Shenmue 3 pre-orders start today and is headed towards full-scale production

original.jpg
After a surprise Kickstarter announcement during 2015's E3, little was heard of the highly anticipated sequel. You might even be forgiven to have thought it wouldn't even happen, being Kickstarted and all.

But fear not! Shenmue series creator Yu Suzuki updated us on the state of the game in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu, which the folks at gematsu have translated and also in an update in their Kickstarter campaign:

"Development is entering the final stage headed towards full-scale production. Early in the new year, I think we’ll be able to show you things such as new videos.

“We will continue progressing with development so that our backers and those who experience the world of Shenmue for the first time can do so with pleasure.

“Also, at noon on December 15, we will start pre-order sales for the PC version of Shenmue III, which received a lot of requests.

Those interested in Shenmue III, please check the official website."

The Kickstarter campaign even accompanied the update with new work-in-progress visuals:

a95ac8c030779c6273ddc148ece21676_original.jpg 162426e96fe48fd1254bed2aa9338305_original.jpg c2914dbf24fd052d70d95a69518ba851_original.jpg

So there you have it! Shenmue 3 is alive and well, and apparently coming next December!

:arrow: SOURCE

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UGH! I need to finish the first two games ASAP so I can move on to 3. Been playing UK copies on NullDC so I can transfer my items from the first game to the second :D

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the game's going to be garbage, I'd rather get nothing. It only takes one Duke Nukem Forever to completely devalue the IP to such an extent that any hope of future installments is dead and buried. I can understand where you're coming from, but I don't make exceptions from my pre-order rule unless I'm a 100% sure the game will be amazing, and even then I feel like a sucker. Don't have enough money to finish your project? Take out a loan. That way the developers have incentive to work, there's something at stake. Right now it's not the devs taking a risk, it's you, and that's no way to do business.
Who cares about getting shunned by the industry? Shlock games are released all the time, nobody bats an eye. Shenmue was a dead franchise anyways, there's nothing to lose here besides *your* money. You're right, nobody's forced to pre-order, but everybody does because the industry convinced people that it's the only way to get the game on Day 1 and get "goodies" that end up getting released as DLC later anyways. There has never been a video game shortage, especially now, in the age of digital distribution. Pre-ordering a product that's infinite in supply is pointless and only serves to scam customers ahead of schedule.
This is a one time deal it's only being made to finish the series. Yakuza series is the spiritual successor you are speaking of. Also Duke Nukem was a good game. It was just over hyped and everyone expected diamonds when we got a slightly better than middle of the road game. In fact the amount of time it took for duke nukem forever to come out, most people who liked the series had a change of taste as far as gaming is concerned so once the nostalgia left they were left disappointed. That was their fault not the publisher who did a good enough job salvaging a game that was always in development limbo.

But please continue taking the wizz out of the exceptions of the rule cause of how butt hurt you are over pre-orders. You simply won't justify paying full price so of course you will hate buying a game at full price before the reviews are out. That's what taking frugal to cheapness does to a person.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is a one time deal it's only being made to finish the series. Yakuza series is the spiritual successor you are speaking of. Also Duke Nukem was a good game. It was just over hyped and everyone expected diamonds when we got a slightly better than middle of the road game. In fact the amount of time it took for duke nukem forever to come out, most people who liked the series had a change of taste as far as gaming is concerned so once the nostalgia left they were left disappointed. That was their fault not the publisher who did a good enough job salvaging a game that was always in development limbo.

But please continue taking the wizz out of the exceptions of the rule cause of how butt hurt you are over pre-orders. You simply won't justify paying full price so of course you will hate buying a game at full price before the reviews are out. That's what taking frugal to cheapness does to a person.
What other products do you pre-order? Do you pre-order a car? How about a TV? No? Pre-orders are a ridiculous invention that exists almost exclusively in the realm of video games, every other sector of every other industry sells products once they actually exist. I'll happily pay full-price for a game, I'm not a charity case. I'll pick it up Day 1 if I'm interested in it, I don't need to read anyone's opinion to justify a purchase, but I'll be damned if I pay for it before it's ready. The practice is detrimental to the industry and contributes to half-baked games getting released, and that's a fact, jack. If everyone pays in advance then there's nothing to actually motivate devs - they already got paid, so there are no stakes and no risk of failure. The return of the investment came in before the effort was put into the project, so nobody cares. It's like giving a waiter a tip before you get served - that kind of backwards thinking needs to stop. DNF isn't the only game that was delayed for over a decade, so was The Last Guardian which I'm playing right now, the difference being that DNF was released as a buggy piece of crap while TLG is servicable at the very least. That's not to say that DNF was abyssmal or unplayable, but it was not "mediocre", it was below par in every respect.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Who cares about getting shunned by the industry? Shlock games are released all the time, nobody bats an eye. Shenmue was a dead franchise anyways, there's nothing to lose here besides *your* money. You're right, nobody's forced to pre-order, but everybody does because the industry convinced people that it's the only way to get the game on Day 1 and get "goodies" that end up getting released as DLC later anyways. There has never been a video game shortage, especially now, in the age of digital distribution. Pre-ordering a product that's infinite in supply is pointless and only serves to scam customers ahead of schedule.

