Homebrew SD card question

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm aware that at least for the original Wii, there were or are issues with SD cards above a certain size.

Is there an ideal size SD card to use for Wii U and vWii? And what types of SD card work best? I can't seem to find anything online smaller than 32GB or older than SDHC, such as this -- would it work well?

I've been using a 256GB microSDXC in an SD adapter with no real problems -- I'm not necessarily looking to upgrade to anything bigger (in fact I was thinking about switching to something smaller since I don't need all that space as I finally decided to get a 2nd external HDD for Wii and GameCube games), moreso I'm just curious about what sizes and types are good to go with both Wii U and vWii.

Admittedly I am not an expert in SD cards, I'm aware there are different types like SDHC and SDXC but apart from capacity and speed I'm not aware of other differences in functionality. I just wanna make sure whatever I spend money on will actually work for the purpose I'm getting it, and figured this would be the place to ask that.

Might as well ask about HDDs too, would this work well for Wii & GameCube games on vWii (and a regular Wii)? It's what I've been using for Wii U, with a Y cable in case it doesn't get enough power -- I'll admit I never tried it without a Y cable, does anyone else use this one for their Wii U or vWii and if so would it work without a Y cable for either mode?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The only limitations I know are that it needs to be FAT32 for most cases.
On the Wii, the SD is controlled by the application on the PPC and not the IOS. This means there you are limited what the game has implemented. Some games like SSB for example only can do SD and not. SDHC, so for that game you can only use cards up to 2GB and probably also only FAT16, but I am not sure on that.
Also boot0 of the Wii U can't do SDHC, so if you want to use defuse you also need 2gb or smaller

Reactions: leejaclane

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the Wii, the SD is controlled by the application on the PPC and not the IOS. This means there you are limited what the game has implemented. Some games like SSB for example only can do SD and not. SDHC, so for that game you can only use cards up to 2GB and probably also only FAT16, but I am not sure on that.
All I care about is that it'll work for the Wii U cfw and homebrew apps for Wii U & vWii, like USB Loader GX and Nintendont (and of course the Homebrew Channel).

As long as the SDHC or SDXC card being in there while playing doesn't result in any games crashing, it's fine if I can't save screenshots to the card. Although, I believe there are hacks that allow games without SDHC support to still use the cards.
Also boot0 of the Wii U can't do SDHC, so if you want to use defuse you also need 2gb or smaller
Do they still make regular SD cards? Or "SDSC" as it's being called now? I haven't seen any in stock where I've looked, but I guess I maybe haven't been super thorough.

Regardless, I currently don't have much use for that, but it's something to keep in mind for the future I suppose.

Thanks for your help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright