Hardware Saving up for a PC build.... any idea how it will do Wii/GC emulation?

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
"Some Intel H81 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs."
How would I update a motherboard's BIOS? Would that require a different CPU that functions with the current BIOS version?
sometimes, though usually they either POST correctly but can't install windows or can't POST completely but let you access the bios (uefi)
originally, it was done with a floppy and a bios flashing utility that had to be downloaded from the manufacturer website.
Nowadays it can be done by downloading a file from the mafufacturer website either on a cd or a usb stick, by either booting from the driver disc supplied with the mobo or using the bios flashing utility included in the uefi. (see instruction in the manual)

haswell refresh are also known as haswell-dt or devil's canyon and include the i7 4790k and i5 4690k

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sometimes, though usually they either POST correctly but can't install windows or can't POST completely but let you access the bios (uefi)
originally, it was done with a floppy and a bios flashing utility that had to be downloaded from the manufacturer website.
Nowadays it can be done by downloading a file from the mafufacturer website either on a cd or a usb stick, by either booting from the driver disc supplied with the mobo or using the bios flashing utility included in the uefi. (see instruction in the manual)

haswell refresh are also known as haswell-dt or devil's canyon and include the i7 4790k and i5 4690k

Thanks again.
One more quick question: Possible to put the Windows 8 install disc on a USB drive so it can be installed without a disc drive?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks again.
One more quick question: Possible to put the Windows 8 install disc on a USB drive so it can be installed without a disc drive?
Yes. I used Rufus to make a working Windows 8 USB install, it was the only one that worked with my particular setup (UEFI BIOS with no legacy boot option, Surface Pro 3)
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you're going for just running Dolphin, that computer build will probably work.
About a year and a half ago I built a desktop for playing Dolphin+PC games in stereoscopic 3D.
If you want to eventually play Wii/GC games in 3D, you maybe starting a bit low.
If nothing else, you probably want ATX and not MicroATX so that you have more space in the case/on the motherboard. The CPU is pretty weak as well.

There was a point where Dolphin officially supported Nvidia 3DVision, but it seems like it's not a direct option anymore. It can probably still be enabled outside of Dolphin with Nvidia Inspector though. I also ran into this build of Dolphin that fixed 3D issues in the Zelda games: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/572854/3d-vision/dolphin-stereovision/1
I'm running an i7-4770K OC at 4.1Ghz and an EVGA GTX 760. I can get most games running in 720P 3D with almost all settings at High. However, there are some Wii games that I can't run with much antialiasing - Xenoblade and Last Story. Last Story even lags when the CPU is OC to 4.7Ghz.

If you want to do 3D with Nvidia, there are 2 options:
Nvidia 3DVision kit + 3D PC Monitor
Nvidia 3DTVPlay + Compatible 3D Glasses + 3D TV/Projector
If you go this route, http://helixmod.blogspot.com/ is the site that fixes 3D in games that Nvidia neglected.

I'm not as familiar with the AMD side, but it seems like the only option available is Tridef.
Tridef works on both Nvidia and AMD and it is actively supported by the developer.
You are more likely to need something along the lines of the 2nd option in Nvidia: Tridef + Compatible 3D Glasses + 3D TV/Monitor/Projector.

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For now, I'm just going to get a weak computer that can just barely do Dolphin in 2D 1080p (720P or even native resolution for the tough to emulate games) at full speed and then later sell this build to make a real build after Skylake is released next year.

Skylake is going to use a new CPU socket, so it won't be possible to build a computer now that can later be upgraded with a Skylake CPU anyways.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
i'd invest strong now. 4670k+ kill everything dolphin has to offer once overlocked. no need to buy old hardware which you will dump later.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Whilst some motherboards can be updated without a CPU inserted, it depends on if that feature was added. See the motherboard documents (available from the mfr websites) for specific details for any given motherboard.

Some vendors will also update the BIOS for you if you request it upon placing your order.
Edit: didn't see the other posts...

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nvidia 3D support on Dolphin was dropped when they switch exclusively to 64bit processing to focus on multicore support and stability.

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugg. Turns out the person I had talked to was wrong and walmart.com purchases do not work for the discount.

I found a $498 i3-4130, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVD drive, Windows 8 computer (didn't mention GPU so assuming no GPU). That's about $373.5 after the discount so I'm going to go get it in the morning.

I didn't even end up building a computer, but I will after Skylake CPUs get released next year :)

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Posting what I posted over on Gamefaqs:
I'm getting a new pre-built* computer in a few weeks (i3-4130 CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, integrated Intel HD 4400, Windows 8.1) and I was thinking of getting a GPU (and also a bigger PSU for obvious reasons) to put in it a few weeks after I get the computer.

*I get a 25% discount from Walmart for having worked on Thanksgiving so this $498 computer is actually only $373.50 for me. It's an HP Pavillion but I forgot which model it was.

I want to get a GPU that is around the power level of the CPU (I.E the GPU isn't too much bottlenecked by the CPU or vice versa) as I won't be upgrading the CPU in awhile.

I was thinking about the GTX 660:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2152&cmp[]=2643

I noticed that the integrated GPU actually has slightly higher 2D rating, is that going to be much of a problem? (Since 2D stuff shouldn't require much power)

This one is a bit better than the previous one:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2561&cmp[]=2643
(GTX 760)

If it wouldn't just be a waste of GPU power with this CPU, I'd get this:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2954&cmp[]=2643
(GTX 970)

If I got this one, I'd probably reuse the GPU in a later build when the Skylake CPUs get released next year. This is assuming the Skylake CPUs have superior single-thread performance and not just higher core counts; otherwise I'd upgrade the CPU in this computer to a Broadwell or i7-4790K and expand the RAM to 16GB.

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would guess that a GTX660 would be around the level of that CPU. You could probably get it a lot cheaper than the other cards. Don't worry about the 2D rating - it's only 50 points behind and the 3D rating is roughly an order of magnitude better. As you pointed out, a GTX970 would be good for a future build. If you can get a GTX760 for a good price, it's a great card. However, you may pay more for the 760 and if you want to upgrade it later, it would cost you more overall.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Either go really cheap or really expensive IMO.

660 or 970.

If this is purely for dolphin, get just get a 660. If you want PC gaming too and will play the NEWEST pc games, get a 970.

If I were you, I'd get a 660, have fun with it for a year then invest in the new nvidia graphics cards next year IF you find a need for it.

Key to PC gaming is knowing what you want and need, if you're not sure, go for the best bang for buck purchase as around august time, prices plummet as new stuff is released. i hate the frustration of lost FPS in emulation tho which is why I always recommend getting a solid processor. skylake vs haswell won't give you that much of a performance increase for emulation because my 4670k overlocked eats up every wii/gamecube/ps2 titles emulated I've tried on it. honestly its a perfect time to play emulated games on PC as its hit its peak in terms of performance.

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'll go with the GTX 660 for now and use it as a selling point when I resell it to build a PC next year. Thanks.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice. If budget is a problem, then stick with budget build obv.

However, I would recommend a nice processor. You won't get the benefits of emulation unless you have a rocks solid processor which can handle everything butter smooth. I got a crappy AMD phenom for my first gaming PC build and was really turned off emulation on a whole. However, now I have an intel haswell.. Its just perfect and my first priority from now onwards when building is getting the procc + heatsink right because they can really last a long time.

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. If budget is a problem, then stick with budget build obv.

However, I would recommend a nice processor. You won't get the benefits of emulation unless you have a rocks solid processor which can handle everything butter smooth. I got a crappy AMD phenom for my first gaming PC build and was really turned off emulation on a whole. However, now I have an intel haswell.. Its just perfect and my first priority from now onwards when building is getting the procc + heatsink right because they can really last a long time.

This is just so I can have a cheap build that's just good enough for Dolphin emulation (atleast full speed native but I'll try higher settings first if it can do better) and some other (non-emu) PC games.

I will start saving my money and when Skylake CPUs get released next year, I will create a brand new build from scratch with a Skylake CPU and a great GPU* if the Skylake CPUs have enough increased single thread performance and not just higher core count.
*prices will no doubt change by then so I won't pick now

If Skylake turns out to just be higher core counts with less or same single thread performance (compared to i7-4790K), I'll go with a Broadwell build.

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done some googling and found some videos of people running some hard(er) to emulate Wii and GC games with around the same power level or weaker (in terms of single thread performance) CPUs:

Star Fox Adventures with an i5-2300 (mentioned in comments by video uploader) :

Last Story with an i5-2500K:

Super Mario Sunshine with a Phenom II X4 945:
Note: Weaker than the i3-4130 by quite a large amount

Super Mario Galaxy with an i3-2120:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505:
Note: Weaker than the i3-4130 by quite a large amount

Zelda Skyward Sword with an i5-2300 (mentioned in comments by video uploader):

Yeah I think this i3-4130 CPU will do just fine for Dolphin for sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)