Hardware Saving up for a PC build.... any idea how it will do Wii/GC emulation?

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I've completely redone this hypothetical build and added in future parts as "custom" parts rather than picking existing CPUs, motherboards, and GPUs.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/GoldenSun3DS/saved/kPGdnQ
This is the same link as the one I posted in the OP, but it gets updated automatically when I save changes to it.
Be sure to read the part notes on it.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Just saying this now, that RAM is ECC registered and buffered, which means it's for servers only. Standard desktop motherboards (even Skylake) will only accept non-ECC non-buffered RAM.

The biggest desktop compatible RAM you can get at the moment is 8GB per stick, so with 4 DIMM slots in dual-channel it allows up to 32GB, or 64GB on Skylake-E which would use quad-channel and 8 DIMM slots.

Also, getting more than 16GB of RAM will not give any performance increase in gaming or emulation. The only conceivable use you'd have for it is using the spare space and a RAM Drive and putting your cache files on there.

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just saying this now, that RAM is ECC registered and buffered, which means it's for servers only. Standard desktop motherboards (even Skylake) will only accept non-ECC non-buffered RAM.

The biggest desktop compatible RAM you can get at the moment is 8GB per stick, so with 4 DIMM slots in dual-channel it allows up to 32GB, or 64GB on Skylake-E which would use quad-channel and 8 DIMM slots.

Also, getting more than 16GB of RAM will not give any performance increase in gaming or emulation. The only conceivable use you'd have for it is using the spare space and a RAM Drive and putting your cache files on there.

What about this one?
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-ct2k8g4dfd8213

Also, I've updated the part list again (replaced RAM, motherboard and case).

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
That... Could work, I think. It's generally better to find a quad channel kit to reduce the chances of memory errors, but I don't see why a pair of dual channel lots can't work in quad channel. I'll have to look into that later today.

Horribly inefficient to get a workstation grade rig for your stated needs, when a far cheaper rig will perform just as well, but that's your choice.

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That... Could work, I think. It's generally better to find a quad channel kit to reduce the chances of memory errors, but I don't see why a pair of dual channel lots can't work in quad channel. I'll have to look into that later today.

Horribly inefficient to get a workstation grade rig for your stated needs, when a far cheaper rig will perform just as well, but that's your choice.

I won't be getting the motherboard now, that one is just so that I can have PCPP automatically check compatibility of the motherboard with the other parts. I will most likely be changing the motherboard before buying the setup.

As for the dual/quad channels, I just assumed when it said "X times Y", that meant it was a bundle of RAM sticks instead of selling one at a time. Is there any difference between 1X16GB and 2X8GB?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Simply, you cannot get 1x16GB non-ECC unbuffered memory for desktop computers (edit) YET (to clarify, DDR4 spec allows double density which enables 16GB sticks, according to Crucial, but a quick look on their website shows they don't have any yet). You can get 1x2, 1x4 and 1x8 GB sticks, and they are sold in packs of 1x8 (single channel), 2x8 (dual channel), 3x8 (triple channel), and 4x8 (quad channel) kits. The channel part isn't so important, but if your motherboard (like the X99 motherboard you picked) is quad channel, it's best to get a 4x kit because memory made in the same batch (I.e sold in the same kit) has the greatest compatability and lowest chance for memory errors.

You can mix and match, but the more different they are, the greater the chances of problems occurring.

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply, you cannot get 1x16GB non-ECC unbuffered memory for desktop computers. You can get 1x2, 1x4 and 1x8 GB sticks, and they are sold in packs of 1x8 (single channel), 2x8 (dual channel), 3x8 (triple channel), and 4x8 (quad channel) kits. The channel part isn't so important, but if your motherboard (like the X99 motherboard you picked) is quad channel, it's best to get a 4x kit because memory made in the same batch (I.e sold in the same kit) has the greatest compatability and lowest chance for memory errors.

You can mix and match, but the more different they are, the greater the chances of problems occurring.

OK, then how about two of these:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-bls4k8g4d240fsa

It would be two sets of 4X8GB and is only slightly more expensive than the other one I had before.

Also, the 1X16GB vs 2X8GB was just an example.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @ShinyLuxio https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.359035/