Gaming so what is the fate of 3DS?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's still cheaper to publish for the 3ds, and there's a huge install base. So just like with every other popular console, it'll get a few games here and there after the new console is out (see nes, snes, 360, ps3, etc etc). But yes, the switch will replace it. The market will ultimately decide for how long, but not for overly long. Consider it a legacy device that'll get some releases every so often in 2017.

Brand confusion would be the real problem with a 3ds successor. switch mini? super ultra new 3ds? I don't know, seems like a minefield. If the switch flops maaaaybe. but as soon as pokemon hits the switch, we'll know it'll have completely replaced the 3ds.

Last edited by osaka35,

FrostyDialga

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
it's still cheaper to publish for the 3ds, and there's a huge install base. So just like with every other popular console, it'll get a few games here and there after the new console is out (see nes, snes, 360, ps3, etc etc). But yes, the switch will replace it. The market will ultimately decide for how long, but not for overly long. Consider it a legacy device that'll get some releases every so often in 2017.

Brand confusion would be the real problem with a 3ds successor. switch mini? super ultra new 3ds? I don't know, seems like a minefield. If the switch flops maaaaybe. but as soon as pokemon hits the switch, we'll know it'll have completely replaced the 3ds.
http://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/economy/article/20170201000176 its in japnese but translate it they are consdisoring making a 3ds sucessor

D

Deleted User

I think one more Pokemon game will come out on the 3ds like black 2 and white 2 on the original ds,then after that it will die.I would also like to see a ff6 remake before it dies aswell.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Hyoretsu

FrostyDialga

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nothing will happen to the 3DS, it's still going to be successful for a few more years to come.
idk how there going to put gen 8 on it though gen 7 already lags in double battles so they can't improve the graphichs anymore they can put a gen 4 remake on it though

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
idk how there going to put gen 8 on it though gen 7 already lags in double battles so they can't improve the graphichs anymore they can put a gen 4 remake on it though
Sun and Moon are poorly optimized for N3DS, and I think the gen 8 games should be N3DS exclusives to really take advantage of the more robust hardware. The games play as if they were made for O3DS, and had no wiggle room to smooth themselves out on the newer hardware.

FrostyDialga

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Sun and Moon are poorly optimized for N3DS, and I think the gen 8 games should be N3DS exclusives to really take advantage of the more robust hardware. The games play as if they were made for O3DS, and had no wiggle room to smooth themselves out on the newer hardware.
the game still lags on the new 3ds just not as much as old 3ds and yeah alot of people still have the old one inclduing me cause i got mine before the new one was around.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
the game still lags on the new 3ds just not as much as old 3ds and yeah alot of people still have the old one inclduing me cause i got mine before the new one was around.
They lag about the same for me on both old and new.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Nintendo isn't going to tell us anything until well after the switch is out concerning their plans for a 3ds replacement.
I think mobile is the obvious choice but a 4ds is not out of the question. They can certainly afford the risk.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1