Homebrew SNES Virtual Console on o3DS maybe?

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In addition to this, even on Retroarch Donkey Kong Country 2 has some issues of slowdown in certain levels. Which I'd assume the incoming VC version wont.
Believe it or not, Nintendo knows what they're doing with their own systems than random homebrewers do.

If that was the reason, then Nintendo would only sell Donkey Kong Country on the N3DS and sell the games that work on the O3DS on the O3DS.

And that isn't even considering that they can do a per-game tweak to the emulator. Each VC game includes a separate copy of the emulator anyway.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
And DS mode uses 3DS GPU to render :rolleyes:

No, it doesn't. The 3DS includes DS hardware, part of which is actual 2D hardware, which is an improved version of the GBA 2D hardware. Has numerous unique features missing, but it was similar enough that because people weren't really caring for accuracy, it was better than no emulator at all.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The O3DS has enough power to properly emulate SNES games. The thing is, building a good emulator for O3DS is harder than building one for N3DS, because it needs to be more optimized to make up for the weaker hardware. Perhaps someone can try asking archeide if he wants to port snemulds to 3DS or take over blargsnes.

Also retroarch looks like sh*t.

o3DS has enough power to run them, not "properly" run them at the expected 60fps. There are still many things missing in blargSNES, and timing is part of that, which is why many games don't run, or are missing audio or whatnot.

Reactions: parasyte

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
O3DS can't handle SNES at fullspeed with homebrew emulators (when it run at fullspeed on a N3DS) so there's no reason Nintendo could do better.

They could probably managed to make a few games run at fullspeed with an emulator heavily modified only for this but it would be pretty weird to only sell certain games on O3DS and people would have complained anyway.

Same for GBA, O3DS is not powerful enough, the only way to run GBA games at fullspeed is to use the DS backward compatibility, which is what the ambassador games use (Nintendo first tried to emulate them, some people found some traces of an old GBA emulator in some files, and then decided to use the DS backward compatibility when they saw they wouldn't be able to emulate them properly).

People have problems to understand why some systems can emulate some others or not. For example, a N3DS is more powerful than a PSP and though, it can't emulate a PS1 at fullspeed (at least, for now) when a PSP, which is a very old system, can do it easily.

Why? Because the PSP and the PS1 use a CPU with the same architecture so it's not really a full emulation, it's rather a sort of backward compatibility than emulation if it can help some people to understand.

So the CPU/GPU performance aren't the only thing you need to look when you want to emulate something. And even is the O3DS is far more recent/powerful (in terms of "raw" power) than a SNES, it doesn't mean it can emulate a SNES easily.

The proof is just before your eyes with the SNES homebrew emulators. If a O3DS could handle it easily, they would run at fullspeed. They are not Nintendo, so they have nothing to gain by not making it run on O3DS if they could (Nintendo also have nothing to gain. Just think how much O3DS are available worldwide. They could get a lot more money by selling SNES VC games on O3DS rather than selling a few more N3DS. SNES VC games are digital games, near no additional costs when they don't get 150 dollars per N3DS sold).

It's for the same reason that exclusive N3DS retail games are pretty rare. They have more to lost than gain by releasing all new games are N3DS exclusives.

This is so bad, because BlargSNES runs perfectly as a homebrew, yet Nintendo couldn't make an official one for the o3ds...

...Well, promoting the New3ds, I guess, but still a little rediculous.

I guess we don't have the same dictionnary. BlargSNES is far from perfect (enjoyable would be a better choice of word). A lot of games does not boot at all. Like I explained before, Nintendo could probably make a few games run fine (some games are easier to emulate, as some games don't use all the SNES full power) but I guess they didn't want to release different games for both systems.

In addition to this, even on Retroarch Donkey Kong Country 2 has some issues of slowdown in certain levels. Which I'd assume the incoming VC version wont.
Believe it or not, Nintendo knows what they're doing with their own systems than random homebrewers do.

Erm, you know that some SNES games have slowdown even on the real hardware, right? (Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is full of slowdowns, for example).

Of course, if the original game doesn't have slowdown (but if they are somes, Nintendo will leave them), the VC one should not have any, but you can't :

- Compare a free and a paid product.
- Compare a dedicated emulator (which only have to run one game correctly) against another one which have to run 1000+ games.

He was saying Nintendo would not sell a product with bad sound.

Remember Final Fantasy games on GBA :D ? (Nintendo review each game before they let a publisher sell a game on their system, at least it was still the case back in the GBA days).

They won't probably sound bad (then it depend what "bad" is for you anyway, we are not equal about hearing sound/music, but they might not sound 100% accurate like the real hardware. Emulation will always be emulation and will never be 100% accurate. People who only care about accuracy use the real hardware (and even with the real hardware, the music/sound can be different depending of the TV you are using).

I think I'm beginning to see why there's no point in talking details about emulation to people. People have their own "assumptions", and believe they know what's up when they haven't touched a single like of emulation code to back up their "assumptions".

Yeah, completely.

Last edited by davhuit,
Reactions: PacPera and MK73DS

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm, you know that some SNES games have slowdown even on the real hardware, right? (Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is full of slowdowns, for example).

Of course, if the original game doesn't have slowdown (but if they are somes, Nintendo will leave them), the VC one should not have any, but you can't :

- Compare a free and a paid product.
- Compare a dedicated emulator (which only have to run one game correctly) against another one which have to run 1000+ games.
Yes, I'm fully aware. But DKC2 and 3 are never supposed to be sub 30FPS. Which they get to in levels with 3D objects in the background with BlargSnes. Which was the point I was making..

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wouldn't advice anyone to use BlargSNES in it's actual state now that there's CatSFC.

I haven't tested every levels of DKC games but the few I played were working at the original framerate on CatSFC (N3DS).

Is there a specific level to test to check those things?

Last edited by davhuit,

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I wouldn't advice anyone to use BlargSNES in it's actual state now that there's CatSFC.

I haven't tested every levels of DKC games but the few I played were working at the original framerate on CatSFC (N3DS).

Is there a specific level to test to check those things?
blargSNES is only proposed as an alternative to O3DS users. AFAIK none of the Retroarch SNES emulators are anywhere near playable on O3DS.

Reactions: dronesplitter

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Why do people on here constantly bitch about exclusive titles? Get over it already
O3DS people salty they're not getting 20 year old games on their handheld.
N3DS people constantly looking to validate their $200 purchase of a console with only two exclusives.
Entitlement. GBATemp in a nutshell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: G'night!