Hardware Should I be worried about CPU temps?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
'
As in redownload the drivers? Something must have gotten corrupted as it's not behaving how it should. Is there an option to reinstall once I open the driver installer?
I'm pretty sure that NVidia drivers have an option to make a repair installation, the settings manager is really behaving wierdly, so that's just a precaution... unless you want to keep jamming "default settings" until it works. :P

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that NVidia drivers have an option to make a repair installation, the settings manager is really behaving wierdly, so that's just a precaution... unless you want to keep jamming "default settings" until it works. :P

Nah I'll trying to repair the drivers....bloody Optimus. Should I get a higher-end cooler someday?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nah I'll trying to repair the drivers....bloody Optimus. Should I get a higher-end cooler someday?
Only if your computer reaches the point where it's too hot to the touch. :P Your temperatures appear to be well-within expectations, so unless that changes and negatively impacts performance, you really don't need a better one.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only if your computer reaches the point where it's too hot to the touch. :P Your temperatures appear to be well-within expectations, so unless that changes and negatively impacts performance, you really don't need a better one.

Now if only my internet didn't suck balls, I'd be able to reistall the drivers by now. I'll let you as soon as I get it.

Edit: What the bloody hell?!

"Could not find compatible hardware"?

Might be the wrong drivers....

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably. Unless you disabled the NVidia card in the BIOS or via the GUI.
Nah, I never changed the BIOS settings ever since I got this, will try different ones.

I definitely need to install it over, Dolphin is now set on the IGP despite the control panel saying otherwise. This is pissing me off.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bollocks, bollocks and more bollocks. Reinstalling didn't do a damn thing, it actually made the f***ing profiles worse. Now I can't even change the preferred GPU. Lovely. This sucks balls.

Couldn't I do the opposite? Have the nVidia GPU as global, but set specific programs to use the IGP?

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the time, high pc temp are caused by the heatsink/fan being covered by dust. If it is a laptop, then the ventilation vents on the side can also be covered causing high temps. You should open up and clean the inside of your pc with the help of a guide, because sooner or later it will start to dramatically slow down, BSOD crash, and at the end not boot at all. The worse case scenario is that the motherboard melts or get burn.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bollocks, bollocks and more bollocks. Reinstalling didn't do a damn thing, it actually made the f***ing profiles worse. Now I can't even change the preferred GPU. Lovely. This sucks balls.

Couldn't I do the opposite? Have the nVidia GPU as global, but set specific programs to use the IGP?
Well, yeah, but that defeats the purpose - you want the IGP to be global as it's the less power-monging and heat-producing chip. If you use the NVidia one at all times, you'll be wasting power while just using the system - that's undesirable to say the least. Try resetting to Default again, or re-install with the same package (or use the update/verify tool that's built-in). I really don't know what to say, it's not *that* buggy on my end and knowing you, I doubt that you're doing anything wrong, so all I can say is "rinse and repeat"... :wacko:

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, yeah, but that defeats the purpose - you want the IGP to be global as it's the less power-monging and heat-producing chip. If you use the NVidia one at all times, you'll be wasting power while just using the system - that's undesirable to say the least. Try resetting to Default again, or re-install with the same package (or use the update/verify tool that's built-in). I really don't know what to say, it's not *that* buggy on my end and knowing you, I doubt that you're doing anything wrong, so all I can say is "rinse and repeat"... :wacko:

Well, then why the hell is it acting so wonky? I can't even select when to use the IGP and when to use the nVidia GPU, this is royally pissing me off to no end. I want to save power (even though I'm on AC nearly all the time, battery adds extra heat, but I use it when I go to my parent's house), but if this Optimus isn't buggy, why doesn't it work properly for me? I must be the only one on the Temp who has this issue. I already re-installed the drivers and it didn't do jack squat, having to sit through two reboots tests my patience (or lack thereof).

I don't know what to do, I just don't, and I'm tempted to give the who f***ing thing up.

I can't select the proper GPU/IGP, I can't right-click to enable the GPUs, I can't create the right profiles. I can't do anything right with this thing. Some day I'm having.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Heh... I would say "Send a message to NVidia support" but you might as well put a letter in a bottle and toss it into the ocean. Try sfc /scannow for any system file issues, uninstall the whole package, install it again fresh, if all else fails, use a System Restore point (made automatically before the installation) to return to the appropriate, semi-working settings... Sad to hear that you're having issues with this, I wish I could help more.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh... I would say "Send a message to NVidia support" but you might as well put a letter in a bottle and toss it into the ocean. Try sfc /scannow for any system file issues, uninstall the whole package, install it again fresh, if all else fails, use a System Restore point (made automatically before the installation) to return to the appropriate, semi-working settings... Sad to hear that you're having issues with this, I wish I could help more.

Uninstall, as in rolling back the drivers? You're right about contacting nVidia support, it would be like trying to convince an ex-con to not hurt someone after giving them a knife. I'm running the cmd sfc /scannow to see what happens. This sucks balls, that's all I've to say about it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm afraid I can't think of a better explaination as to why Optimus can't "see" your chips other than "something went no-no during the installation process", and the best way to fix that is uninstalling the drivers fully, installing them again and then, if that fails, rolling back to your original settings before the whole ordeal (meaning, the settings that didn't particularily like snes9x).

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm afraid I can't think of a better explaination as to why Optimus can't "see" your chips other than "something went no-no during the installation process", and the best way to fix that is uninstalling the drivers fully, installing them again and then, if that fails, rolling back to your original settings before the whole ordeal (meaning, the settings that didn't particularily like snes9x).

Well, I posted on their forums, hopefully someone will answer but I'm not holding my breath. I'll try rolling back and reinstalling, it could be the drivers broke something (which isn't surprising, drivers do that crap all the time).

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. Just figured it out. The switch was the cause of all my problems. So, I changed the physical switch back to the nVidia GPU, but, here's the thing. As soon as I did that, I was able to not only chose the IGP as the global processor, but, I was able to make profiles with the right GPU settings.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yep - Windows is full of ones that are literally useless. Think Tablet PC service which 99% of the time is useless as you don't need an on-screen keyboard or the Error-Reporting crap that (I'm pretty sure) nobody even uses. Remember to remove the features you don't use as well and make sure to prepare a Restore Point in case somewhere down the line you'll run into an error caused by a disabled service and you don't know which one. ;)

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep - Windows is full of ones that are literally useless. Think Tablet PC service which 99% of the time is useless as you don't need an on-screen keyboard or the Error-Reporting crap that (I'm pretty sure) nobody even uses. Remember to remove the features you don't use as well and make sure to prepare a Restore Point in case somewhere down the line you'll run into an error caused by a disabled service and you don't know which one. ;)

Oh, I'll be careful to make sure I disable useless services.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You could try using something like Process Explorer to check the services to see which ones, if any, are actually causing issues.
You know, instead of just firing a shotgun at a crowd and hoping you kill the bad guy...

If you just want a really quick check, look at the svchost processes. Those contain all the services (one instance might run one service, another might run 10 different ones at once, etc.) and if none of them are using even 2% CPU usage, then going through your services is a waste of time as far as overheating is concerned.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1