendly fashion.
Also, because every PS5/VR2 combo has the same features, developers will be more likely to effecively using or optimizing their games to use these.

Regarding the teardown; it looks very well engineered and I'm impressed. Also a good sign that the cable can be disconnected without too much fuss, speaking as someone who does console repairs. Cables for it will most likely not be supplied by Sony but I'm betting we'll bee seeing them on AliExpress eventually, maybe even longer ones.

I have no illusion that VR will replace flat gaming but for me it'll most likely be a very nice addition even if the library almost certainly won't be as impressive. Maybe some triple A titles will somehow incorperate a VR mode even if it is playing in VR 3rd person.

I hope to receive my unit this Wednesday so I can experience something truly nextgen! GT7, RE8 and CotM are already in place.

Last edited by Danster75,

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't buy VR until 2030 when consoles will be fully VR consoles rather than just the stupid VR systems that we got nowadays and the mobile like games they come with

Reactions: Augusto101

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
Sony deserve some kudos for being transparent about their hardware releases, you rarely see a manufacturer disassemble their hardware themselves let alone show you every step of the disassembly they have been doing this since the ps4 pro launch, really helps with diy repairs, smartphone companies can learn a thing or two from Sony here, as for the price of the device, I think it is deserved considering the amount of engineering that goes into producing high quality VR headsets I would say PSVR2 is very well priced, especially given the spec sheet and the pre-release performance we've seen so far.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait for the dust to settle and if nobody gone home then buy one. Maybe everybody might have gone home before the dust settle. You never know.

Anybody remember 3D on TV screen? Is there even one left standing now?

I have maybe watch three 3D movie on my 3D TV screen made by Sony

Imagine playing 3 VR game on this thing

Last edited by TomSwitch,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this thing we're compatible with steam, maybe I'd have a reason to try it.

The original ps VR was decidedly low res, but it was also the most responsive headset I've tried. But since it wouldn't work on PC, I have no reason to get it.

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Dont be
Sony deserve some kudos for being transparent about their hardware releases, you rarely see a manufacturer disassemble their hardware themselves let alone show you every step of the disassembly they have been doing this since the ps4 pro launch, really helps with diy repairs, smartphone companies can learn a thing or two from Sony here, as for the price of the device, I think it is deserved considering the amount of engineering that goes into producing high quality VR headsets I would say PSVR2 is very well priced, especially given the spec sheet and the pre-release performance we've seen so far.
Dont be quick in judging its fair price,in my opinion sony did scam us with this Headset,why? Let me explain .
This headset is not a standalone headset meaning it just transmit the images from the PS5 to the VR ,so theres no fancy cpu and i dont think they use co-processors in it.And if thats the case they i bet you the gaming resolution will either be:
-Halved and retain details or effects and assets will get a hit and will get ps4 pro level of details.

langston

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont be

Dont be quick in judging its fair price,in my opinion sony did scam us with this Headset,why? Let me explain .
This headset is not a standalone headset meaning it just transmit the images from the PS5 to the VR ,so theres no fancy cpu and i dont think they use co-processors in it.And if thats the case they i bet you the gaming resolution will either be:
-Halved and retain details or effects and assets will get a hit and will get ps4 pro level of details.
No

Danster75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dont be

It seems it does not need a fancy cpu in it.

From all the impressions I've seen and read both from amateurs and VR veterans the overall experience is better then high end PCVR setups costing -far- more.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait for the dust to settle and if nobody gone home then buy one. Maybe everybody might have gone home before the dust settle. You never know.

Anybody remember 3D on TV screen? Is there even one left standing now?

I have maybe watch three 3D movie on my 3D TV screen made by Sony

Imagine playing 3 VR game on this thing
I still have one. Don't remember how many 3D movies I have though. Maybe 2. I even fried it once using a cheap Y adapter on my WiiU for an external HDD, but I ordered a new board and repaired it for less than $100. Still ticking today.

But I enjoy downloading 3d movies and watching them in my Quest2, since my wife doesn't care for 3d movies much.

Reactions: KiiWii

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i bet you the gaming resolution will either be:
Have you even bothered to read the specs?
Sony has since confirmed that the PSVR 2 offers 4K resolution, HDR, a 110-degree field of view, foveated rendering, and frame rates of 90 to 120Hz

Reactions: KiiWii

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS VR2 is to PS5 as 3D is to 3DS

WOW this 3D very cool for like 5 minutes ( I still think it is cool and full of unrealized potential, didn't enjoy even one game in 3D though, only it's cool but it didn't add to the enjoyment for the games I played, I turn off the 3D when I play the game )

It's not about the money, it's the sadness looking at wasted potential, thinking that PS VR2 should be so much better if only ...

Oh the unbearable sadness of having a PS VR2 full of potential and can't do much with it. Keep thinking that tomorrow would be a better VR2 day will kill you if you allow it

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played