Hacking Skyward Sword keeps resetting to the menu, 1st WM+ game, solution

Janssonn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Call me stupid, but I am new to all this with modding and I can't understand anything above what I am reading.. I have downloaded the "cIOS249[56]-d2x-v6" I know how to install it via MMM. And I know how to switch what IOS I can use to install with. That's as far as my knowledge goes. I should use 249 to install it with then? And then I can start Zelda (hopefully)? About this part: "The rest is different for each loader, but all major loaders support it, CFG, GX, NeoGamma and WiiFlow(maybe uloader does not support it). - Get the latest version of the loader you prefer. - Make sure it uses IOS249 for all games, or just IOS249 for this game, it does not matter. - Enable the "Block IOS Reload" option, either as global option or per game option." 1. How do I check what version I am even using (am using WiiFlow). 2. How do I check what IOS WiiFlow is using to load the games with if it should be IOS 249 then. 3. How do I enable Block IOS Reload option?

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jannson, IOS Reload is BS in WiiFlow. You can only use it with a base IOS of 222/223.

Use USB Loader GX and follow the 'dirty' method. It'll then work on WiiFlow normally.

Cilph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bought myself my very own black Wii just for Skyward Sword:

Installed:
-IOS36 patched in IOS236;
-d2xv6 base 56/57 in IOS249, 250;
-Play five minutes of Wii Sports Resort to try out WM+;
-USB Loader GX, IOS Reloading disabled.

-> No issues at all. At final boss.

Janssonn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jannson, IOS Reload is BS in WiiFlow. You can only use it with a base IOS of 222/223.

Use USB Loader GX and follow the 'dirty' method. It'll then work on WiiFlow normally.

How do I that? Should I remove my other USB Loader first and install the other one? You didn't exactly help if you think so by saying it sucks. If I don't know the way to reach for results it is pointless to say it sucks. I like WiiFlow because the gui, It's just a personal thing I guess, it looks good, I don't really wanna switch WiiFlow out now.

Leeg

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the tutorial, I used the dirty one and it works perfectly (I wonder why is it called dirty XD)

thegreengiant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried everything, now i ask for help, i installed the wad and watched the Wii motion plus video, then changed the setting to enable reload iso, installed it using iso 249(dont have 236) but i get is a black screen. using latest usb loader gx, wii flow and cf usb
Any help would be appreciated

machikunas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't messed with loading games on the Wii in so long I can barely remember what I'm doing. I think I messed things up though. I ripped Zelda using USB Loader GX, then tried to run it straight away. Of course it rebooted the Wii. Then I went in and updated USB Loader GX with the foolish hope that is all I would need to do. It downloaded the update, did it's thing, and said it was going to reboot the Wii. The Wii stayed on but the screen was black long enough that it didn't seem like anything was working so I held down the power button to force the Wii to turn off.

Now when I try to run USB Loader GX it reboots the Wii. I have NO IDEA where to begin to try and fix this.

Fellow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm lost at the step: Create a WAD file for the d2x v6 cIOS with base IOS56, slot 249

Can someone guide me through it using ModMii?

EDIT: Looks like the dirty method is working.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the tutorial, I used the dirty one and it works perfectly (I wonder why is it called dirty XD)
It's "dirty" because it's not using the correct way to load the video.

When you use the original disc, it load the IOS require by the game (IOS56) and launch the file "main.dol" (the main game), which checks if you already watched the video. If you did then the game is working fine and show you the WiiMotion+ screen where you have to connect it, press A etc.

If you never watched the video, it reloads the IOS required by the player (IOS56) and load the player.dol (the video).
After the video you can select "return to the game". That option reload the IOS required by the game (IOS56 again), and load main.dol (the game).

" IOS56 > main > IOS56 > player > IOS56 > main" is the original and official way that the game use.

The problem with the USBloader happens if you don't block the IOS reloading: when it loads IOS56 which don't have the USB2.0 module then it don't see your game anymore on your USB2.0 HDD and the wii reboots.
"IOS249 > main > IOS56 > ... no more file visible".

When you block IOS reload : "IOS249 > main > player > main". It's using the correct method that the game is expected to load the video if the user never watched it. It's just not reloading the IOS before changing the dol, but it works only with D2x v4+.

The "dirty" method is just a way to tell the loader to load a different .dol file instead of the game.
"249 > player.dol". At the end of the video, if you select "return to the game" it will reload IOS56 which don't have USB access, and reboot the wii.
Go back to the USBLoader settings, disabled Alternative dol (to boot the main.dol again), and this time it will load "249 > main.dol".
It's only dirty because it's bypassing the official game method, but it's working fine and can be used for many games, like SSX, Red steel, etc. :)

Sorry for the long explanation.

I haven't messed with loading games on the Wii in so long I can barely remember what I'm doing. I think I messed things up though. I ripped Zelda using USB Loader GX, then tried to run it straight away. Of course it rebooted the Wii. Then I went in and updated USB Loader GX with the foolish hope that is all I would need to do. It downloaded the update, did it's thing, and said it was going to reboot the Wii. The Wii stayed on but the screen was black long enough that it didn't seem like anything was working so I held down the power button to force the Wii to turn off.

