So I want to play PS1 ISOs. What's the best approach?

See the thread topic.

• Total voters

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I guess I struck a nerve, @KleinesSinchen? CD-Rs and DVD-Rs degrade, that's just how it works. You would be the first person I meet that has never encountered bitrot in an optical media collection. You do your thing, I'll do mine and I'll surely don't want to force you to change your ways.
Problem is we are getting off-topic here. But I'll answer.
To me it feels we are running into a trap here: Cold text doesn't transport feelings. Maybe you got the impression I angrily hammered the above post into my laptop yesterday. Please just imagine my text read aloud with a friendly voice/tone. I'm under huge stress personally right now. That might add up to the problem (I might not choose the best words), but I don't have any bad intentions, even if using a bit of sarcasm.

"You do your thing, I'll do mine" is how I usually handle everything. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to openly disagree with somebody, or does it?
You did not strike a nerve, you just repeated the majority opinion on anything physical for the millionth time while mixing up things. This omnipresent "I left this behind, I got beyond that, I'm over these, I'm so progressive and everybody not agreeing is just antiquated (and maybe even stupid)" is just getting annoying over time. This is why I dared to object for once (instead of keeping quiet like I did with the other 1000+ times I've seen such statements). Please don't take this personally. I had no intentions to attack you.

"CD-Rs and DVD-Rs degrade, that's just how it works" Of course they do! Everything humans build does this. Well, I said this above. The thing is: The consensus is ignoring hard facts. Many optical discs can be called ancient regarding computer storage. Failures popping up now is expected and surely not a sign of "bad stuff". They outlasted many other things. The Hynix chips in the Wii U consoles didn't even come close to that age. Not even talking about SDs and USB sticks here.

Now back to the actual topic:

If bad CD-R last almost two decades under questionable storage conditions (like those I investigated), they are still a viable and cheap way for playing PS1 games. The feared and scolded "disc rot" "bit rot" and similar exists. And that means exactly what? That a 20ct cheap CD-R is not to be considered because it will be bad someday?
Of course your XStation is the superior alternative! It is also the more expensive and harder to get started (soldering) alternative.

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's important for you to tell us what you have to work with already and/or what you're willing to spend.
The list of viable answers to your question in 2023 (without you providing more detail to narrow it down) is pretty long...

(which if you really think about it is totally awesome!)

What I'm already doing is using a fat PS2 with MechaPwn installed.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I'm already doing is using a fat PS2 with MechaPwn installed.
But you're asking for a change... I mean like what kind of computer do you have (to evaluate if emulation would be good enough to recommend) or what sum of money are you looking to spend on a solution that doesn't utilize what you have on hand. Your current setup isn't really relevant or you'd simply stick with it and not ask for an alternative.

Would you be using (or want to acquire) a CRT? Is the goal to play on a monitor (what type) or flat screen TV? Are you looking for a solution that requires only initial setup, after which getting playing each day isn't really any effort? Do you want to be able to enhance your games with better graphics or have them look good at much higher than original resolutions?

With PS1 you can do anything from playing games on a $50 handheld to a $300+ MiSTer setup. You can use "official Sony emulation" on your PS2, a PS3, PSP or Vita/VitaTV. You could use a real PS1 with discs, an ODE, an HDMI-out mod with upscaling, a retrotink to upscale externally or almost any combination of those.

We haven't even gotten into your options if you went with a full blown computer and emulation yet!

I'm just saying that if you REALLY want help finding something you will be happy with, you at least should provide some more info that supports what you would be moving towards, not what you're thinking of getting away from. At the end of the day, the best solution for YOU is what suits your needs, so help us out and try to explain those wants/needs and your resources and budget a bit. :)

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm just looking for vindication for my method or if there's too many downsides compared to going a more complex-but-ultimately-more-satisfying route. Setting up MechaPwn was easy enough but it relies on PS2 hardware and that seems less resilient than actual PS1s and because of the PS2's input processing system you can't run them as disc images, they have to be on CDs (whereas a PS1 can be set up for direct image loading if you have a hand for soldering).

And, yeah, it's on a CRT. I have BC-capable PS3s but I haven't configured them to run PS1 ISOs so no PS1 games on HDTVs unless it's a legit game.

I would have mentioned using a PSP or Vita but the lack of buttons is a hindrance and I've hit compatibility issues (particularly on the Vita because you can't use POPSLoader, meaning you're stuck with whatever compatibility it's capable of) so I'm not as hype about doing that (if I really want portable PS1 gaming I have a handheld gaming PC so that would probably be enough).

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm just looking for vindication for my method or if there's too many downsides compared to going a more complex-but-ultimately-more-satisfying route. Setting up MechaPwn was easy enough but it relies on PS2 hardware and that seems less resilient than actual PS1s and because of the PS2's input processing system you can't run them as disc images, they have to be on CDs (whereas a PS1 can be set up for direct image loading if you have a hand for soldering).

And, yeah, it's on a CRT. I have BC-capable PS3s but I haven't configured them to run PS1 ISOs so no PS1 games on HDTVs unless it's a legit game.

I would have mentioned using a PSP or Vita but the lack of buttons is a hindrance and I've hit compatibility issues (particularly on the Vita because you can't use POPSLoader, meaning you're stuck with whatever compatibility it's capable of) so I'm not as hype about doing that (if I really want portable PS1 gaming I have a handheld gaming PC so that would probably be enough).
I haven't bothered with MechaPwn myself, but if a PS2 running PS1 images is all it would take to make you happy, can you now not use OpenPS2Loader? My quick-n-dirty Playstation setup is a PS2 slim with PS1 & PS2 disc images on a 5tb 2.5" hdd. It's serviceable, tho I do prefer either a real PS1 w/ODE on CRT or one of a few higher cost setups on a flat screen.

I thought that even with MechaPwn you could still use OPL, or a combination of FMcB+OPL?

ststudios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im shocked no one else has voted for a MiSTer....does anyone else in here own one?[best retro device EVER besides original hardware]

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
ODE on a PS2. You get nearly 100% compatibility, saves work guaranteed, controller is legit feeling, and you get faster loading with bilinear texture filtering. To me, this is the definitive way to play PS1; on a modded PS2.

Reactions: SylverReZ

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ODE on a PS2. You get nearly 100% compatibility, saves work guaranteed, controller is legit feeling, and you get faster loading with bilinear texture filtering. To me, this is the definitive way to play PS1; on a modded PS2.
If I missed the release of an ODE for PS2 please tell me?! I know of something in the works that may be a "universal ODE" for practically anything, but nothing that can be bought right now...

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought that even with MechaPwn you could still use OPL, or a combination of FMcB+OPL?

You can. The problem isn't that (you need FMCB to even install MechaPwn), the problem comes down to the fact that PS2 games are run by passing I/O requests through the PS1 CPU. So if you're playing a PS2 game, no big deal, the PS1 CPU is otherwise idle and handles I/O for the console.

But if you want to load a PS1 game now it needs that CPU to do...well, actual work. So the I/O requests no longer get handled by the PS1 CPU and it's responsible for the entire system running in PS1 mode, meaning if you're trying to grab a game off an HDD or network share there's no I/O taking place that the PS2 side can use. The only option at that point is to run PS1 games as CDs.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can. The problem isn't that (you need FMCB to even install MechaPwn), the problem comes down to the fact that PS2 games are run by passing I/O requests through the PS1 CPU. So if you're playing a PS2 game, no big deal, the PS1 CPU is otherwise idle and handles I/O for the console.

But if you want to load a PS1 game now it needs that CPU to do...well, actual work. So the I/O requests no longer get handled by the PS1 CPU and it's responsible for the entire system running in PS1 mode, meaning if you're trying to grab a game off an HDD or network share there's no I/O taking place that the PS2 side can use. The only option at that point is to run PS1 games as CDs.
So, MechaPwn locks you into the way of working? you can't have FMcB boot the system directly to OPL and have the PS2 run as it would have before you setup MechaPwn?
Post automatically merged:

arent they awesome?! what kinda setups are yours?? i have 3 (stack in pcb case with 512gb sd card, mister multisystem in v5 case with 1tb sd card and 4tb ssd, and an ironclad itx that i need to build)
One is a full stack with Analog I/O board hooked up to a 36" CRT, the other is lacking an I/O board and is mainly used portably in a G-Story PS Classic Monitor Case.

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OPL boots PS2 games. Any type of communication when the system is in PS2 mode is done by the PS1 CPU. You'd have to rewrite how the PS2 reads I/O to be able to load PS1 games from anything besides a CD.

ststudios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, MechaPwn locks you into the way of working? you can't have FMcB boot the system directly to OPL and have the PS2 run as it would have before you setup MechaPwn?

One is a full stack with Analog I/O board hooked up to a 36" CRT, the other is lacking an I/O board and is mainly used portably in a G-Story PS Classic Monitor Case.
36" crt hot dang thats gotta weigh a ton...i have i think a 27" crt and its heavy as all hell

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OPL boots PS2 games. Any type of communication when the system is in PS2 mode is done by the PS1 CPU. You'd have to rewrite how the PS2 reads I/O to be able to load PS1 games from anything besides a CD.
SO the way I use OPL to play PS1 games on PS2 isn't viable with MechaPwn? That's basically what I'm asking, I guess...

36" crt hot dang thats gotta weigh a ton...i have i think a 27" crt and its heavy as all hell
Little over 150lbs. It's a consumer Sony Trinitron with component and wireless headphone support built in. Great for late night gaming when the fam is asleep.

SolidSonicTH

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SO the way I use OPL to play PS1 games on PS2 isn't viable with MechaPwn? That's basically what I'm asking, I guess...

I would think at that point you're telling the PS2 to..."pretend" to be a PS1 rather than tapping into the embedded hardware (in other words making the PS2 side process PS1 games and leave the PS1 hardware out of it). I believe that's what POPStarter is doing and my understanding is that method is really mediocre for PS1 games.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would think at that point you're telling the PS2 to..."pretend" to be a PS1 rather than tapping into the embedded hardware (in other words making the PS2 side process PS1 games and leave the PS1 hardware out of it). I believe that's what POPStarter is doing and my understanding is that method is really mediocre for PS1 games.
In fairness, I have minimal understanding of how and why MechaPwn is used and PS1 support on my PS2 via OPL is just a "because I can" that I don't use often. Personally I have two actual PS1s that see regular use, one has an X-Station ODE & PS1Digital hooked up to a flat screen and the other has a MODE and is hooked up to my CRT. I have a pair of PSOne's as well that don't see too much use or stay hooked up. A MemCardPRO manages all my save data. Then there's the MiSTers as well. Also the PSPs, Vitas and VitaTV that I have, not to mention all the emulator handhelds and PC emulation, oh and Evercade/Retroarch... PS1 is literally EVERYWHERE in my house. :rofl2:

ststudios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In fairness, I have minimal understanding of how and why MechaPwn is used and PS1 support on my PS2 via OPL is just a "because I can" that I don't use often. Personally I have two actual PS1s that see regular use, one has an X-Station ODE & PS1Digital hooked up to a flat screen and the other has a MODE and is hooked up to my CRT. I have a pair of PSOne's as well that don't see too much use or stay hooked up. A MemCardPRO manages all my save data. Then there's the MiSTers as well. Also the PSPs, Vitas and VitaTV that I have, not to mention all the emulator handhelds and PC emulation, oh and Evercade/Retroarch... PS1 is literally EVERYWHERE in my house. :rofl2:
oh man i can play legit ps1 SOOOO many places too :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum