Hacking Homebrew Someone just told me HEN is not CFW

Wondermike

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Now i gotta know what the difference is, can someone explaine this in a way understandable for an idiot like me?

Is it right that no ps3 with ofw newer than 3.55 can get cfw, but only HEN?

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HEN = Homebrew Enabler
CFW = Custom Firmware

3.55 is specifically used to install CFW because it is a version with certain exploits. I can't remember what exactly it was, but I think it was because of level0 keys?

Reactions: Wondermike

Wondermike

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
HEN = Homebrew Enabler
CFW = Custom Firmware

3.55 is specifically used to install CFW because it is a version with certain exploits. I can't remember what exactly it was, but I think it was because of level0 keys?
Okay, so when running HEN i am still on the ofw but able to run homebrew.
And cfw is, as the name implys all new firmware.

So i need a really old ps3 that has not been updated in order to run real cfw?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just need an older firmware. There's now a way to install cfw on the latest firmware. You just need the base firmware to be 3.56 or lower. You need hfw for hen, which is hybrid firmware. Sony tried to block hen, unsuccessfully, so you need it to install the exploit.

Reactions: Wondermike

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so when running HEN i am still on the ofw but able to run homebrew.
And cfw is, as the name implys all new firmware.

So i need a really old ps3 that has not been updated in order to run real cfw?
CFW doesn't really mean "all new firmware", just that it's custom and different from stock. Most CFWs are just the stock firmware with custom patches applied and packaged neatly for end-users to install.

You can check with this list for a chart of PS3 models: https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models#Retail_Models

I recommend getting a PS3 slim 21XXX and 25XXXX because they use the smaller RSX (failed very often in older models - specifically the fat models). Not all 25XXX models are downgradable to 3.55, just early ones. I'm not sure on which ones, but I've heard early to mid 2010 models are 3.55 compatible and anything late in 2010 or 2011 are HEN only.

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Datecode

Wondermike

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
You just need an older firmware. There's now a way to install cfw on the latest firmware. You just need the base firmware to be 3.56 or lower. You need hfw for hen, which is hybrid firmware. Sony tried to block hen, unsuccessfully, so you need it to install the exploit.
Base firmware is the firmware it came with as new right?
Post automatically merged:

CFW doesn't really mean "all new firmware", just that it's custom and different from stock. Most CFWs are just the stock firmware with custom patches applied and packaged neatly for end-users to install.

You can check with this list for a chart of PS3 models: https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models#Retail_Models

I recommend getting a PS3 slim 21XXX and 25XXXX because they use the smaller RSX (failed very often in older models - specifically the fat models). Not all 25XXX models are downgradable to 3.55, just early ones. I'm not sure on which ones, but I've heard early to mid 2010 models are 3.55 compatible and anything late in 2010 or 2011 are HEN only.

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Datecode
Damn my ps3 slim has date code 1b, just when they became unhackable, i gotta look for an older one then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste