Science decodes 'internal voices'

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Researchers have demonstrated a striking method to reconstruct words, based on the brain waves of patients thinking of those words.

Based on signals from listening patients, a computer model was used to reconstruct the sounds of words that patients were thinking of.

The method may in future help comatose and locked-in patients communicate.

Several approaches have in recent years suggested that scientists are closing in on methods to tap into our very thoughts; the current study achieved its result by implanting electrodes directly into a part of participants' brains.

Hello future, we've been waiting.

SOURCE
wow, this is the first step towards telepathy! EXCITING TIMES
but I don't want people reading my mind as I think :( wouldn't want anyone to find out I'm a perv deep down or something

Soon we'll start seeing people wearing metal helmets to prevent their brain waves from being read
I'd be arrested. Quickly.

Rife

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but I don't want people reading my mind as I think :( wouldn't want anyone to find out I'm a perv deep down or something

If people start reading minds we'll find out how much of a perv EVERYBODY is.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pair this up with the proposed piracy laws and it'll be quite fun :)

"That one over there, he is thinking about what commercial roms to put onto his flash card. Get him!"

Reactions: 1 person

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Researchers have demonstrated a striking method to reconstruct words, based on the brain waves of patients thinking of those words.

Based on signals from listening patients, a computer model was used to reconstruct the sounds of words that patients were thinking of.

The method may in future help comatose and locked-in patients communicate.

Several approaches have in recent years suggested that scientists are closing in on methods to tap into our very thoughts; the current study achieved its result by implanting electrodes directly into a part of participants' brains.

Hello future, we've been waiting.

SOURCE

Soon we'll start seeing people wearing metal helmets to prevent their brain waves from being read
I think it could be a fashion statement to wear tinfoil caps and take it off occasionally to have conversations to people.
Whenever someone would read my mind I would feel like im under pressure and think of everything not to think.
Imagine being in an interview and they're reading you mind and find out you're dying inside.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
That's why I always play songs by [insert unloved author here] in my head, so that anyone listening to my thoughts would have no incentive to stick around.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
When I read the first post, I thought about universal translators, sending idea of the sentence to a receiver implanted into another person's brain.
That would be a form of assisted telepathy or direct-translation of oral communication.

But it's for the moment only reconstructing the sound that you want to speak, not the word or the idea you want to communicate?

Ultymoo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, tin foil skullcap. This is great for the comatose and all, but it will get into the wrong hands (i.e. not hospitals/care institutions) and be abused.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto