• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Should spanking your child be illegal?

Should it be illegal to spank your child

• Yes, Make spanking illegal

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, a parent should have the right to spank their child

Votes: 52 65.0%

• Total voters

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
@Taleweaver
If it makes you feel any better, almost 2/3 of people on this forum agree that a parent has the right to spank their child. Keeping in mind that this forum is primarily left-leaning.
So because that this forum is so left leaning, I figured I would also ask this question on a right leaning website, FunnyJunk.
https://funnyjunk.com/Should+spanking+be+illegal/yNYXMlA/
There, you can see, over 80% of people on FunnyJunk agreed that a parent has a right to spank their child.
Now, of course, this is no scientific polling here, but I think this says enough. The majority of people agree with that the parent has the right to spank their child, from both the left and right. The left side has more people that believe that spanking is wrong, but being that minority is still only ~1/3, I think we can get a close enough consensus about this matter.

Although, I would imagine that if this were to be polled on tumblr then the results might come back as 100% people think it should be illegal, but I am not about to create a tumblr account just to ask that.

If anyone else would like to ask this question on other forums, with proper polling, then please do so. I strongly suggest that you copy my first post and use that as a template because it does not express any bias towards either way, which is important in making polls like this.

I thank you all.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

All i have to do is give the dad look lol , no need to smack any child no matter what they have done.
The dad look works best once you have actually spanked your kid before because then the dad look is far more intimidating to them.

My 4 year old will stop dead in her tracks when I give her the look. She has gotten a spank before, never a bare bottom spank and never even hard enough to even cause fleeting pain, but it was enough of one that just her emotions about it caused her to get upset enough to know that she doesn't want to experience it again.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
punishing your child should not be illegal, this is whats wrong with todays generation kids having no respect for others and mugging elderly, stabbing others.

we get told we cant punish our kids and teach them right from wrong because some panzy arse twat classes it as child abuse, and it has to stop thinking it will put a stop to child abuse.

im sorry but any sick parent that thinks its ok to use their child as a punch bag, will still do so even if punishing your child is illegal or not.

all these twats are doing is preventing kids from being taught right from wrong, if you go back to my great grandparents days they never had the shit we see now off kids, i mean look at todays world kids even stabbing their teachers.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@DeadlyFoez it...actually does make me feel better somewhat. I hadn't read the poll results (hadn't even voted until just now), but it takes only a few hardline posts to create an impression of "everyone is against me". I should've put things in perspective more. :blush:

Reactions: DeadlyFoez

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave a short answer earlier but I do agree with what a lot are saying. Spanking is necessary provided the parents communicate the reasons well. Hitting just to hit is abuse obviously. My parents were excellent at this.

Gosh, I love my parents.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
punishing your child should not be illegal, this is whats wrong with todays generation kids having no respect for others and mugging elderly, stabbing others.

we get told we cant punish our kids and teach them right from wrong because some panzy arse twat classes it as child abuse, and it has to stop thinking it will put a stop to child abuse.

im sorry but any sick parent that thinks its ok to use their child as a punch bag, will still do so even if punishing your child is illegal or not.

all these twats are doing is preventing kids from being taught right from wrong, if you go back to my great grandparents days they never had the shit we see now off kids, i mean look at todays world kids even stabbing their teachers.

God's word brings wisdom on the topic of raising our children and whether to spank.

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. Proverbs 13:24

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him. Proverbs 22:15

Withold not discipline from the child, for if you strike and punish him with the rod, he will not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell. Proverbs 23:13-14

Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying. Proverbs 19:18

The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame. Proverbs 29:15

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

Last edited by zomborg,

Reiten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not a parent myself so most of my thoughts come from my own upbringing and discussions with my friends who are parents.
The general conclusion I have come to is that spanking your child should not be illegal. Though it should only be used when all other forms of discipline(explaining, grounding, taking away stuff...) have failed. Or when the child has more or less knowingly endangered its own life or the lives of others. As others have noted, the punishment should be followed by a level-headed explanation, why the done thing was bad. Also the spanking should never injure the child.

As a small note, when thinking about this law, does anyone else have to think of that one South Park episode, where the kids got their parents arrested by telling the police they were molested?

Reactions: DeadlyFoez

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
63 percent said yes .... WOW! They have no right to have a children then. Disgusting. Oh yes, I bet most of them don't have a children and they don't know what children are like. I know because I do and children are preciously. You gotta have humble, understanding, patiently, discipline and teaching them.. That's a key. We have to teach them properly and that's our responsible. Yes, they might break the rules or cheat or ignored. My punishment is to put them in the bedroom with lunch or dinner but without a tv, video game, and smartphone. They will have to sit there thinking about it. Works for me.. They realised and they understands. :)

NO SPANKING, PERIOD! NONE! Spanking is a bad parents and DONT DESERVE THE KIDS because they don't know how to teach them, easy as that! SPANKING IS NOT THE ANSWER. IT WONT WORK and it will make them worse.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
God's word brings wisdom on the topic of raising our children and whether to spank.

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. Proverbs 13:24

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him. Proverbs 22:15

Withold not discipline from the child, for if you strike and punish him with the rod, he will not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell. Proverbs 23:13-14

Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying. Proverbs 19:18

The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame. Proverbs 29:15

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6
And this is why the bible is a great book to live by, well not this alone. I mean the messages that it teaches. If someone can follow the teachings of the bible and live by them then they become great people... most of the time. I feel the religion is a complete lie, but it's teachings are great.

Oh shit. I hope I didn't just derail this topic now.....

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this is why the bible is a great book to live by, well not this alone. I mean the messages that it teaches. If someone can follow the teachings of the bible and live by them then they become great people... most of the time. I feel the religion is a complete lie, but it's teachings are great.

Oh shit. I hope I didn't just derail this topic now.....
I agree with you. Religion is man made and man is flawed. It's not religion we must seek but instead a relationship with God. When we raise our children by God's plan we walk in wisdom.

Frankbel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
NO SPANKING, PERIOD! NONE! Spanking is a bad parents and DONT DESERVE THE KIDS because they don't know how to teach them, easy as that! SPANKING IS NOT THE ANSWER. IT WONT WORK and it will make them worse.
Based on which principle?
What you don't get and never get is that there is no rule that works in general. That's not mathematics nor physics.
There are children who need to be physically punished and there are children who probably do not need. And there is a gray area in which you need to use more or less spanking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...