Now when I try to run USB Loader GX it reboots the Wii. I have NO IDEA where to begin to try and fix this.
If you are using the channel, then I think you need to install IOS58.
If you are using the SD or USB method with /apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol file, then check that the file is not 0byte
Maybe the update went wrong (if the zip couldn't be extracted fully, not enough space left etc.)
Even if it's not 0byte, just download the USBloaderGX files manually and replace your boot.dol with the one you downloaded and located in apps/usbloader_gx/ folder (don't use the one located in the wad folder or elsewhere).

"Of course it rebooted the Wii."
It's not obvious that it rebooted "because you needed to update".
You only needed to watch the Wii Motion+ video. It would have worked without updating the loader.

AlbeyAmakiir

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a legit, store-bought pal version of the game, but I'm getting the black-screen error. I've seen the video before, for a previous game.
It's been well over a year since I last did any hackery with my Wii (amazing what happens when I finally get a job and can suddenly afford games), and I'm woefully out of practise. The Wii still has some of the old hacks, like an old version of the homebrew channel and whatnot, but I can't remember anything about the underlying hacks to IOSs, though it does skip CD-forced updates. Also, most fixes here seem to be for versions that are not quite so store-bought. Considering I'm not using any kind of loader, but the real disk, what should I be doing to get my game to run?

Ha, silly me forgetting that real disks can be run by loaders. Never mind.

Phatt Johnson

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm new to the Wii softmod scene, and joined this board to say thanks for the tutorial!

I tried and tried using method one (before I even had a MotionPlus) but today after returning from the shops with a MotionPlus and method 1 still failing (using CFG Usb Loader - reset the Wii every time) I decided to give method 2, the "dirty" one a go.

I told CFG UBL to load the 'player.dol' from 'disc' (though there was no disc in this case - just an NTFS formatted 16GB USB flash drive with my backups converted to the right file/folder structure using WBFS Manager) and BOOM! MotionPlus video!
Actually kinda useful if you've never hooked the thing in before.. I was following the leaflet that came with the thing, but I had the fan on high so it kept blowing off my lap (gotta love Queensland summers (well in 2 days anyway ;))

After that, the backup of my Skyward Sword works a treat! Not too far into the game yet, but without this thread I'd still be stumped!

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
The word "summer" in the end of november makes no sense to a swede.... *look at the thermostat* *grabs 3 blankets and 3 sets of cloths* brrrrrr...

(sorry for offtopic :x)

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The word "summer" in the end of november makes no sense to a swede.... *look at the thermostat* *grabs 3 blankets and 3 sets of cloths* brrrrrr...

(sorry for offtopic :x)

Isn't summer the part of the year when you have your window(s) open all the time? If yes, it's summer here...

Shawshank

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi Wiipower,

I tried to follow your first post, but Zelda is always resetting everytime on startup :-(
I installed d2x V6 base 38 on IOS 249 v21006 and d2x V6 base 56 on IOS 250 v21006 with d2x installer v3.1
I used neogamma beta 52 with 'Block IOS reloading' option to yes and I load the game from DVD. I see that neogamma is preferring using my IOS250 for this game (D2X V6 base 56) and I think it's normal (so great job for this new feature, thanks a lot :-).

Do you have a clue for explaining why the 'clean method' does not work for me ? I'm sure that I already seen the motion plus video with wii sport resort, but it was with motion+ accessorie, and now I'm using a Wiimote+. Could it be the reason ? Note that for me, your 'clean method' does not play the video...
Here is a syscheck of my system :

Region: PAL
Le menu systeme v258 s'execute sous l'IOS36 (rev 1042)
Hollywood v0x11
Boot2 v3
71 titres trouves
20 IOS presents sur cette console
Il n'y a aucun 'IOS Stub' sur cette console

IOS (revision) IOS Stub Trucha Bug ES Identify Flash Access NAND Access Boot2 Access USB 2.0
IOS4 (rev 3) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS9 (rev 516) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS11 (rev 10) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS12 (rev 6) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS13 (rev 10) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS14 (rev 257) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS15 (rev 257) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS17 (rev 512) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS20 (rev 12) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS21 (rev 514) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS22 (rev 772) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS28 (rev 1288) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS30 (rev 1040) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS31 (rev 1040) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS33 (rev 1040) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS34 (rev 1039) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS35 (rev 1040) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS36 (rev 1042) Non Active Active Active Active Desactive Desactive
IOS249 (rev 21006) Non Active Active Desactive Active Desactive Desactive
IOS250 (rev 21006) Non Active Desactive Desactive Active Desactive Active

EDIT : I tried the 'dirty method', and the game starts now. Do I have to run the dirty method each time I want to play ?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have no idea why it's not working correctly for some people. And you shouldn't need to use the alt .dol method anymore, if you need it to start the game, something is seriously wrong.

And install base IOS56 in slot 249 and IOS57 in slot 250, then you'll be able to play 99% of all games without changing any settings. With base IOS56, you can play everything that uses any IOS from IOS9 to IOS56, leaving only games that require IOS57 and IOS58. And the IOS58 usb 2.0 devices support(like the usb 2.0 cam) is not working anyways i think.

PS: I think i know why it's not working, i'll talk to Davebaol about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo