Shenmue Anime announced as Crunchyroll and Adult Swim Production

Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki to act as Executive Producer:

Crunchyroll announced today during Virtual Crunchyroll Expo that an anime adaptation of the Shenmue game series is currently in production.

b71de0ead936dd048485d003518edd391599244101_main.png

The third Crunchyroll and Adult Swim collaboration, based on the classic SEGA Dreamcast game series, will be a 13 episode series with animation production from Telecom Animation Film (Tower of God, Lupin the Third: Part 5), directed by Chikara Sakurai (Magimoji Rurumo, One-Punch Man Season 2). Shenmue creator and game designer Yu Suzuki will act as Executive Producer for the project. Further details will be released at a later date.

The original Shenmue game for the Sega Dreamcast released in 1999, with the sequel Shenmue II coming out two years later in 2001. Shenmue III was released 18 years later in November 2019, after raising $6 million in a Kickstarter campaign that launched in 2015.

:arrow: Source: Crunchyroll

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully they seize this opportunity to conclude the story

Yeah, they should just end it at this point. Shenmue III, if Super Eyepatch Wolf's video is anything to go off of, is a disappointment so massive in the face of the 20 years of progress open world games and especially 3D Beat 'Em ups like Yakuza that all it really has going for it is the story, which, let's be honest here, isn't going to be anything all that special even if it did conclude the story!

Reactions: guisadop

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully they don't keep it a CR premium anime i really don't mind waiting a week after the Simulcast or the borring commercials mainly on the States executive order for covid 3 times in a row -_- btw are both 1&2 on the og xbox I think one of them is

Last edited by chrisrlink,
D

Deleted User

Didn't the Shenmue guy originally plan on SIXTEEN different games, to complete the story?

Hopefully, instead of releasing more boring, tedious games, that story will be fulfilled via this anime - from what I heard, Shenmue III was pointless, not advancing the story much at all, a "filler" game to set up for "Shenmue 4" (if that ever gets made), on top of being an Epic exclusive.
sixteen chapters, not sixteen games, with games covering more than 1 chapter, it would be like 6 games tho

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

hopefully they don't keep it a CR premium anime i really don't mind waiting a week after the Simulcast or the borring commercials mainly on the States executive order for covid 3 times in a row -_- btw are both 1&2 on the og xbox I think one of them is
2nd game released only on xbox in america (it released for dreamcast japan only) and i think they later ported it to xbox as well

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Didn't the Shenmue guy originally plan on SIXTEEN different games, to complete the story?

Hopefully, instead of releasing more boring, tedious games, that story will be fulfilled via this anime - from what I heard, Shenmue III was pointless, not advancing the story much at all, a "filler" game to set up for "Shenmue 4" (if that ever gets made), on top of being an Epic exclusive.
Then why the hell did you play it since it's quite obvious the game wasn't meant for you and I can only guess you didn't even finish all games fully

Yay, more crap to try to relive a franchise that no one cares about.
Oh I'm guessing nobody cared about it and the kickstarter money just went over the double amount it needed by itself.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Oh I'm guessing nobody cared about it and the kickstarter money just went over the double amount it needed by itself.
No need to be defensive. The fact is that the game is hardly a success. It did a good Kickstarter campaign, but that doesn't mean it was profitable, as the publisher didn't really rave it's sales.

It's a niche product, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Zakie

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki to act as Executive Producer:

Crunchyroll announced today during Virtual Crunchyroll Expo that an anime adaptation of the Shenmue game series is currently in production.

The third Crunchyroll and Adult Swim collaboration, based on the classic SEGA Dreamcast game series, will be a 13 episode series with animation production from Telecom Animation Film (Tower of God, Lupin the Third: Part 5), directed by Chikara Sakurai (Magimoji Rurumo, One-Punch Man Season 2). Shenmue creator and game designer Yu Suzuki will act as Executive Producer for the project. Further details will be released at a later date.

The original Shenmue game for the Sega Dreamcast released in 1999, with the sequel Shenmue II coming out two years later in 2001. Shenmue III was released 18 years later in November 2019, after raising $6 million in a Kickstarter campaign that launched in 2015.

:arrow: Source: Crunchyroll
LETTTSSSS FRICKING GOOOO CANT WAIT TO SEE RYO HAZUKI KICKING GANG MEMEBERS ASSES WITH THE PIT BLOW AND ELBOW ASSULT!

Yay, more crap to try to relive a franchise that no one cares about.
Trust me a lot of people care about this franchise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7