Hacking Shuriken USB (USB Gecko SE (clone))

sigmaris

Trophies
XP
Country
Just wanted to say I got one of these, it works great and it's awesome that someone is producing them again after the Gecko being out of production for so long.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
@happy_bunny , awesome to see this! :)
I was googeling about Gamecube Serial Memory Card I/O setups and I found your website.

I have a normal/legit USB Gecko myself, but I still do wonder... Did you make a clone of the USB Gecko, or did you use the released VHDL and EEPROM source codes for the Gecko USB SE?

Is there any significant difference between the usage/diy'ing with an FPGA or CPLD, or did you just use CPLD because that's what you are used to work with?

happy_bunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@sigmaris thanks dude :-)

@Adr990
its mainly cost, those bigger chips cost a lot more, so I took the Gecko USB SE code and removed the 16 bit commands (not used in the SE as it has no flash chips) and recompiled the code for a smaller cheaper device.

Reactions: Adr990

bungholio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my Shuriken USB a few days ago and I'm lost on what to do to make a connection between my white wii and PC.
1. Connected between Windows 7 USB port and bottom gamecube memory card port on Wii.
2. Homebrew channel from letterbomb exploit installed.
3. Got some kind of "CDM v2.12.06 WHQL Certified" whatever thing installed on my pc for this.
4. Got Gecko dNet 0.66.8 and WiiRD_GUI on pc.
5. Got Gecko 1931 and Wiilauncher r11 on Wii.

No idea how to make this stuff work. I can run a game but neither Gecko dNet nor WiiRD connect to the Wii. I have both Wii and Gamecube games I want to mess with. No idea of where to go with this. Debugger is set to on. I've been modifying PS3 games for over 4 years now, PPC isn't that tricky to me, it's just setting all of this up to work. I'm lost, I have no idea why it won't connect.

happy_bunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sounds like you are on the right trace, before we start trying to hack games can we check your basic setup please.

1) Leave the wii powered off but plug the usb gecko into memory card slot B and also connect the usb gecko to the PC via the usb cable.
2) Can you check that under Control Panel -> Hardware and sound->Device manger that in the sub menu Ports (COM & LPT) you have a USB serial port (in my case COM2 is my gecko) something like this

upload_2015-9-2_19-25-28.png

3) Next switch on the wii and start the home brew channel can you see the little gecko symbol light up bottom corner ?

bungholio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no such port. I kind of thought that's what the D2XX download was, it installed fine, but there's nothing there for a USB serial port. Also tried the VCP just in case, also nothing there. Restarted computer, nothing there. I've got Windows 7 64-bit and and 8 USB ports.

happy_bunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dam thats your problem both wiird and gecko dot net require a com port. If you follow the step do you see the little gecko sybmol light up in the homebrew channel. Do you see anything when you connect the device to your pc in step one something like unknown usb device etc

bungholio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought a virtual port was the solution to having an actual port? VCP for Virtual Com Port. At my workplace we work with hardware that has no com ports and just USB ports and we get things working with virtual port stuff that is beyond me. They aren't connecting to a com port on our pcs, why do we need a com port?

happy_bunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yes sorry you are right I was being lazy with my typing I mean "Virtual USB Com Port" you must see a "USB serial Port" in the device manager window otherwise the software got nothing to connect too ! So from here

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

you installed 2.12.06 WHQL Certified exe and all was lovely correct? what happens when you plug in the device to the PC does it say anything? installing drive drivers etc etc or unknown device or does it say nothing ?

bungholio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything, when I got it I first plugged it into my pc before anything and it somehow installed device drivers, and then later I grabbed that setup file and installed and it said everything was successful and good to go. I kept getting the blue screen of death with the Wii on.

EDIT: I'm dumb, connected it and now a USB serial port (COM5) has appeared. Now if I can get past the blue screen of death that would be great.

happy_bunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Good news half way there i think right next up is the wii side.

Make sure the wii is off connect the gecko to the pc make sure you see a usb com port number then plug the gecko into slot b and power up the wii can you get to the homebrew channel without the blue screen of death.

bungholio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can get things going without the blue screen of death, it's just a mystery connecting to games. WiiRD_GUI can't connect, just connects forever. Gecko.NET eventually gives up asking to retry.

If it helps I'm trying to use Wiiloader since that allows backups to be run with Gecko I guess, but it's a mystery to run. All the same settings with a few more, plus the option to instead of just boot the disk to instead go to homebrew or use the "rebooter". It's got to be that part that I'm messing up. I already sold my whopping 4 games and have just the backups, but I still have all 20 of my gamecube games. Trying to figure out where to go from here. I assumed Wiiloader would just read my backups and I could go from there, but it seems I need to use the "homebrew channel" or "rebooter" choice to get to other homebrew to run the backups, and that has to be causing the issue. All I have is configurable USB loader which works fine, but no amount of choices ever gets it working or I somehow end up with BSoD.

happy_bunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wiird and gecko dot net are timing out because they are waiting for a reply from gecko os. That needs to be running on the wii side. Gecko os only works with real games i think so you maybe out of lucky trying to hack backups thats my understanding of how it works i maybe wrong though.

bungholio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiLauncher

WiiLauncher is a simple alternative to Gecko OS application. It has most of the Gecko OS features and has additional features for downloading and editing cheat codes.

WiiLauncher automatically reloads and patches IOS 36 so there is no need to install unofficial (patched) or even custom IOS to run the channels (with the debugger or cheat codes) or the rebooter features. Full hardware access (AHBPROT) is used when applying such run-time patches. This access could be obtained by running WiiLauncher application from Homebrew Channel (version 1.0.7 or higher).

Guess I'll go rebuy games and test then.

Any chance this works with gamecube games or even the gamecube though? I still have my gamecube and all of its games.

happy_bunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
oh interesting if you run WiiLauncher then start wiird or gecko dot net (in that order) does the software connect ? never played with Wiilauncher my knowledge is a bit limited I just build the things check they work with wiird / gecko dot net / gecko os / kart kart wii and ship them out.

Yer should work with the gc you will need to be able to boot GeckoOS_1.06d on the gc, get that from here

http://www.retro-system.com/shuriken_usb.htm

sorry I am trying to help but my wii software knowledge is limited :-(

Last edited by happy_bunny,

bungholio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought SSBB again and put in a game disk and it instantly connects. WiiLauncher might be worthless for backups. I'll need to experiment more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up