People in it perhaps? So how you grasp the world, what happens next time they try crowdfunding? What happens next time they try to make investors interested in their project? You can't get away with that kind of behavior in the long run. And I don't think people are doing it with that intent.

I know, but it obviously works since so many do it. I don't view it as a scam, you're paying for what you're getting, how is that a scam?

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What other products do you pre-order? Do you pre-order a car? How about a TV? No? Pre-orders are a ridiculous invention that exists almost exclusively in the realm of video games, every other sector of every other industry sells products once they actually exist. I'll happily pay full-price for a game, I'm not a charity case. I'll pick it up Day 1 if I'm interested in it, I don't need to read anyone's opinion to justify a purchase, but I'll be damned if I pay for it before it's ready. The practice is detrimental to the industry and contributes to half-baked games getting released, and that's a fact, jack. If everyone pays in advance then there's nothing to actually motivate devs - they already got paid, so there are no stakes and no risk of failure. The return of the investment came in before the effort was put into the project, so nobody cares. It's like giving a waiter a tip before you get served - that kind of backwards thinking needs to stop. DNF isn't the only game that was delayed for over a decade, so was The Last Guardian which I'm playing right now, the difference being that DNF was released as a buggy piece of crap while TLG is serviceable at the very least. That's not to say that DNF was abyssmal or unplayable, but it was not "mediocre", it was below par in every respect.
It took me less than 2 minutes to find books and technology to pre-order. It's not exclusive to gaming (and no it wasn't crowd funding but from places like barnes and noble) But again that is your opinion. You can think what you want I suppose but it doesn't mean you are right for pulling anecdotal evidence to try and back your claims.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're not involved in the project besides giving out the license to use.

Well technically they lost the license after they chose not to pay to renew it and Suzuki now owns it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The first Shenmue ain't developed by Sega

Wrong

Reactions: Deleted User

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People in it perhaps? So how you grasp the world, what happens next time they try crowdfunding? What happens next time they try to make investors interested in their project? You can't get away with that kind of behavior in the long run. And I don't think people are doing it with that intent.

I know, but it obviously works since so many do it. I don't view it as a scam, you're paying for what you're getting, how is that a scam?
Video games existed before crowdfunding and before pre-orders - people would band together, start companies, passionately brainstorm ideas, procure funding and get it done, and, arguably, games were better back then. They'd put something on the line and either succeed or fail - that's business. If you're paying for something that doesn't exist, it's a scam by definition - you're buying a promise of a product, not a product.
It took me less than 2 minutes to find books and technology to pre-order. It's not exclusive to gaming (and no it wasn't crowd funding but from places like barnes and noble) But again that is your opinion. You can think what you want I suppose but it doesn't mean you are right for pulling anecdotal evidence to try and back your claims.
If by "anecdotal evidence" you mean "every single video game before the Internet got traction" then sure. And yeah, it's an opinion, and a strong one - subjective, but with plenty of arguments to back it up.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's all well and good, i just wish there was an HD re-release of Shenmue 1&2 so we can replay while we wait since this is obviously gonna be a real long development cycle, plus it would be a great way to introduce new folks to the series and drum up more buzz for Shenmue III

and it would be a lot better then having to dig out my old dreamcast/xbox

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Video games existed before crowdfunding and before pre-orders - people would band together, start companies, passionately brainstorm ideas, procure funding and get it done, and, arguably, games were better back then. They'd put something on the line and either succeed or fail - that's business. If you're paying for something that doesn't exist, it's a scam by definition - you're buying a promise of a product, not a product.

I don't think we are that much in disagreement with what you decided to comment on, I don't particularly like crowdfunding, and something as hard to predict as game development might be the worst use of crowdfunding. But if you burn/scam people in the video game business that is gonna be bad for you in every future endeavour, and depending on how severe it is it might be career suicide, so not a great get rich quick scheme where you don't have to worry about the consequences just because you "already got the money".

It's only a scam if you don't get what you pay for. If you pay for tickets for a concert that's a scam? I mean it doesn't happen until the date on the tickets so they tricked you. Until it happens and we can all relax again. You can do the same thing with apartments, buy the thing when the blueprints, foundation and some nice concept drawings are the only real things. Maybe it's just about semantics, call it bullshit instead and I would agree with you pretty much every time.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't think we are that much in disagreement with what you decided to comment on, I don't particularly like crowdfunding, and something as hard to predict as game development might be the worst use of crowdfunding. But if you burn/scam people in the video game business that is gonna be bad for you in every future endeavour, and depending on how severe it is it might be career suicide, so not a great get rich quick scheme where you don't have to worry about the consequences just because you "already got the money".

It's only a scam if you don't get what you pay for. If you pay for tickets for a concert that's a scam? I mean it doesn't happen until the date on the tickets so they tricked you. Until it happens and we can all relax again. You can do the same thing with apartments, buy the thing when the blueprints, foundation and some nice concept drawings are the only real things. Maybe it's just about semantics, call it bullshit instead and I would agree with you pretty much every time.
The difference here is that a concert is a one-time performance taking place at a fixed date with a limited supply of tickets - you know it's happening, and there's only so much space in the venue, so ordering ahead makes sense - your ticket has value. With a game that's not the case - release dates fluctuate and games tend to be delayed. Nowadays we deal with pre-orders of products that don't even have a release date that we don't know anything about. A better analog would be ordering a ticket for a concert that hasn't been organised yet - there's no venue, no stage, no band, just a promise that someone will show up. I mentioned that I expect the game to reach Gold status (original copy sent to the pressing factory) or at the very least be close to reaching that point. A concert is very much in a "Gold" state once tickets are up and the only thing that can stop it from taking place is an unexpected, unfortunate event that prevents the band from performing, like an accident on the road or a blackout. I was very clear in my initial post and I'm only really replying further because I keep getting hammered for something I think all of us know to be true. I'm not against crowdfunding per se, that's a gamble the investors are taking and it's their dime to lose. Pre-orders are a little different, they're supposed to "secure a copy" for you when in reality there has never been a shortage of a video game in our modern age. They're selling you "nothing", it's a chance for you to pay early for the same thing, and I find that egregious. Remember the Overwatch release, when people pre-ordered the game to get the "Origins Edition"? The "Origins Edition" is the only physical release of the game I've ever seen, I can go out and buy it right now. There's nothing special about it, and the name implies that there is. It's not the "Origins Edition", it's not any kind of special edition, it's just Overwatch, so calling it deceptively in such a way and hooking players on the premise of exclusive content that isn't exclusive at all is disingenuous and shameful.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm pretty sure the preorders are for the people who haven't Kickstarted it.
Actually after the Kickstarter thing they had their own Website where you could do the same ;) and I agree that this is a bad sign same as with these strange Backer goals they had.
I somehow think at the end this won't the game that everybody wants just remember Mighty No. 9 ^^

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually after the Kickstarter thing they had their own Website where you could do the same ;) and I agree that this is a bad sign same as with these strange Backer goals they had.
I somehow think at the end this won't the game that everybody wants just remember Mighty No. 9 ^^

So you're basically typcasting every game to be like Mighty No 9 because it's a kickstarter.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok bois, is first part still worth playing in this age or will I go crazy playing it due to old mechanics etc?
Im thinking of asking santa for DC just for this game.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
pre-order is a trap. based on my experience, it's always a bad bad bad idea. remember mighty no 9? no man's sky? assassin's creed? sigh, and people wonder why developers no longer release a demo.

farjo08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember when this was first announced that it would four games. Played the first on the Dreamcast. Second on the XBOX. Didn't think anything would ever happen since then.

I don't have a PC, nor any current generation console, so I won't back this or expect to play it. Too bad as I wish I could (without having to build a PC or buy a new console).

Maybe if there was a four game commitment, remake/remaster, etc. to port all previous and future versions to a specific platform I'd reconsider.

D

Deleted User

Ok bois, is first part still worth playing in this age or will I go crazy playing it due to old mechanics etc?
Im thinking of asking santa for DC just for this game.
Definitely absolutely 100% play Shenmue 1 and 2. The graphics are still amazing and it doesn't try to do anything mechanics wise that would be or feel outdated. Solid Virtua Fighter engine for battle segments still is great.

Also no matter what people tell you, don't shell out the $100+ for a Dreamcast copy of 2. The Xbox version of 2 is literally $2 CiB and is exactly the same(with added benefits of better framerates and no disc swapping)

Reactions: fatsquirrel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y