Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.areyougoingtostalkme.wtf
XP
Country
Japan
Hey there!

My PS3 Model is CECH-2504B (Slim Model) Version 3.65 and i have seen a Video on how to get a CFW on there. Just as a sidenote the Author pointed out that you can turn the PS3 into a DevKit. Would be cool but i think DevKits have more RAM so isnt it more a 'kind of' DevKit?

+

Are there any disadvantages if you compare it to regular CFW? I don't need it so much but if you can have it without any downsides why not?

Can you recommend a good Tutorial? The one i watched was this:

and he said that instead of using a CEX i can use PEX to give me Debug and Dev features but thats not acurate enough for me...Its a lot different than other Consoles,right?

There are PEX Versions for Overclocking,No Blue Ray Drive,No Bluetooth Board and such. Now i dont know if i should get the Version that makes my PS3 a DevKit and Overclockes + I can use it as a regular PS3 + A PS3 with CFW or if i should better stay away from it. Because if PEX has no downsides then why not...

Also i wonder if i can decide when to use Overclocking or not or if its always activated...

Last question is awkward but WTH its anonymous:P

My Internet Connection is very limited and SLOWaf. How many mbits is the Hack going to need? (didnt anticipate that,right?) I already have an official 4.90 Firmware downloaded

thanks if you can Help with anything:]

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
CEX (official operating system family for CECH console) = retail
DEX (official operating system family for DECH console) = debug
then you have SEX (demo, yes you read that right), GEX (arcade), and the fully featured developer units (DECR console) :)

PEX and D-PEX are the spiritual successors to Rebug's REX and D-REX, which are made up names for custom firmwares that combine CEX+DEX features, if your console currently has CEX cfw you can install REX/PEX over it directly

Separately from that you can convert CEX to DEX (with rebug and its toolbox: backup your eid_root_key, then "rewrite target id in flash", then install DEX/D-REX/D-PEX firmware) or viceversa, you will need to download and install at least 2 CFWs (so give or take 1 GB) but you don't gain much apart from bragging rights - the most interesting features are included in REX/PEX and the others are in hardware :)

...do a minverchk first to see if you have a metldr1 or 2 console, because the 2nd type does not support cfw yet!

Rocky_D

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Japan
CEX (official operating system family for CECH console) = retail
DEX (official operating system family for DECH console) = debug
then you have SEX (demo, yes you read that right), GEX (arcade), and the fully featured developer units (DECR console) :)

PEX and D-PEX are the spiritual successors to Rebug's REX and D-REX, which are made up names for custom firmwares that combine CEX+DEX features, if your console currently has CEX cfw you can install REX/PEX over it directly

Separately from that you can convert CEX to DEX (with rebug and its toolbox: backup your eid_root_key, then "rewrite target id in flash", then install DEX/D-REX/D-PEX firmware) or viceversa, you will need to download and install at least 2 CFWs (so give or take 1 GB) but you don't gain much apart from bragging rights - the most interesting features are included in REX/PEX and the others are in hardware :)

...do a minverchk first to see if you have a metldr1 or 2 console, because the 2nd type does not support cfw yet!
Hey thanks! So if i understand you right then i need to go for PEX or D-PEX. Those will give me a PS3 with Debug Features and CFW?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread reminded me of the possibility of playing Gears of War 3 on PS3, except it actually needs a real PS3 dev for that extra ram. I'd really like to try it on PS3 just to experience it.

Even as sluggish as that looks, it's graphically stunning, honestly. PS3/360 are still modern consoles as it is (and they are still connectable to the internet... I wonder when PS3 reaches 5.00 FW lol).

Rocky_D

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Japan
This thread reminded me of the possibility of playing Gears of War 3 on PS3, except it actually needs a real PS3 dev for that extra ram. I'd really like to try it on PS3 just to experience it.

Even as sluggish as that looks, it's graphically stunning, honestly. PS3/360 are still modern consoles as it is (and they are still connectable to the internet... I wonder when PS3 reaches 5.00 FW lol).

Yeah I saw this too,man.It's cool that this Hacker just had this Build sitting on his Hardrive without letting anybody know:D But i think there are some Gears - Clones for PS3 out there ;)

btw i'm Late but so are you! :P

Reactions: Marc_LFD

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I am surprised that nobody took the Bethesda/Skyrim route so to speak. Using the /dev_hdd1/ cache to act as a pagefile. Would it not be possible to run it like this on non-devkits?

I know the EBOOT would require patching/resigning but we already have stuff for that like TASR.

Last edited by _47iscool,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto