Hacking Solving Acekard contact issues

tk_saturn

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Contact issues can prevent your Acekard from appearing in the DS menu. It can also make your DS freeze mid game or during booting. If your Acekard doesn't appear in the DS menu it is normally a slot-1 contact issue, or a bad flash. It's not the MicroSD card , your DS will still detect the Acekard even if the MicroSD card isn't inserted. You should first try unbricking you cart as in the unbricking guide above. If that doesn't work then try a paper trick as below.

If your Acekard freezes mid game, this can be a slot-1 contact issue, or less commonly a MicroSD card contact issue. If your Acekard sits on a blue loading screen when you power it on, it means it can't see your MicroSD card. You can verify this by trying to boot your Acekard up with no MicroSD card inserted, you should find it will sit there on the blue loading screen.

If you are using a DSi XL, pulling the cart slightly out of the slot after insertion has been known to work. Insert the Acekard into the XL's cart slot normally until it locks in position. Once locked without depressing the cart pull it out slightly. You shouldn't be able to pull out by much as it should still be locked in position.

If none of these methods work, you will need to send it back to your retailer for a replacement. There really is little else you can do.

icon13.gif
In all of the paper tricks don't go over the top and use something too thick, as it could cause your Acekard to get stuck in the DS cart slot. At the most it should be the thickness of a business card, no thicker. Start with a single piece of paper and then work upwards until it works

The Paper Trick
First give the contacts on the Acekard a clean, then have a look inside the slot-1 on your DS with a torch. If it's full of debris, give the inside of the slot-1 on your DS a clean. Becareful not to bend the contacts.

01_ak_contact_repost-dscon.jpg

If that still doesn't work, see if the Acekard is loose in the slot. If so the the paper trick may solve the issue. You can use various thickness of paper depending on how loose the cart is. If you use to much paper the cart can get stuck in the slot, so try one piece at a time. Another solution is to place pieces of tape on the top and bottom of the sticker.

Cut a piece of paper to the size and shape of the Acekard, leave an extra piece that will fold over the top of the cart. You should use a single piece of paper not card, and then work upwards.

02_ak_contact_repost-ak_and_paper.jpg

Run your thumb over the sticker of the Acekard, you will likely feel a slight bump chich is from the glob top chip underneath the shell. If you do lay the Acekard sticker side down on a flat surface. See if you are able rock the Acekard from side to side.

03_ak_contact_repost-rockingak2-2.gif

04_ak_contact_repost-rockingak2-1.gif

If you can, then using a normal piece of paper can cause your Acekard to get stuck in the slot. This is because it will be widest at the point where the bump is. It's also possible it may be rocking while inside the cart slot. To solve this cut a square out of the center of the paper.

05_ak_contact_repost-ak_and_paper.jpg

Cut the square so you can see the '2' through the hole.

06_ak_contact_repost_paper_over_acekard.jpg

Place the piece of paper over the Acekard sticker side and insert into the DS.

07_ak_contact_repost_ak-inserted-animated.gif

If the cart gets stuck you can use the flap to pull the piece of paper out.

08_ak_contact_repost_out-of-slot-with-paper.jpg

If you don't like seeing the paper, you can use clear plastic such as an OHP sheet or the plastic insert from the Acekard packaging.

09_ak_contact_repost-plastic_instead_of_paper.jpg

The TK Paper Trick

While many suggest the 'paper trick', it's only really useful if the cart is loose. Sometimes the paper trick won't work because the PCB is low in the cart. The grey plastic of the shell to the sides of the contacts will stop the cart from going back any further in the cart slot. An alternative is the 'sliding trick' below.

Have a look at the contacts on your Acekard, these are 2 of mine for you to compare it to:

10_ak_contact_repost-cards_head_on.jpg

You can see the top cart has lower contacts than the other, and on the bottom cart you can see the contacts are too far to the left.

If the contacts are low, It's easily fixed.

11_ak_contact_repost-bottom_contact_arrow.jpg

Inside the Acekard shell, there's a small strip underneath the PCB where the contacts are. We want to increase the distance between the PCB and shell at this point, this will push the contacts on the Acekard closer towards those of the DS.

You can achieve this by sliding something non-conductive underneath the PCB where the contacts are. Once this is underneath all the way, it isn't easy to remove. This can be paper or plastic, but in both cases it shouldn't be too thick. You should use the bare minimum thickness which will solve the contact problem. If you push the contacts to far, they will bend the contacts in the DS; which will stop retail carts making contact with them. If you don't want what you slide underneath to be visible, you can use clear plastic such as the type you use on overhead projector sheets.

You will need to cut the opposite corners of what you slide underneath like in the photo, this will make it easier for you to angle it in because of the two bars to side side of the contacts.

12_ak_contact_repost_plastic_example.jpg

You can pull the PCB up with your nail so you can slide it underneath.

13_ak_contact_repost-plastic_inserted.jpg

13_ak_contact_repost-plastic_inserted-2.jpg

13_ak_contact_repost-plastic_inserted-3.jpg

Afterwards you should be able to visibly see the PCB is higher in the cart.

The Combo Paper Trick

This should work for the DSi XL, athough I don't have one to try it on.

Cut a piece of paper (not card) like so:

14_ak_contact_repost-ak_and_paper_for_dsixl.jpg

Again you should leave a small piece which will fold over the top of the Acekard. If the Acekard has a bump on the front, then you should cut a square out of the paper as in the 1st paper trick.

Insert one end underneath the PCB contacts

15_ak_contact_repost_ak-inserted-paper.gif

Fold the other end round so it covers the sticker.

16_ak_contact_repost-ak_and_paper_for_dsixl.jpg

Insert the Acekard into your DS.

17_ak_contact_repost_ak-inserted-to_ds_animated.gif

If it still doesn't work, pull the extra flap and your Acekard will lift out of the slot slightly. The extra thickness of paper should hold it in position.

18_ak_contact_repost_ak-inserted-to_ds_animated.gif

bitonio6

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
it's serious ???

When i saw that on the AKAIO forum, i wanted to leave a message
but the thread is close in AKAIO forum...

So i come here to say: It's the better joke a never saw in my life!!!

1/ Maybe Acekard need to stop using GLUE everywhere in their Acekard 2i
2/ Maybe they need to learn about how to cut correctly a PCB
(they can learn from a DSTTi for example)
3/ This Trick is very useless, the real solution is to clean the PCB with alcool and cut the two guides
4/ A friend of mine sold thousands of Acekard 2i and he never need to use your solution, ever!!!
5/ I cant believe people buying a brand new Acekard 2i then use a trick like this, to make it work?!

My GOD ?!
closedeyes.gif

Reactions: Tekniquez

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bitonio6 said:
it's serious ???

When i saw that on the AKAIO forum, i wanted to leave a message
but the thread is close in AKAIO forum...

So i come here to say: It's the better joke a never saw in my life!!!

1/ Maybe Acekard need to stop using GLUE everywhere in their Acekard 2i
2/ Maybe they need to learn about how to cut correctly a PCB
(they can learn from a DSTTi for example)
3/ This Trick is very useless, the real solution is to clean the PCB with alcool and cut the two guides
4/ A friend of mine sold thousands of Acekard 2i and he never need to use your solution, ever!!!
5/ I cant believe people buying a brand new Acekard 2i then use a trick like this, to make it work?!

My GOD ?!
closedeyes.gif

TTDS fanboy alert.

Reactions: Margen67
D

Deleted-236924

I like how you suggest to cut a square-shaped hole to make up for the bump underneath the sticker, but you end up not doing that at all.

bitonio6

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
this thread dont HELP...Because it is not a solution...

So now, when we try to bring some experience,
but if this experience is against the subject of the thread
you erase all the post ???

GREAT, good idea to motivate people to participate!!!

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
bitonio6 said:

The 'paper trick' has proven its worth countless times for people who have contact issues. Simply saying "AceKard sucks - buy a DSTT" is both unhelpful and offtopic.

Incidentally, the other posts were trashed because they were flaming YOU personally.

Reactions: 1 person

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bitonio6 said:

Except it IS a solution.
My AceKard started having contact issues after about 6~7 months, I put a slip of paper under the contacts and it's been fine ever since.

Not every AceKard has a contact issue, sometimes it's the DS itself.
The contacts on my older DS started to get pretty worn and started having problems reading retail cards.

bitonio6

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
it's amazing, nobody can open their eyes???
A lot of AK2i arrive with a PCB problem
and many residues from soldering...

You just need to cut the both plastic guides and clean the pcb with alcohol...

