Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
hiya.

I have to PC(desktop and laptop) and have a UTSTARCOM ut300r2u modem which consist of 1Eth+1Usb.
So I need to know how to connect your PC(any one) with Usb and can i run them simultaneously?
Also shall I change my telephone internet to cable internet(near about november),But can i use this modem if the connection is changed?

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In 'theory' you can run them simultaneously. Though getting the USB drivers to work is pretty fussy. It's also USB1.1 so you're not getting much out of it. I'd be easier to simply buy a cheap switch and uplink it to the router.

For your second question, no ADSL and cable modems work very differently. You'll either need to buy a cable modem or use the one that's provided to you by your ISP.

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Thanks but i parent's are almost sure that they will switch it to cable internet by november.
So buying a DSL modem will be a waste.
Anymore suggestions which will make my work until november.
tongue.gif

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Originality said:
Just as an example, the Billion BiPAC 7800N that I got.
oh.
thanks for the advice/
i checked a local whole sell dealer and he has only stuffs of netgear and D-link.
i liked a the D-link but not sure if it is good.
i'm going to check the model no. of it.
BTW is there any way to run two PC with my old modem i.e. 1 with eth and 1 with usb simultaneously?
the router page of mine is somewhat different from the others,so i'll post the Pics of it later.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I never heard of Ethernet and USB running simultaneously on the modem. Maybe with third party firmware and good USB driver it can, don't expect it. Modem's job is to translate digital signal, not routing network.

Option #1
You can grab a cheap router, hook them up as

Cable ---> Modem ---> Router ---> Computers

If ADSL/SDSL, put modem into bridge mode while router handles PPPoE to avoid double NAT.
If other, let router do its job and should be okay.

Option #2
Grab a cable or DSL combo routers (modem and routers packed into one unit). Examples include Motorola 3347, and Netgear DGN3500. Hook them up as

Cable ---> Combo Router ---> Computers

Input correct login and network information and you're set.

If you do get combo routers or non ISP backed DSL/Cable modem, make sure you inquire various network settings from your ISP. For ADSL, inquire VCI and VPI. For Cable, you may want to call them so they can register your cable modem/comb router into their system.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is the switch a bad idea? Even if you change ISP's a switch is still useful and would solve your problem today and in the future.

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
trumpet-205 said:
I never heard of Ethernet and USB running simultaneously on the modem. Maybe with third party firmware and good USB driver it can, don't expect it. Modem's job is to translate digital signal, not routing network.

Option #1
You can grab a cheap router, hook them up as

Cable ---> Modem ---> Router ---> Computers

If ADSL/SDSL, put modem into bridge mode while router handles PPPoE to avoid double NAT.
If other, let router do its job and should be okay.

Option #2
Grab a cable or DSL combo routers (modem and routers packed into one unit). Examples include Motorola 3347, and Netgear DGN3500. Hook them up as

Cable ---> Combo Router ---> Computers

Input correct login and network information and you're set.

If you do get combo routers or non ISP backed DSL/Cable modem, make sure you inquire various network settings from your ISP. For ADSL, inquire VCI and VPI. For Cable, you may want to call them so they can register your cable modem/comb router into their system.
OH thanks i'll be checking it out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.