PS1 GCon games on PS3 with a controller adaptor

cmdrmarc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So in my quest to be able to play PS1 GCon ISOs I decided to try a PS3 - here's what I needed:

• A PS3 with the old multi AV output (I have a Slim)
  • A CRT
  • A GCon1
  • A controller adaptor (as the PS3 doesn't have PS1/2 controller ports) like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163259226234
  • A GCon adaptor to plug the yellow video output interrupt into
  • A retail GCon game to test the setup before I tested an ISO
Results:
  • PS3 output happily to the CRT once set to use the Multi AV out WIN
  • GCon was detected as a controller by the PS3 WIN
  • GCon game (Point Blank) booted as expected WIN
  • No GCon calibrate screen on boot FAIL
  • Go to Options > Controller > It just detects the GCon as a regular PS1 controller FAIL
Conclusion:

• I didn't end up trying the ISO given I can't get the PS1 game to detect the GCon :( it's a shame because the button presses and trigger are registering as expected in the game - you get the crosshair, and hit anything that happens to be there when you pull the trigger - it doesn't doesn't register any gun movement.
  • It's possible this is just an issue with the adaptor, and something in the wiring isn't translating it correctly, or the PS3 just entirely ignores the video interrupt part of the signal - I tried it on Composite output, and also both options in MultiAV output (RGB and CMYK) and nothing made any difference.
So unless anyone has any thoughts on other things I could try, I mainly just wanted to post this so if others searched for the same thing, they'd know sadly it doesn't work. Your only way of playing GCon1 games is on either a PS1 or PS2 via legit retail discs, or have modded your system to be able to play CD-Rs. I have found no workable way of playing GCon1 games via ISO (see my other thread here https://gbatemp.net/threads/g-con-1-games-on-ps2-via-fmcb-popstarter.625755/)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...