But that change nothing about Acekard quality made problem

They dont know how to cut correctyl a PCB, so, they use Glue to fix the problem,
but sometime, the PCB is glued not correctly

One time, check an original DSTTi and compare it with an acekard 2i, you'll see where is the problem!

Another big problem with acekard 2i, is when the PCB is glued not correctly
you cant extract your microSD from the microSD slot!!!

Acekard have AKAIO, but the made quality is very BAD

So, i prefer to see improvement made quality from the factory
rather than a solution like this one from this thread!!!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
bitonio6 may seem to want to annoy us, but his purpose is to get some bad rep out there so that the Acekard team will fix this. As we've seen many times before, issues can go a long time untouched, but as soon as a big site like gbatemp talks about the issue on their front-page, suddenly the teams care enough to fix it...

bitonio6

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
i think more people will make noise about products problems,
more the factory will react fast !!!

It's only my goal when i talk about something wrong or bad about a flashcard

But here, in this thread, i do not want to see people, forced to doing that to continue using their Acekard 2 product!

wink.gif

Artrigis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Initially my acekard was essentially worthless, tried the paper trick and it pretty much solved the problem. Though within the past few months I will have trouble with the card again even with the paper trick.
A game may freeze, I shut off and on the system and find that the DS lite doesnt recognize the card anymore. Occasionally my DS lite will not recognize retail carts either. Im thinking its somemthing wrong with the actual DS itself. It has some wear.. I bought it used, dont know how many hours it had on it. But Ive put in over 250+ hours in it.
Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Artrigis said:
Initially my acekard was essentially worthless, tried the paper trick and it pretty much solved the problem. Though within the past few months I will have trouble with the card again even with the paper trick.
A game may freeze, I shut off and on the system and find that the DS lite doesnt recognize the card anymore. Occasionally my DS lite will not recognize retail carts either. Im thinking its somemthing wrong with the actual DS itself. It has some wear.. I bought it used, dont know how many hours it had on it. But Ive put in over 250+ hours in it.
I would suggest doing this before you go to bed so that it can be allowed to sit for a few hours to fully dry out.

Take a cotton swab (sometimes called 'q-tips') and dip it in rubbing alcohol or some other kind of contacts (NOT EYE CONTACTS!) or electronics cleaning solution, do NOT use 'things with alcohol in it' like aftershaves, they contain other ingredients that will leave your system worse off.
Get the cotton swab pretty heavily soaked, to the point that it is dripping. Insert it into your DS slot and move it back and forth, then wipe it on a retail cart or your AceKard so the contacts are wet as well and insert then eject it a few times.
Remove the card and let it sit for a few hours, again I recommend letting it sit over night.

This will only help if the problem is dirty/dusty contacts, not if the problem is wear.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find a layer or two of cellotape accross the Acekard sticker works wonders. Just apply it so it overhangs all the edges then trim with a sharp pair of scissors. One layer will probably do the trick.

Artrigis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Artrigis said:
I would suggest doing this before you go to bed so that it can be allowed to sit for a few hours to fully dry out.

Take a cotton swab (sometimes called 'q-tips') and dip it in rubbing alcohol or some other kind of contacts (NOT EYE CONTACTS!) or electronics cleaning solution, do NOT use 'things with alcohol in it' like aftershaves, they contain other ingredients that will leave your system worse off.
Get the cotton swab pretty heavily soaked, to the point that it is dripping. Insert it into your DS slot and move it back and forth, then wipe it on a retail cart or your AceKard so the contacts are wet as well and insert then eject it a few times.
Remove the card and let it sit for a few hours, again I recommend letting it sit over night.

This will only help if the problem is dirty/dusty contacts, not if the problem is wear.

I do use those compressed air cans, but that doesnt seem to help much.

But I will try what you suggested, thanks.

cloudchaser_28

Trophies
XP
Country
Had contact issues with my AceKard2i as well, the trick works absolutely great, but I was getting a bit annoyed by the paper always falling out whenever I needed to get the AceKard2i out.

So here's my solution:

- Get a Sticker Paper from your local bookstore (that paper with sticker adhesive on one side)

- Trace the AceKard2i cart shape on the sticker with a pencil

- Once you've traced the shape, use a cutter to, well... cut the thing out.

- Finally, stick the cutout on your AceKard2i. =) That should do the trick and make your AceKard2i fit snugly.

If you need the paper to be thicker, just add another layer of sticker paper on it.

Cheers! =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill