granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPk1HBNI6DQ​

Sega promised to post a teaser trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 2 today. That they did. However, there is no gameplay. There are a few teases of things to come however. Metal Sonic has been confirmed as an antagonist (hinted via connections to Sonic CD). Tails will also be involved in some ways, likely as a partner character similar to Sonic 2 (perhaps in playable form, we'll see).

Prior to this teaser, it had been rumored that Episode 2 would heavily improve the physics engine to be more like those for Classic Sonic in Generations. Also with the rumor came word of "less glossy" visuals. In an interview with Sega's Ken Balough (nice mustache btw), he confirmed that the game would indeed receive improved physics as well as visuals. We shall soon see what this means specifically. Many fans were turned off by the physics in Episode 1 (as has been a common complaint with Sonic games for most of the last decade). You can check the source below for the full interview.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 has a tentative release of simply "2012". In the logos, it has been confirmed that it will be coming via download to Xbox Live, Playstation Network, as well as the Android Market, iOS App Store, and even the Windows Phone. Unfortunately the game will not be hitting the Nintendo Wii. No logo for it was found at the end and Sega has confirmed it will not be coming to the Wii (for "reasons people have probably figure out"). No word on the 3DS or Wii U however. Wii U is releasing next year and so will Episode 2, so perhaps there's hope for that platform, and maybe even 3DS. Stay tuned for future news.

icon11.gif
Source (Interview)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once they've done with this they should do Sonic & Knuckles 2. Fuck it...do one called No Sonic, Just Knuckles and make it not suck this time.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bull shit, if I can't play it on my Wii I will be a sad panda. ;O;

The Wiimote feels the most natural to play Sonic games on current Gen consoles... at least to me.
I feel you there, but if you have a phone, you could perhaps use the Wiimote via bluetooth. Assuming there's a way to map the controls to physical ones in the phone versions that is. Some phones even allow you to hook them to a TV via HDMI. It would be really ridiculous if Nintendo platforms were ignored here, unless the game were garbage that is (which IS possible). Wonder if they'd port it to 3DS.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, in regards to the prior rumors about better physics and visuals, here's the original story-
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=168957

Basically it was rumored beforehand that the physics have been improved to where they're even better than Generations. And the visuals are described as "less glossy", whatever that means. Well at least we've got confirmation that they're working on the physics. Will be interesting to see how this handles.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will it still be "press one direction and press a button sometimes" or will it actually play like the old Sonic games like it was supposed to?

If not I hope they continue with the Generations line, they had levels that were more than that on that game but it would be nice to have some new ones.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damnit, SEGA. Don't announce that you're gonna give us something unless it's something. A teaser is nothing.

Here's an idea: next time, don't tell us in advance, just release a trailer. Surprise us. Something unexpected makes us happy, because it's not nothing, even if it's small like a teaser. Something small makes us ANGRY if you announce it and try to make us think it'll be good.

Reactions: 1 person

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will it still be "press one direction and press a button sometimes" or will it actually play like the old Sonic games like it was supposed to?

If not I hope they continue with the Generations line, they had levels that were more than that on that game but it would be nice to have some new ones.
Well that's more an issue with the level design. Not something that can be fixed via tweaking the game engine, it has to come from creativity instead. Though i agree, that's another issue i had with Episode 1.

I was pleasantly surprised with Generations. Not a perfect game, but the best Sonic game since Sonic Advance i'd say (IMO of course). And during that gap, i had moved onto fan games to satisfy my Sonic craves. Some are crappy of course, but there's a fair few around that really kicked some serious ass.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no WiiWare?
no Sonic CD, no Sonic 4 ep2 ... why? Nintendo= :shit:

(throws Wii out of the window.... hook up a Sega CD to his LCD)
yes... I have one

Reactions: 1 person

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is a title I won't be anticipating, but really, if they fix everything that was wrong with Sonic 4 episode one (which was everything), they'd be making it an entirely different game altogether.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well that's more an issue with the level design. Not something that can be fixed via tweaking the game engine, it has to come from creativity instead. Though i agree, that's another issue i had with Episode 1.

I was pleasantly surprised with Generations. Not a perfect game, but the best Sonic game since Sonic Advance i'd say (IMO of course). And during that gap, i had moved onto fan games to satisfy my Sonic craves. Some are crappy of course, but there's a fair few around that really kicked some serious ass.
Yeah the handhelds have really kept the Sonic line going up until Colours. Started with Neo Geo Pocket colour and ended with DS, some games were just pres one direction blah blah blah but still fun anyway.

I didn't mind the first part, it was entertaining enough but it wasn't what was expected.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kind of pathetic we all know is not going be good yet we still hope
After Colors and Generations, i've decided to give Sonic games a chance before writing them off as i had been prior to that. Colors was an upturn into decent Sonic territory, i'd even say it was pretty fun (IMO). Generations is what i'd call outright good. The series hasn't regained what i'd call excellent status, at least yet. But i now don't mind feeling a little hopeful. I say give it a chance at least, won't hurt anything really. At the VERY least wait until we've see how the game plays. :P

Nothing really pathetic, the series is slowly but surely starting to get better IMO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here