Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
OP
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Thanks. Looking at it I noticed that what I though is true is actually true. The body itself can not bend. Noticed this in some games ( especially on the PSX/PS2 ) that they made the body in two pieces bending but looking at the images I had so far I figured this can't work with the given construction. I had been right
tongue.gif
. Let's see if I can put these schematics to a good use. Nice side/front shots of the troublesome parts.

Dragonlord

OP
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
It's not that difficult actually. Just look around for some video tutorials and get going. Takes some time to learn the UI as it is quite different from the other 3D applications but once you get into it you'll see that the workflow is superior to the other applications. The new 2.5 version is slated to overhaul the UI to be more accessible. Let's see if this is true.

Dragonlord

OP
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Before I continue once again a big thank you to Psyfira for sending me the manual. Helped me a lot. So here we go.

What happened since the last time is the addition of the entire hind legs, the tail and parts of the butt area. Missing now the body part as well as some appendixes ( weapon racks etc. ). Looks like I might even manage to finish this guy once
cool.gif
. So let's continue with some images. Only the preview here. Click to get to the deviation page and click there again for the full view. These are high resolution images (1680×1050). Chose this size so they are also usable as desktop background if one wishes to do so.

Also made up another rotation view this time without reflections as this takes like ages to render.

falcon64z8

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Great modeling! So is blender pretty easier to animation and such? I sample blender 3d awhile back but since then I have been using Maya. But looking at your shots makes me think blender has some potential. Also what are you rendering your models in?

Dragonlord

OP
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
falcon64z8 said:
Great modeling! So is blender pretty easier to animation and such? I sample blender 3d awhile back but since then I have been using Maya. But looking at your shots makes me think blender has some potential. Also what are you rendering your models in?
Blender is top notch what goes for animations. I can't tell you about the new 2.5 version as I have no access to it yet but I heard it improves over 2.49 by making all object properties animate-able using IPO curves. That paired with good constraint support, NLA support and action strips and you have everything you need for doing good animations. Concerning the rendering I used Blender itself. For higher quality rendering you can use Yafaray. Blender has though nodes support for fine tuning the rendering as well as sequencer support so you can combine individual shots to one continues movie using audio streams and more. So Blender is a one-shot application for doing everything you need to get a full scale movie project going.

Dragonlord

OP
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
I did in fact experiment recently with a different project but some Infos might give a heads-up on that one. It's not continuing right now as I have not much time and I have other stuff to do with is more urgent.

QUOTE said:
This one here is a bit special so let's try to explain this properly. Ever since I checked out M.U.G.E.N I had the idea of once messing around with this engine for the fun of it. Somehow this now happened but one step after the other.

History:
First for those not knowing M.U.G.E.N has been created once upon time by a company named Elecbyte. It's a sort of highly customizable fighting engine for games in the spirit of Street Fighter and others where two players beat the hell out of each other in a 2.5D view usually using sprite graphics ( nowadays mostly 3D graphics ). M.U.G.E.N is based on the original sprite driven version. Especially you can create your own characters which is usually done by ripping sprites from such fighting games or in a few cases by doing them on your own.

Enter the dragon... or not
When it gets down to dragons there are not many M.U.G.E.N characters for as in those old fighting games dragons tend not to be playable nor CPU controlled enemies with a few exceptions. They are though in general not usable for player usage, at best as CPU controlled opponents. So I had the idea to change this a bit.

Project Goals
Goal is to create a dragon type fighter character compatible with M.U.G.E.N sticking to the typical way these characters are created. In general they are cartoon type characters usually of bizarre look including strange clothing or other kind of gadgets. For this purpose I went for a cartoon type dragon, in particular a female dragon with a bunch of accessories attached here and there as well as more cartoon type color scheme. She's supposed to be a bit high-nosed and quite ill tempered ( well, a bit of a spoiled brat one could say
tongue.gif
). For this I chose to use a 3D->2.5D setup which is obtaining the sprites from a 3D model using isometric rendering and down sampling ( since M.U.G.E.N requires palettized images ). I also want to play with a few "specialties" found other fighting games seeing if I can reproduce them somehow in M.U.G.E.N . For this her helmet is a separate mesh which can be detached. More about that later.

About the Image
Now about the image. I used the game model of Sean and heavily modified it to be a cartoon like female dragon. The model is far ready to be used. I don't put too much detail into it since it will be down-rendered to a 130-260 tall image so not much is going to stick anyways. The coloring is done but requires a few touch-ups ( blender material limits being a problem ). Since the final sprite is a palettized image the coloring can be easily adjusted later on. Everything is set up so far. The only thing missing are the animations and creating the M.U.G.E.N character with the rendered results. A second deviation contains a preview render of how this would look like. More to come.

Additional Resources
Early un-colored model of the dragoness: Image
Rotation video: Video

EDIT: Additional Informations
Forgot to add some infos. The red and blue "things" on the various bracelets and the helmet are supposed to be gems ( ruby and sapphire ). Not sure what it is supposed to be but let's say it represents some status or something like that. Don't get fooled by the helmet though. The huge sapphire gem at the front side is not for decoration. She can unleash some devastating energy beam with that one
tongue.gif

This than continued like this:
QUOTE said:
Continuation...
Critic points brought up so far:
- head movement too heavy
- bandana movement too heavy on the uprise
- secondary motions.

Trying to fix up the secondary motions. Something still bugs me though. Not fully happy yet. But better than before I think. Still requires the other materials to be done using the cell shading approach but not today.

And eventually...
Attempt on a a grab/throw move. After all what better way is there to show somebody you hate him than a nice grab/throw. This is the "grab your neck and rip out your throat" type of grab/throw move. This is the bare animation. Put together also a test MUGEN character using the idle and throw animation starting from blank files. My capture software is not up to it so it's a bit slow and choppy but you get the idea. Not much to see yet but I'm happy I got the basic character files working so far. Let's see if I can add some bloodiness to this one
biggrin.gif

In-Game Grab/Throw Video (YouTube)

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Rye would get shot at sight.