Hacking Sky3DS+ Game Limit Error

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
One thing that helps me when my mSDs lock up on me or turn into super floppy is to do a full format back to default. I have a 128gb and it took me all day to do a full format. And that's on a cruddy netbook. Patience. I'm betting you don't have fakes. Formatting is a pain in the butt and is %90 of the problems.

First off, does windows even recognize the mSD cards? If so, open up partition master and see if the mbr has super floppy next to it. If so, one of the things I would have to do to on the blue button with diskwriter is first format it in diskwriter, then default format it in windows. Depending on the default (which is normally exFAT on large cards) I would first NTFS then use partition master to FAT32 it. It is important to do this because any FAT partition can easily become corrupted. So to clean the mbr properly you have to switch actual mbr formats.

I highly recommend using easeUS Partition Master to then FAT32 any mSD 64gb or above.

If windows doesn't recognize the mSD but does recognize the card reader, use a different card reader. Windows and card readers don't get along too well.

EaseUS must be Primary FAT32 and will default 32kb it. But to double check, run it under that other formatter I linked to and double check. You don't need to even format it. Just make sure the allocation size is right.

An occasional full (not quick) format can really help but takes a while. Also try not to move any files larger than 2gb on to the mSD.

I think the transfer limit is 2gb. I might be wrong. FAT32 has a file size limit for transfers. This might be what's making your roms go .bad on Sky3DS+. Hence the rom splitter tool from Gateway. Split 'em, transfer 'em, re-assemble them. Although, I think the limit might be 4gb, don't remember.

Yeah, it's 2gb. Just checked. Maybe try to trim the roms. This means get rid of the game manuals if you can. Try to make them 2gb or less. I know there's a great Sky3DS tool out there that trims better than any other program. Forget the name... where's fox? He should know. He wrote it. I loved it.

Sky Army Knife. It has a trimmer unlike any other. But some games are just too big. This means Gateway splitter.

Hope this helps.

Wow you have clearly no Idea how filesystems work and don't know anything about their components either.
Please don't write such nonsense to other people who barely know how to start a computer.

I won't go into much detail here because the whole post is plain wrong.
- Mbr is only rewritten when changing 'mbr formats' ->wtf are Mbr format? There is no such thing. Mbr stands for master boot record and is a program. You can clean it with diskpart for example. Even gpt has mbr parts in it.
- fat32 file size limitation is (2^32)-1 bytes. Since a 4gb 3ds image is 2^32 bytes it won't fit into the filesystem limitations.
- no 90% of problems don't come because the drive is not formatted. It's either a corrupted filesystem because the drive wasn't unmounted properly or broken hardware (e.g. Fake card) or in a 3ds case the games are too fragmented (this causes problems with sky3ds/gateway)
[...]

Too lazy to correct everything.

Last edited by GothicIII,

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too lazy to correct everything.
Okay... :rolleyes:

So here's what works:

First, do a FULL FORMAT back to your mSD defaults using Windows (this will take a while depending on size of the mSD). It should make it back into ExFAT.

Then download THIS FORMATTER and run it (doesn't require an installation, just double-click it). Make sure to select the right drive letter for your mSD. Make sure to use 32kb allocation. MAKE SURE TO USE A FULL (not a quick) FORMAT. So do uncheck the Quick Format option. Yes, this will take a while.

If you still have troubles, add an extra step and a do a full NTFS format in between defaults and the FAT32.

This should help your mSD retain the FAT32 format. Again, file size limit will still apply to FAT32. So use the Sky Army Knife tool to trim .ROMs under 2GB

OR

Try this awesome splitting/joining tool from GBATemp forums:
SimpleSplit3DS v1.0.1
Github Page
GBATemp Thread

You can actually re-join the split files with the same tool. This is preferred if you don't feel like trimming your 4-8GB .ROM files. Just remember to always split them into 2GB parts and to rejoin them in the right order. Or you will end up with a .ROM.BAD file again.

Last edited by Osmosis,

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@Osmosis

Your solution is just a waste of time. Formatting different filesystems to make a drive working. Sorry that's bullshit. A full format is only useful when the drive has bad sectors in it. Again the firmware of a drive is today that advanced that it will recover bad sectors automatically (in most cases). If that doesn't work, the drive is trash and will fail sooner or later.
A full format on a sd is just stressing the disk and wasting time nothing more.

No. 1 rule to get a SD working is to buy the drive on a trustworthy place and not on eBay.

tallpr24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally got around to upgrading my old sky3ds blue button card to the new sky3ds +. I used the same SanDisk Ultra 16GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card. formated fat32 with 64 cluster. I downloaded the lates t.bin firmware and game file , placed it in the root of my sd card. I then plugged it in to my pc via usb cable and i see the green led flash for about 5 seconds then it shuts off. I placed a good rom in the sd card. When i put the card in 3ds nothing happens. No game icon. Can any one help?

chin261

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
I finally got around to upgrading my old sky3ds blue button card to the new sky3ds +. I used the same SanDisk Ultra 16GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card. formated fat32 with 64 cluster. I downloaded the lates t.bin firmware and game file , placed it in the root of my sd card. I then plugged it in to my pc via usb cable and i see the green led flash for about 5 seconds then it shuts off. I placed a good rom in the sd card. When i put the card in 3ds nothing happens. No game icon. Can any one help?

try reinsert a few times when u are in the 3ds home menu :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday