Hacking Feedback MicroSD card losing format

BobTheOompaLoompa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been running into a problem while modding my 3DS. Twice now at random points when adding files to the SD card, the format was lost and I'm guessing something was corrupted along the way. While looking through a recovery program I noticed that it was pulling up >100GB's of data when I know for a fact that I added on no more than 3GB total of games/apps. The card itself is 128GB which lead me to believe that the file sizes exceeded the card through whatever is going wrong and that's why the format crashed?

I'm not new to modding systems and using CFW, but this is something I've never had an issue with until now.

I've run the H2TestW on the SD card and that came up clean. I've run CHKDSK through windows after formatting it to FAT32 and that came up without any issues as well. I've run scans on every single cia/file that I've used for CFW including all games and nothing there came up with problems.

Could this be a SD card issue? The card reader I'm using, (one I bought at Walmart and I just noticed it was made in China...). Or could this be a file I'm unaware of that's causing some kind of corruption?

I have noticed that both times this has happened was while I was configuring Retroarch and adding files in that folder. First time I was adding games to the download folder when the first occurance happened while browsing different files to add. The second happened immediately after ejecting the SD card and turning on the DS to find that it no longer could read the format.

Any suggestions of explanations of what I'm running into? I'm at the point now of going out to buy a completely new SD card and reader, but want to make sure the cause of issue isn't just from that.

BobTheOompaLoompa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What brand is the card?
It's a SanDisk Ultra. Had it given as a gift about two years ago and just pulled it out of the package now to use since I was saving it for such an occasion. I'm really at a loss though. Just want to make sure I somewhat identify the problem before going out and buying a whole new SD card

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a SanDisk Ultra. Had it given as a gift about two years ago and just pulled it out of the package now to use since I was saving it for such an occasion. I'm really at a loss though. Just want to make sure I somewhat identify the problem before going out and buying a whole new SD card

Sandisk ultra is okay to use, I use Sandisk card, perhaps copy the data off it and do couple reformat on it, like reformat it 4 time, which is card quad reformat, an user here before recommend quad reformat a troubled card.

BobTheOompaLoompa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sandisk ultra is okay to use, I use Sandisk card, perhaps copy the data off it and do couple reformat on it, like reformat it 4 time, which is card quad reformat, an user here before recommend quad reformat a troubled card.
Gotcha. I'll give that a go and see if I run into the same issue. I think I'm just going to avoid downloading Retroarch since that always seems to give me problems when I'm to the point of setting it up and adding games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its very simple. Below the page, you will find an option to see the list of staff members.